• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Vikings draft pick dies in car crash

15 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

As someone whom has personally suffered from the loss of a family member at such a young age (one of my sisters),  my hear and my prayers go out to his family and loved ones.  Such a sudden, tragic, unexpected loss.  

I'm not going to comment on my opinion of what should happen to the driver that caused this... as I know it isn't popular.   

The old Indian way?

You choose to drink and get in a car. You can't know that this is a bad idea that could end up tragic.

You willfully put yourself in a situation that could result in someone getting killed.

You drink and drive, you should be thrown in jail....first time.

You injure someone in a crash while you chose to drive drunk....attempted murder. Go straight to jail.

You kill someone while driving drunk...that's murder. Go to jail.

No second chances because the people you hurt/killed got no second chance.

I know laws like that will never pass because too many people in power do the same thing or have family members who do it and don't want it to come back and bite them in the ass.

But that's the only way it's going to stop...you throw drunk drivers in jail and treat them like the legit threats to public safety they are.

• Pie 1

You are never going to stop it. Just like you can’t bring people back. It just is an even if you make it all illegal you will still have it,. Sorry to say. 

Getting BAC measuring prior to an automobile's ignition is probably the best you are going to do, realistically. But that should help a lot. 

12 minutes ago, strato said:

You are never going to stop it. Just like you can’t bring people back. It just is an even if you make it all illegal you will still have it,. Sorry to say. 

Getting BAC measuring prior to an automobile's ignition is probably the best you are going to do, realistically. But that should help a lot.

Why are you apologizing for it? You doing it?

Won't end it, but it will slow it down dramatically and it will bring a bit of much needed justice. Can't bring them back, but you can sure as hell make the drunk drivers pay for it.

And I know it's not realistic,  because too much of culture is wrapped up in getting drunk and wants to make sure they don't get in too much trouble if they wind up being the cause of serious injury or death.

If you choose to do something that you know will limit your ability to control what you do, you should be held as guilty for everything you do in that situation you willfully put yourself in.

• Pie 2

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Why are you apologizing for it? You doing it?

Won't end it, but it will slow it down dramatically and it will bring a bit of much needed justice. 

Increasing punishment only deters crime to a point.  The vast majority of people who drink and drive are doing it with the expectation that they won't be caught (and 95% of the time, they are right, which is why they keep doing it; they don't consider the possibility of something bad happening and facing punishment).  Making the punishment more severe isn't going to change that, especially when this decision is made by those who aren't thinking clearly to begin with.

If cutting down on drinking and driving is the goal, then the solution isn't making the punishment more severe, but by making alcohol less accessible.  But that will never happen.

Edited by Mage
  • Poo 1

Posted (edited)

Replying to razor forgot to quote:

Sad to say would have been better, I didn’t mean I was personally apologizing for anything. 

I have driven with a buzz for sure. Long life, lots has happened. Also was a totally sober person for a long time. Seen both sides. 

The biggest issue as I see it is with people who have one too many and then it is on... they have lost all control and judgement when they have that one that pushes them over. That, is really dangerous. 

Edited by strato

12 hours ago, strato said:

I believe that requiring ignition interlock devices on all new cars has been proposed by the federal regulators before.

Curious to see if this passes before widespread automated driving(which basically would elminate the simple need for it).

• Beer 2

On 7/6/2024 at 10:36 PM, pantherclaw said:

As someone whom has personally suffered from the loss of a family member at such a young age (one of my sisters),  my hear and my prayers go out to his family and loved ones.  Such a sudden, tragic, unexpected loss.  

I'm not going to comment on my opinion of what should happen to the driver that caused this... as I know it isn't popular.   

My former neighbor was a 95 year widow and in great health. His family had one of those huge family gathering and many loaded up in a 10 passenger van for the trip. All died in a wreck on the way there, just awful. 

22 hours ago, rayzor said:

You choose to drink and get in a car. You can't know that this is a bad idea that could end up tragic.

You willfully put yourself in a situation that could result in someone getting killed.

You drink and drive, you should be thrown in jail....first time.

You injure someone in a crash while you chose to drive drunk....attempted murder. Go straight to jail.

You kill someone while driving drunk...that's murder. Go to jail.

No second chances because the people you hurt/killed got no second chance.

I know laws like that will never pass because too many people in power do the same thing or have family members who do it and don't want it to come back and bite them in the ass.

But that's the only way it's going to stop...you throw drunk drivers in jail and treat them like the legit threats to public safety they are.

My son in law was almost killed by a drunk driver. His friend walking down the sidewalk next to him was when a woman with 9 DUIs ran off the road. She had used her kid, who was in the car, to blow the breath meter to start it. Un-freaking-believable. Her family thought the punishment was harsh when she got 30 years. 

8 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

My son in law was almost killed by a drunk driver. His friend walking down the sidewalk next to him was when a woman with 9 DUIs ran off the road. She had used her kid, who was in the car, to blow the breath meter to start it. Un-freaking-believable. Her family thought the punishment was harsh when she got 30 years. 

I hope your SiL has made a good recovery and sorry for the loss in life there. Pretty traumatic experience.

The punishment was appropriate. She should never have been allowed to get that many DUIs.

3 hours ago, rayzor said:

I hope your SiL has made a good recovery and sorry for the loss in life there. Pretty traumatic experience.

The punishment was appropriate. She should never have been allowed to get that many DUIs.

Wouldn't the judge in DUI #8 bear some culpability? Ditto for DUI judge #7. It isn’t just her, I mean she has shown everyone what she is about; telling her no doesn’t work. 

22 hours ago, Basbear said:

My former neighbor was a 95 year widow and in great health. His family had one of those huge family gathering and many loaded up in a 10 passenger van for the trip. All died in a wreck on the way there, just awful. 

Terrible