• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Article: Stephon Gilmore on still being a free agent: There aren’t 64 CBs better than me

Stephon Gilmore and the Panthers appeared close to reuniting after the draft, but almost three months have passed since then, and the cornerback remains a free agent.

“There are still some good corners and safeties out there like Justin Simmons and myself that are still not signed,” Gilmore told Josina Anderson. “Honestly, I’m still being patient and staying ready until teams see what they have in training camp. But you mean to tell me among 32 teams that there are 64 starting corners that are better than me? I don’t think that. If teams want to win, I think they should sign the best players. I know I’m still a starter in this league. I started games last year, but the season doesn’t start until September, so we’ve got a while.”

Teams are being patient, too, and could be waiting until after Week 1 when vested veterans’ contracts no longer are fully guaranteed, though an injury to a starting corner could speed up the timeline for a team.

Gilmore, 33, is one of the few remaining free agents from PFT’s top 100. 

The five-time Pro Bowler, two-time All-Pro and one time defensive player of the year has played for the Bills, Patriots, Panthers, Colts and Cowboys. He has 31 interceptions and 140 passes defensed in his career.

Gilmore started all 17 games for the Cowboys last season.

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/stephon-gilmore-on-still-being-a-free-agent-there-arent-64-cbs-better-than-me

IMG_9764.jpeg

Edited by WarPanthers89

'98 Toyota Camry, ran when parked. Needs paint. 140k miles. FWD. $18,500.

Sometimes it's the price.

(And let's be honest, he was meh-ish while he was here (Pro Bowl is just a popularity contest) and he didn't act like he wanted to be here.)

Let's just move on.

There are an other CBs who have been successful in the past still on the market. Many are a little younger, but all have concerns like injury, inconsistency, or locker room issues. I guess what it comes down to are any of them better than Dane Jackson, can we afford them, will they come here for what we are willing to offer. Teams that went 2-15 and have the ownership we have almost always have to overpay to attract FAs.

So if Gilmore isn’t really interested or is too expensive what about Adoree Jackson, X. Howard, JC Jackson or some of the others. 

Considering Horn’s injury history I anticipate we got to do something to get someone else in that room but I can also understand waiting til camp to see who else might get cut. 

4 hours ago, Panthers Fan 69 said:

He will be a panther. No need to rush or put him through the rigors of training camp.  

Possibly will, unless someone makes him that good offer he wants. The gamble might be waiting it out and hoping some good team doesn’t lost s starting CB the first week of camp. 

I suppose maybe he would give them a chance to match. Maybe

Edited by strato