• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

anyone getting an IPad?

TheSaint

I want star trek computers. No keyboard, just talk to it and it does what you want it to. When that happens, I might buy one.

You really want someone to hear what you say on your Gay/Bi/Fetish message boards??:D Typing has its place.

As a developer I have a pretty big problem with it. First is no flash support. I'm not a fan of flash and it will be replaced by HTML5/CSS3 eventually, but right now lots of sites use it and it needs to be supported. Second (and this is the big one to me) is that all the apps have to be obtained from the app store. If you want to develop for the ipad or iphone you have to have a mac(I was floored when I first learned this). Apple is forcing you into their products and that's not cool at all. It's a detriment to the entire developer community if things continue this way.

As a consumer it seems like a cool device that's simple to use. Simplicity is key - this is something you can give grandma to use and not have to mess around with which browser to use, which email app to use, etc.

I just really don't like the direction apple is headed.

As a developer I have a pretty big problem with it. First is no flash support. I'm not a fan of flash and it will be replaced by HTML5/CSS3 eventually, but right now lots of sites use it and it needs to be supported. Second (and this is the big one to me) is that all the apps have to be obtained from the app store. If you want to develop for the ipad or iphone you have to have a mac(I was floored when I first learned this). Apple is forcing you into their products and that's not cool at all. It's a detriment to the entire developer community if things continue this way.

As a consumer it seems like a cool device that's simple to use. Simplicity is key - this is something you can give grandma to use and not have to mess around with which browser to use, which email app to use, etc.

I just really don't like the direction apple is headed.

Isn't that what Apple has always done, and what allowed the IBM architecture to hit it so big in the first place?

Isn't that what Apple has always done, and what allowed the IBM architecture to hit it so big in the first place?

That's in the realm of hardware and was somewhat needed. Imagine if there were this many hardware platforms. But apple has gone to a new level forcing the development environment to be completely on their platform. This is opposite of what the rest of the computing world has been doing for the past decade(open, standards based development).

Apple is trying to take a step backwards so they can profit off the development and distribution of software as well as the hardware.

That's in the realm of hardware and was somewhat needed. Imagine if there were this many hardware platforms. But apple has gone to a new level forcing the development environment to be completely on their platform. This is opposite of what the rest of the computing world has been doing for the past decade(open, standards based development).

Apple is trying to take a step backwards so they can profit off the development and distribution of software as well as the hardware.

So essentially they're applying the business model they've always used on their hardware to their software too?

I wouldn't either. Touch screens are over-rated. They can be touchy (meaning the screens need to be aligned sometimes), break more often, and usually push lower resolution.

You can get a cheap netbook for $300, which is going to be far more compatible with, well, just about everything.

Archived