• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

33rd Team article: It's time to rethink Bryce Young's expectations

TheSpecialJuan

7 hours ago, TD alt said:

It's a provocative article. Could be me, but I don't think that the analyst would bet his lunch money on Bryce being the long-term answer at QB. Despite all the obvious reasons why Bryce was in a bad situation, the times that he had a clean pocket, he was decidedly mediocre at best, and that's being polite.

The expectation is that he will never play to a level commensurate with what the Panthers gave up to get him. We lost on that deal. His---our "safe place"---really bespeaks of him being JAG...a backup. If we get more from him, color me shocked---pleasantly surprised. But I'm not counting on that any more than I'm counting on humanity to unify as a species and save ourselves and our planet from ourselves.

We're just going through the motions until we can truly see a better future ahead. It's going to take more than Bryce to really get us to where we want to go. 

The level of play we seen last season is not even backup worthy, it was more PS developmental type of garbage from a guy taken #1 overall. 

• Pie 3

I’m curious to see what this offense looks like. 

Every coach says they’re going to build around the strengths of their players but not a lot actually do. Canales actually seems to do that.

Canales talks about finding those plays where the QB plants that back foot and rips it and building off of those plays…

When did we ever see Bryce plant that back foot and rip it? Outside of one touchdown pass against GB. Other than that they’re tough to find. Even throughout his time at Bama.

So where in the hell is Canales supposed to start in terms of building a passing game?

• Pie 1

33 minutes ago, *FreeFua* said:

Every coach says they’re going to build around the strengths of their players but not a lot actually do. Canales actually seems to do that.

Canales talks about finding those plays where the QB plants that back foot and rips it and building off of those plays…

When did we ever see Bryce plant that back foot and rip it? Outside of one touchdown pass against GB. Other than that they’re tough to find. Even throughout his time at Bama.

So where in the hell is Canales supposed to start in terms of building a passing game?

I think that's what they've been focusing on with Bryce's footwork and mechanics, planting that back foot is key if he's going to make NFL throws consistently. 

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

They have to get that hitch out. I have said, with no credentials past common sense, if they teach him the 3 5 7 step thing they may be able to avoid the hitch he has in his footwork in the gun. He meanders and lollygags with that 'scan the field casual retreat' that he loves... and then has the hitch when he does move to throw. It is no good and hard to change. But if they do that straight up dropback and teach him That... maybe no bad habit. 

Like y’all are saying. Plant, throw.

lol then all you have left to worry about is he can’t see the field and that 'on the weak side' arm.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1
  • Beer 1

1 hour ago, *FreeFua* said:

Canales' entire NFL career has been consistent in terms of the type pass games he has been part of.  And it runs counter to Bryce Young.  It's about the deep ball and chunk pass plays.  Wilson, Geno, Baker.  No exception.  

• Pie 1

There’s going to be a lot of 2 and 3 yard passes and hope that someone else can make a play. He’s not and never will be a game changer. He can have this year because there’s not really a choice but it’s time to start looking elsewhere. 

Related question - given how Fitterer might have been one of the worst GMs in football history, why would anyone think the Young pick is an exception to his consistently awful talent evaluation? Young bring terrible is far more representative of Fitterer than if he somehow turned out to be good. 

20 hours ago, CPcavedweller said:

Suck for Arch Manning in 2026. 

I am high on Arch for sure and I know it’s very very early but his limited garbage time snaps last season left a lot of room for development. It’ll be interesting to see how he performs in fall 2025. 

We may have a more realistic chance to get Quinn Ewers in the 2025 draft. 

I did not want BY at one last year. I like the kid though as a person- He reminds me of the nice kid who bags my groceries or who helps me when I order flowers for the wife at the florist, instead a QB of an NFL team. He does not seem to have the athletic traits necessary to be successful at this level. That said, I’m rooting for him. He was surprisingly durable last season. While he looks like a boy among men he was tough. I hope the new staff can develop whatever traits made him a #1 overall selection. I’ll give him 1 more year- toughness and hard work can make a difference- I hope.

23 hours ago, CRA said:

Canales' entire NFL career has been consistent in terms of the type pass games he has been part of.  And it runs counter to Bryce Young.  It's about the deep ball and chunk pass plays.  Wilson, Geno, Baker.  No exception.  

Adapt or die. They need a little extra than what’s in their old books.

1 hour ago, strato said:

Adapt or die. They need a little extra than what’s in their old books.

NFL people tend to keep doing what worked for them in the past, specially when it gets tough. So many people with skills have decided to die on their hills. Fox and Rivera are great examples of this. 

This team needs heaps of extra. That's a lot to expect normally so the die might be on again. 

On 7/2/2024 at 9:14 AM, strato said:

They have to get that hitch out. I have said, with no credentials past common sense, if they teach him the 3 5 7 step thing they may be able to avoid the hitch he has in his footwork in the gun. He meanders and lollygags with that 'scan the field casual retreat' that he loves... and then has the hitch when he does move to throw. It is no good and hard to change. But if they do that straight up dropback and teach him That... maybe no bad habit. 

Like y’all are saying. Plant, throw.

lol then all you have left to worry about is he can’t see the field and that 'on the weak side' arm.

This means our offense is still going to be a poo show. Bryce has never done the 3,5,7 step drops and now we  think he can finally learn this at the NFL level? 

Bryce cannot run a traditional pro style offense because of his severe physical limitations. We are going to see a bunch of more games with that horrible 19/34 97 yards type bullshit unless some of our WRs can make something out of nothing. 

IF the defense we are playing keeps everything in front of them and tackles well its over. Camp out at 15 yards and wait for him to dump the ball off at 3-5 yards. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1