• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Following the blueprint: Coaches work to tighten release time

On 7/18/2024 at 4:04 PM, Navy_football said:

Honestly, don't know if I agree with this 2.7s thing. Bryce is better outside of the pocket than in it. 2.7s indicates they want him to be a pocket passer. At 5'10", I'm not sure how realistic that is. I know they want him to be a Drew Brees, but he really does play more like Mahomes - to a much lesser degree of course. 

I was thinking the same thing. It's a square peg into a round hole type of thing. There's an argument that his movement and ability to create is the best part of his game. 

1 hour ago, JRaymond said:

Before and after. I guess the NFL ain't like taking the S2.

Oh boy...

1029792357_BryceYoungBeforeandAftercollage.thumb.jpg.4e73de24e152ff8d8ac0ad654d1c4355.jpg

To be fair, being subjected to turf-burn on every play changes a kid. It's a wonder that he hasn't been Carred...if he hasn't been Carred.

38 minutes ago, TD alt said:

To be fair, being subjected to turf-burn on every play changes a kid. It's a wonder that he hasn't been Carred...if he hasn't been Carred.

Make better pre-snap reads, process faster and better, have good footwork on every drop, and let the ball go on time, all these will go a long way toward avoiding sacks and remaining upright. The harsh truth is that he did have enough time to pass or throw the ball away, but he just ain't cut out for the NFL. Not gonna feel sorry for somebody who's being paid generational wealth.

Edited by JRaymond
  • Beer 2

On 7/18/2024 at 4:10 PM, strato said:

Well here we go. I hated him outside the pocket. Throwaways galore, getting run down from behind, and yeah he made a few plays too. That doesn’t seem like something that will translate from his school days. 

I suppose we’ll see.

I agree with this.  Besides a couple plays he looked much worse when things broke down and he was creating. Things were too fast for him physically.  Bunch of throw aways, unnecessary sacks, and bad decisions.   I think, like a qb like Tua, he needs to be in structure and not try to force things.  Just get the ball to the playmakers.

• Beer 1

People still dogging Bryce despite everything that was against him last year. There are guys in the HOF who would’ve crumbled if they had to deal with what Bryce did his rookie year. Let’s see how things play out this year and then grade him.

• Beer 2

On 7/18/2024 at 4:08 PM, *FreeFua* said:

There are so many examples last year where Bryce drops back and should throw the ball but chooses not to

the lack of arm strength, slow processing and terrible footwork shows up a lot. 

This whole 2.7 thing sounds really good but that’s never been Young’s game and Young isn’t a good enough athlete with a good enough arm to playing backyard football in the NFL

Bring on 2025

"slow processing" ....that's the first time ive heard that critique of his game. do you have examples?

Playing off script is different when your receivers are Alabama open vs NFL open. In the NFL, broken play add lib stuff requires a strong arm that can deliver while being run down from behind or side stepping…. Or it goes for 6 the other direction. 

In an average game, at least 8-10 plays break down and go off script, and that goes for every team. This is where big plays get made for either side. 

All it takes is 1 noodle arm throw in this scenario to determine a game…. Especially when you’re not exactly blowing teams out.

We saw in the Falcons game what happens on a come back down the side. Across the middle is a big no go. Only thing left that’s safe is a dump off or throw away, and even some of the throwaways were suspect. 

Our improved line will help to decrease the number of busted plays, but they will still come, and they pose the biggest risk to us winning. 

It’s all about arm strength, it always has been, and his better have come a long way. 

The thing is on those freelance plays we did have Alabama open, a few times, it seems like that happens more the longer the play can be extended.  

Pop wide open 15-20 yards downfield he can get it there. Doesn’t have to be a rope. But how often can he extend the play long enough for that to happen?

His margins are so small. I swear they need to figure out some way to seal off the backside pursuit on a ‘rollout’ type of move. I am not smart enough to figure out a good plan on that one. 

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

The audible vs the titans

check the highlights at the 1:58 mark. same game. does that look slow processing to you?

dude went to like his 5th read on a whole field scan in 3seconds. AS A ROOKIE.

Edited by dxpanther

3 minutes ago, dxpanther said:

check the highlights at the 1:58 mark. same game. does that look slow processing to you?

dude went to like his 5th read on a whole field scan in 3seconds. AS A ROOKIE.

oof and then the next play after he misfires on a rb screen

1 minute ago, dxpanther said:

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

oof and then the next play after he misfires on a rb screen

misfire? that's a spot throw! the rb ran the route not bryce! jesus save us