• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Following the blueprint: Coaches work to tighten release time

Honestly, don't know if I agree with this 2.7s thing. Bryce is better outside of the pocket than in it. 2.7s indicates they want him to be a pocket passer. At 5'10", I'm not sure how realistic that is. I know they want him to be a Drew Brees, but he really does play more like Mahomes - to a much lesser degree of course. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

There are so many examples last year where Bryce drops back and should throw the ball but chooses not to

the lack of arm strength, slow processing and terrible footwork shows up a lot. 

This whole 2.7 thing sounds really good but that’s never been Young’s game and Young isn’t a good enough athlete with a good enough arm to playing backyard football in the NFL

Bring on 2025

• Pie 4
  • Beer 2

6 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

Honestly, don't know if I agree with this 2.7s thing. Bryce is better outside of the pocket than in it. 2.7s indicates they want him to be a pocket passer. At 5'10", I'm not sure how realistic that is. I know they want him to be a Drew Brees, but he really does play more like Mahomes - to a much lesser degree of course. 

Well here we go. I hated him outside the pocket. Throwaways galore, getting run down from behind, and yeah he made a few plays too. That doesn’t seem like something that will translate from his school days. 

I suppose we’ll see.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 2

Yeah, Bryce has a lot of work to do - no doubt. Biggest being simply taking more shots downfield IMHO. 

But the OC needs to develop a playbook and call plays that work for him and the rest of the team. I do believe the playbook didn't match the players. None of them really, except maybe Chuba. It was bad. 

Design more plays that get him outside of the pocket. Not just, well drop back and if you don't like it, then scramble and outrun the best athletes on the field, so that you can have a chance to throw the ball to underdeveloped receivers (and 1 aging vet). 

• Pie 2

28 minutes ago, Navy_football said:

I think they mentioned that 2.7 seconds is just the decision time, he can still leave the pocket if its the best option at 2.7

• Pie 1

52 minutes ago, strato said:

Well here we go. I hated him outside the pocket. Throwaways galore, getting run down from behind, and yeah he made a few plays too. That doesn’t seem like something that will translate from his school days. 

I suppose we’ll see.

He was a rookie. I think those "plays" will become more consistent. He really didn't seem as risk adverse at Alabama. I think he lost all confidence last year. Confidence in himself, his line, his coaches and his receivers. Hopefully he can regain some sense of swag this season. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, Navy_football said:

Yeah, Bryce has a lot of work to do - no doubt. Biggest being simply taking more shots downfield IMHO. 

But the OC needs to develop a playbook and call plays that work for him and the rest of the team. I do believe the playbook didn't match the players. None of them really, except maybe Chuba. It was bad. 

Design more plays that get him outside of the pocket. Not just, well drop back and if you don't like it, then scramble and outrun the best athletes on the field, so that you can have a chance to throw the ball to underdeveloped receivers (and 1 aging vet). 

That is the only way I see it being possible. They are going to have to at least impede the pursuit somehow. He is not fast enough to succeed as a scrambling QB. At least I do not think he is. 

The downfield stuff fits in there too. But he has to be able to see downfield via lanes in the protection, pocket wise. 

• Pie 1

2.7 seconds is way too long. Last year, max pocket time by any team was 2.7 seconds, and only four teams were able to achieve that (Bears, Broncos, Ravens, and 49ers). The vast majority of teams gave their QBs 2.4 to 2.5 seconds to throw from the pocket. 

I wonder if this is Canale's way of admitting that Bryce has a looooooooooooong way to go. Babe steps, right? So much for the super processor. 

On 7/18/2024 at 4:17 PM, Navy_football said:

I cannot believe how much the narrative about Bryce has changed. It's a complete 180

• Beer 1

10 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I cannot believe how much the narrative about Bryce has changed. It's a complete 180

Before and after. I guess the NFL ain't like taking the S2.

Oh boy...

1029792357_BryceYoungBeforeandAftercollage.thumb.jpg.4e73de24e152ff8d8ac0ad654d1c4355.jpg

Edited by JRaymond