• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Russell Okung on Dave Canales:

11 hours ago, strato said:

I think it is going to prove to be at least a good try if not a hit. I was a Wilks guy but with Morgan having an influence and Evero in the house I think we are in good defensive hands here. 

I really mainly wanted a strong leader for the head coach that feels secure enough to hire people that are maybe better at stuff than he is. 

Funny thing is he wants to do the same things Wilks wanted, run the ball to set up the pass. Wilks was hounded for that, it's a passing league bla bla but Dave is getting a pass for saying the same thing for now ...

Could have save time just giving Wilks a shot but oh well.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1
  • Poo 1

My thoughts are...

How do you think it would go asking Young to carry the team with his arm?

You do have to run the ball to succeed. 

Running game has long been touted as the best friend a young QB can get 

Canales came in saying this QB is one of 11 which doesn’t seem like a ringing endorsement of his passer potential. 

If if it isn’t any of that it is just a breaking down to total fundamental and hoping to build off of that, I guess. 

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

54 minutes ago, NCBlu said:

Funny thing is he wants to do the same things Wilks wanted, run the ball to set up the pass. Wilks was hounded for that, it's a passing league bla bla but Dave is getting a pass for saying the same thing for now ...

I like Wilks but passing up on him appears to be the right call. He’s had short stints everywhere he’s been which makes one wonder. And he was basically Ron Rivera 2.0. 

Canales represents a refreshing change from what we’ve seen so far.

Edited by Prowler2k18
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

42 minutes ago, strato said:

Canales came in saying this QB is one of 11 which doesn’t seem like a ringing endorsement of his passer potential. 

misconception of what the QB should be. no QB, especially a young/rookie QB, should be tasked with having to carry the team. you build the team so that the QB can just be a manager. that's the ideal and should be the standard. you build a team right and the QB should only ever be just one of 11.

cam fuggin spoiled us. he was a unicorn. we're not going to be getting a QB like that again. we need to all lower our expectations.

• Pie 2

5 minutes ago, rayzor said:

misconception of what the QB should be. no QB, especially a young/rookie QB, should be tasked with having to carry the team. you build the team so that the QB can just be a manager. that's the ideal and should be the standard. you build a team right and the QB should only ever be just one of 11.

cam fuggin spoiled us. he was a unicorn. we're not going to be getting a QB like that again. we need to all lower our expectations.

May be not in year 1 but by year 2 they had better start doing some heavy lifting in the NFL. Plenty of QBs can't but those are also not the guys likely to get a championship so those teams need to keep swinging at QB until they find one. The guys winning rings can carry their teams that year. The days you speak of are long dead and gone or Purdy would have a ring. 

• Pie 1

23 minutes ago, Prowler2k18 said:

I like Wilks but passing up on him appears to be the right call. He’s had short stints everywhere he’s been which makes one wonder. And he was basically Ron Rivera 2.0. 

Canales represents a refreshing change from what we’ve seen so far.

It was as much about leader and having a captain or whatever. I believe being HC is just s different skill set than being a coordinator. 

If we have that now I’m good. 

9 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Respectively: 

Except you know there are QBs that exceed that. 

Not sure how much lower I can take those expectations.

• Beer 1

4 minutes ago, strato said:

It was as much about leader and having a captain or whatever. I believe being HC is just s different skill set than being a coordinator. 

If we have that now I’m good. 

Respectively: 

Except you know there are QBs that exceed that. 

Not sure how much lower I can take those expectations.

i don't mean lower expectations of bryce, i mean lower expectation of what the QB SHOULD have to be doing. 

Are there QBs who carry the team? yes.

How many of the starting QBs in the league can do that? 

Is that the standard? If it is, is that a realistic one?

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, rayzor said:

i don't mean lower expectations of bryce, i mean lower expectation of what the QB SHOULD have to be doing. 

well, we have had 2 good QBs IMO in Carolina.  There leadership from the jump was pretty hard to not see.  And they were very different themselves. 

I don't think a QB has to carry a team.  I think good QBs to an extent have to be sort of the primary engine though.   Think you can go about that different ways.  I'd say Jake and Cam were both really tone setters.   There was an energy and fire to both of them that mattered (pre- Tommy Jone Jake at least). 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, rayzor said:

For the most part and there are certainly some exceptions but on the whole to win in the NFL it all goes through the qb.  

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, NCBlu said:

Similar overall philosophy doesn’t mean similar results or skill. Wilks was a bad coach. He was so conservative he made Rivera look like his nickname wasn’t actually satirical. He was stuck in the past in more ways than just “run the ball”.  His style would be good for winning a few games against the bottom feeders but useless against mid to good teams. Sure, that would be an improvement over last year but I’d much rather suffer some bad years trying to find someone GOOD than suffering many years with someone just good enough to win a few games, not to mention keeping us out of QB contention in the draft. 

• Pie 2

4 minutes ago, CRA said:

well, we have had 2 good QBs IMO in Carolina.  There leadership from the jump was pretty hard to not see.  And they were very different themselves. 

I don't think a QB has to carry a team.  I think good QBs to an extent have to be sort of the primary engine though.   Think you can go about that different ways.  I'd say Jake and Cam were both really tone setters.   There was an energy and fire to both of them that mattered (pre- Tommy Jone Jake at least). 

true. you have to have someone set the tone and i think that's what jake and cam both did. the teams matched their personalities because that was the culture that they brought in.

i don't know that bryce has that kind of spirit...i mean he might, but for me that's probably been the biggest issue, he just doesn't have this dominant personality. it would be great if he did, but he might not need to.

what we saw in jake and cam, we might have in canales, and i think that's where things like what okung is saying is good news. looks like canales is a cultural tone setter like cam and jake were.

i think we like to see the QB be that guy, but he shouldn't have to be. that actually should be the coach.

• Pie 1

16 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

For the most part and there are certainly some exceptions but on the whole to win in the NFL it all goes through the qb.  

but he should just be able to do it just managing the offense. i know the concept of a game managing QB isn't what we want these days, but that's really all you need if you can get all the other pieces in place and coach and game call effectively. 

we want a superman. if things are done right, we don't need one. i would like for us to be able to win without one.