• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Why Ari beating Atl was a good thing...

Dirtyphill411

Ive enjoyed reading the posts on this site for a while now and this is my first thread so take that for what it is worth...

Ari's win is truly a blessing in disguise just as us losing to the Gmen and now dodge the Eagles was also a blessing-

First of all now the Cards are not going to sneak up on us- we have the tape of their D-line blowing up the Falcons and their Linebackers playing out of their minds-

(side note how is edge running only a little over 70 yds on 16 carries establishing a run game)

Edge is playing for money plain and simple- he will be jacked up for this game cause it will determine millions of dollars for his last contract- just ask Peppers (who I love as a player) but who has clearly stepped up in his contract year- BUT we do not have trouble with bigger backs running on us, it is the smaller scat backs that take advantage of our over pursuit defense - ie Brayton, thomas davis-

Warner is susceptible to pressure and mistakes no doubt and our outside pass rush has been great so far this year- but a good QB ie Brees/Warner can avoid this and step up and gain time to throw- Warner is no threat to run so if we can establish any type of pressure up the middle (i.e. middle linebacker blitzes) to go along with Brayton (at his natural DE position) and Peppers- warner will cough it up- this is where Kemo being back will help in two ways 1- he will be in on 1st and and downs and allevaite the time on the field for the rotation of Hilee/Lewis/etc who waste a lot of energy on pass rush, and Kemo soaks up blockers who absolutely overshadowed Davis and Beason in the giants game.

Godfrey is going to have to be on top of his game they are going to attack both him and lucas- they have recently rediscovered that a good TE/slot receiver can wreak havoc on a cover two and that will fall squarley on Godfrey- he will have to be disciplined enough to overcommitt to these type of underneath passes and allow several deep plays as inevitabley with Boldin of Fitzgerald will get behind Lucas-

If we can control the run from the line of scrimmage and allow the uninspired Trgo to go into nickle packages early and unleash both corner/zone blitzes from marshal and up the gut blitzes from Davis (not Beason, who is still better that Davis in coverage) we will absolutely control this game

Long read I know but I have had a lot on my mind not said

welcome...and i agree with everything you're saying especially the part abt us losing to the gmen...i would much rather play the cards than the eagles right now even though i think the cards will be tough

another thought abt how their dline dominated the game i think darnell dockett will be a free agent this yr...we could possibly get him for cheaper than haynesworth and he doesnt get injured every other game...him and pep could be a nasty duo if we could sign both of them

Also unfortunately we have the Sat night game which will negate any supposed time lag/time zone effect of Ari having to play at 10 am PT/1 pm ET

Although the one less day does benefit the Boldin being hurt- but he will play this guy played with a metal plate in his head keeping his sinus fracture from opening his brain through his nose!!!! R U Kidding me! I know hockey players play with type of injury all the time but lets face it Hockey players are in a mental state all to themselves...

Ive enjoyed reading the posts on this site for a while now and this is my first thread so take that for what it is worth...

Ari's win is truly a blessing in disguise just as us losing to the Gmen and now dodge the Eagles was also a blessing-

First of all now the Cards are not going to sneak up on us- we have the tape of their D-line blowing up the Falcons and their Linebackers playing out of their minds-

(side note how is edge running only a little over 70 yds on 16 carries establishing a run game)

Edge is playing for money plain and simple- he will be jacked up for this game cause it will determine millions of dollars for his last contract- just ask Peppers (who I love as a player) but who has clearly stepped up in his contract year- BUT we do not have trouble with bigger backs running on us, it is the smaller scat backs that take advantage of our over pursuit defense - ie Brayton, thomas davis-

Warner is susceptible to pressure and mistakes no doubt and our outside pass rush has been great so far this year- but a good QB ie Brees/Warner can avoid this and step up and gain time to throw- Warner is no threat to run so if we can establish any type of pressure up the middle (i.e. middle linebacker blitzes) to go along with Brayton (at his natural DE position) and Peppers- warner will cough it up- this is where Kemo being back will help in two ways 1- he will be in on 1st and and downs and allevaite the time on the field for the rotation of Hilee/Lewis/etc who waste a lot of energy on pass rush, and Kemo soaks up blockers who absolutely overshadowed Davis and Beason in the giants game.

Godfrey is going to have to be on top of his game they are going to attack both him and lucas- they have recently rediscovered that a good TE/slot receiver can wreak havoc on a cover two and that will fall squarley on Godfrey- he will have to be disciplined enough to overcommitt to these type of underneath passes and allow several deep plays as inevitabley with Boldin of Fitzgerald will get behind Lucas-

If we can control the run from the line of scrimmage and allow the uninspired Trgo to go into nickle packages early and unleash both corner/zone blitzes from marshal and up the gut blitzes from Davis (not Beason, who is still better that Davis in coverage) we will absolutely control this game

Long read I know but I have had a lot on my mind not said

You have made some excellent points here. I really hope our D-Line comes out as fired up for this game as the last, because they were a big reason for our success (obviously).

As for our linebackers, they are more solid than most people actually give them credit for. Hayes is a solid MLB who doesn't light it up or get gaudy numbers, but is Mr Dependable in the middle. Karlos Dansby is the leading tackler in this team, and I hope we can keep him, but the chances are someone will ridiculously overpay him (see Calvin Pace to the Jets). On the edge, Chike Okeafor isn't much to write home about, but Bert Berry is playing on a high level at the moment, and can be a force on the edge.

On Dockett, sorry, he recently resigned his deal and has 4 more years left I think, but he will need restructuring eventually, but he ain't going anywhere.

And our ground game, well, bear in mind that we have literally been unable to run on anyone this season realistically speaking. As far as we're concerned 70 yards is alright. Just enough of a threat running to allow us to set up the PA Pass. All things in proportion really :)

I agree with everything you said here except for Warner being overly susceptible to the rush. I heard this week on Sirius that he has the 2nd quickest release time of any QB in the league this year. Peppers said that, even when he was unblocked, he couldn't get there because Warner got rid of the ball so quickly. The secondary is the unit that will need to step up big on the D side of the ball. Of course, the run game will be central to our success on Offense. Stacking the box will be a recipe for disaster with #89, not to mention #87. Keeping Warner on the bench with a sustained running attack will be huge.

Great thought provoking post!

No doubt that Warner has a quick release but often his decision making can be a little suspect-

I rewatched most of the Ari/Atl game and noticed that Ari is totally predicated on the big play- sustained drives are just not in their makeup with out one big play- now I know that often in this league you usually need one big play of 10+ yds to break open a drive because it is often too much to ask for a team to squeeze out 4+ 3rd and short to medium conversions but Ari is really dependent on it

Also I watched Edge turn a lot of yds on draw plays as the outside rush overran and the inside push was non-existent and where their LBs got sucked up into blockers- THAT CAN/Should NOT HAPPEN with us- I believe if we just stay disciplined that we will prevail-

Case in point on their first drive the safety bit on a play action flee-flicker and Fitzgerald came down with a TD- GODFREY last game against N.O. TOTALLY sniffed out a similar play from Brees and broke up the pass to colston- this shows that he has matured

I think if we can make sure to

1. hold the LOS with our line and backers

2. make sure to get a jam on the whomever the slot receiver is (Breaston/Boldin) to prevent any easy releases and unopposed crossing

routes

3. make sure our safeties play their deep responsibilites and keep the game in front of them- This is tied to number 1 as if Harris is needed to drop in to the box WE ARE IN TROUBLE...

4. I am not so worried about their TE's as POPE is a JOKE and Spach will hopefully be needed to chip/block on Peppers/Brayton- I expect Brayton to have a bigger game than Pep but we need to make sure to roll the blitz to his same side more often to prevent his overpursuit from open running lanes and open draws

5. Ill say what is totally obvious but still a truism- if we can get pressure with just our front 4- no contest- but we can still win if we can roll blitzes comfortably out of our nickel and make sure to jam the slot/TE to preven the safe cross routes of their speedy Boldin/Breaston

6. One final observation on the ATL game- BAKER the rookie Tackle was OWNED the entire game---he looked slow- hopefully our grass will negate their TURF speed and WARNERS comfortzone and Their CROWD noise which I think was a factor as well

Archived