• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

“Waiting on the owner”

11 minutes ago, CRA said:

Nothing overblown about Tepper at this stage. 

Tepper has 5 seasons in the books as the Panthers owner.  5 different men have taken the field as our HC in that time span. 

Tepper has a soccer team.  3 years in.  3 different men have taken the field as their HC. 

Frankly, Tepper being in a small market with teams no one cares about..... gets less heat than someone in a different city would be getting. 

I was thinking this EXACT thought this am. We have a very kind sports media. 

19 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Right, that is the normal way teams operate when it comes to franchise players.  Sounds like the deal was in place, Morgan ran it by Tepper, and he approved it.  If it was Tepper saying "we need to trade X player or acquire this player" then yeah it would fall under the "meddling" label he has been assigned with.  This appears to be some what normal.  

As it appears on the show, it looks like Morgan had a deal, ran it by tepper and tepper wanted a extra 7th (which the giants said no).  If that is what happened that thats perfectly fine.

• Pie 2

9 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

As it appears on the show, it looks like Morgan had a deal, ran it by tepper and tepper wanted a extra 7th (which the giants said no).  If that is what happened that thats perfectly fine.

Didn't catch the extra 7th part.  Kind of lame IMO trying to change it up at all, but like you said he still accepted it without it and moved on.  

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

If you watch, the giants gm is like "really dan, a 7th?"

to me, that's the sign the Panthers basically acknowledge on paper....they lost the trade.  Looking for legit table scraps. 

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

Maybe you didn't notice how often the Giants owner was popping in? He expects to be in the loop and has a pulse on everything they're doing. He wasn't necessarily dictating anything but the Giants GM definitely reported any moves they were making or weren't making to his boss. Anyone who expected the Teppers to fug off and never be seen or heard from again doesn't understand professional sports

Edited by Mr Mojo Risin
  • Pie 2
  • Beer 3

40 minutes ago, CRA said:

to me, that's the sign the Panthers basically acknowledge on paper....they lost the trade.  Looking for legit table scraps. 

We definitely missed the window, but I feel Burns value was pretty much on par with Sweat.  Sweat and Burns are a similar tier player IMO and fetched similar value.  Obviously our window was when Burns had a couple years left and the Rams were desperate.  

17 minutes ago, Mr Mojo Risin said:

Maybe you didn't notice how often the Giants owner was popping in? He expects to be in the loop and has a pulse on everything they're doing. He wasn't necessarily dictating anything but the Giants GM definitely reported any moves they were making or weren't making to his boss. Anyone who expected the Teppers to fug off and never be seen or heard from again doesn't understand professional sports

Yeah. I mean, if I owned a team that would be some of the best part of it, being in the loop on that stuff and the whole draft thing. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 2

It caught my attention as well, but in that same Episode, Mara was talking the Shoen regularly about Barkley--Mara said, "He is our team's favorite player---by far."  Mara was also in the room (if I am not mistaken) when they sealed the Burns deal.   I can't imagine, however, Tepper taking the approach Mara took in that he was nothing more than an opinionated observer.  Tepper shares his opinion, and people here seem to see it as a directive--that is nothing I can prove, but it is how it seems to be, based on random comments. 

Bottom line?  You don't trade away a 26-year old star DE without letting Tepper know that it is going down.  He might not like the terms of the trade and decide he'd rather keep Burns--that is not a decision specific to any GM.

• Pie 4

So yall do realize that there is someone that has to pay the players checks right? I'm almost 100% positive there has to be some type of owner approval at the executive NFL level for any trades or signings regardless of team. Otherwise you would have dipshit GM's trying to save their jobs by giving up 3 1st round picks for Desuan Watson and a fully guaranteed contract in a lame duck year.

Edited by thunderraiden
  • Pie 1

Yeah no kidding he is gonna want to know and sign off. And as an aside, you could be in agreement with something but still want to be sold. If for nothing else than to get your money’s worth and keep people sharp. See what they are thinking, make sure you know what you should know.

Of course I don’t know about that Burns stuff but my feeling about rejecting the haul - it came from the top. And I would think Fitterer knew or had a good guess which way Tepper would lean before he went to him with it. Just because, day to day stuff you see and hear. Meaning yeah he doesn’t always have to say the words because they know what he wants. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1