• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

To those with kids - SUV or Minivan

hepcat

minivan 100%. much more usable space and a much more practical utilitarian vehicle. you get stow and go seats and you're set. great for hauling things that aren't nasty, dirty, and smelly (but you lay down a tarp and you can do that if you have to). 

SUV is rarely used as a SUV, it's just a status thing and you pay dearly for it. minivan is cheaper price, but much more bang for your buck. 

plus, easier to get in and out of for everyone. height is typically just right for drive thru windows and ATMs (which is good if you're using a surgically repaired shoulder and will never again get the same range of motion you once had).

for myself, i won't ever not have one as my main driving vehicle. 

My wifes 2015 Town and Country blew up the engine at 170000 miles (kinda her fault dont tell her) so I had to get her a new vehicle. Kids are grown so we got a Tiguan. That van was frickin indispensible and parts were mostly cheap. They wore it out but the sliding doors, foldable seats to a flat floor, and big back hatch held a LOT of stuff. Drove like a car with a view. They are like configurable cargo trucks compared to SUVs, which is the shape everything is evolving into these days.

2 minutes ago, Lame Duck said:

Yukon XL or Suburban!  Screw minivans.

Unless you need frequent use of the third row, the Tahoe/Yukon platform is infinitely better than the Suburban/Yukon XL in terms of driveability. That extra 20" makes a big different in terms of driveability. I've had three Yukon/Tahoes over the years. Love that platform. Sure wish they'd put better transmissions behind those beautiful LS engines though. They're ticking time bombs after 100k and it's really easy to build them stronger.

• Pie 1

11 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Unless you need frequent use of the third row, the Tahoe/Yukon platform is infinitely better than the Suburban/Yukon XL in terms of driveability. That extra 20" makes a big different in terms of driveability. I've had three Yukon/Tahoes over the years. Love that platform. Sure wish they'd put better transmissions behind those beautiful LS engines though. They're ticking time bombs after 100k and it's really easy to build them stronger.

I have a large family (many kids and 2 large dogs) and we prefer to take long roads trips.  The extra trunk space is the life savior.

• Pie 1

I raised 4 boys with my 2000 Chrysler Town and Country. I'm now driving my grandkids in that same Chrysler. I have been in 4 accidents none my fault and no serious injuries. The last wreck they totalled it but I bought it back it only had minor damage but due to the age it was cheaper to total it. I will drive this van until it won't drive anymore. I love my van. 

So far I am loving the Odyssey. Great features and overall a well designed vehicle. So much easier to get kids in and out with the sliding doors, no banging the car doors next to you in tight parking lots, it's soooo comfortable. And best of all my wife is comfortable driving it. Maybe when the kids get older we'll get something like a Yukon or big SUV but for now the minivan is perfect. 

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, hepcat said:

So far I am loving the Odyssey. Great features and overall a well designed vehicle. So much easier to get kids in and out with the sliding doors, no banging the car doors next to you in tight parking lots, it's soooo comfortable. And best of all my wife is comfortable driving it. Maybe when the kids get older we'll get something like a Yukon or big SUV but for now the minivan is perfect. 

Glad it works for you.  The most important thing is the car that works for your family and sounds like you nailed it.  Odyssey is one of the best vans in it class if not the best (probably is).

On 7/16/2024 at 4:08 PM, jasonluckydog said:

I raised 4 boys with my 2000 Chrysler Town and Country. I'm now driving my grandkids in that same Chrysler. I have been in 4 accidents none my fault and no serious injuries. The last wreck they totalled it but I bought it back it only had minor damage but due to the age it was cheaper to total it. I will drive this van until it won't drive anymore. I love my van. 

i've got a burgundy 2007 town and country that my kids call the kidney bean. i had to staple the celling back up. it's just a reliable and comfortable ride for me. i keep thinking that i need to upgrade to a newer minivan, but i've just always been a 'drive it till it dies' guy. even when i get a newer minivan, i doubt i get one that is newer than 10 years old. 

minivans for life.

• Beer 2