• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

33rd Team article: It's time to rethink Bryce Young's expectations

TheSpecialJuan

2 minutes ago, CPF4LIFE said:

That's pretty much every Sunday,  which is why I don't know how bryce supporters think it's gonna be any better.  This is the pros, everybody is good...you have to be able to play under the circumstances. It's never gonna be perfect. 

Yeah, kinda how a few of us predicted every game would look like Alabama vs Texas where he was actually under NFL style pressure. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 2

C- Dalton is out, someone else is in... pick your level of investment.

Year three camp is open competition chips fall where they fall

His contract isn’t cheap and is guaranteed. Is he too proud to back someone up? He needs to stay if he is being paid.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

16 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

We don't hit 1st, 2nd or 3rd round picks in the Tepper era. We already reached on a QB in Matt Corral that was an unmitigated disaster. 

We have to fix our talent evaluation, then build a real NFL roster, THEN we can do poo like take QB's every couple of seasons. 

We aren't anywhere near that. Most of of our backup guys are barely NFL caliber.

Okay so when is that changing? How does it change, and how do we operate in the meantime?

14 minutes ago, strato said:

Okay so when is that changing? How does it change, and how do we operate in the meantime?

In the same order I listed it.

1. Fix the talent evaluation

2. Use that better evaluation to build an NFL caliber roster

3. Continue to build depth and plan to replace key people as they age out and price out. 

Those are the cornerstones of building long term success in terms of roster makeup. Even at times in our history when we got Step 1 correct and then did a decent job of Step 2, we have never been able to maintain Step 3 for various FO and coaching/on field reasons.

This is essentially what Richardson was trying to do with the thought of emulating the Steelers. Our execution has just been horrible.

And we don't need to hit HR after HR at any of those steps, we just need to get more right than wrong. And you need to get the critical elements correct(core players, coaches, etc). Once that starts to go sideways, the whole thing falls apart and we are back to the boom and bust cycle.

As far as what we as fans can do? Nothing but watch. We the franchise, well they already think they are doing these things. I heartily disagree so we will see what happens.

Edited by kungfoodude
  • Pie 3
  • Flames 1

It's a provocative article. Could be me, but I don't think that the analyst would bet his lunch money on Bryce being the long-term answer at QB. Despite all the obvious reasons why Bryce was in a bad situation, the times that he had a clean pocket, he was decidedly mediocre at best, and that's being polite.

The expectation is that he will never play to a level commensurate with what the Panthers gave up to get him. We lost on that deal. His---our "safe place"---really bespeaks of him being JAG...a backup. If we get more from him, color me shocked---pleasantly surprised. But I'm not counting on that any more than I'm counting on humanity to unify as a species and save ourselves and our planet from ourselves.

We're just going through the motions until we can truly see a better future ahead. It's going to take more than Bryce to really get us to where we want to go. 

Edited by TD alt

28 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Everyone talking talent evaluation on Bryce and I get that, but EVERYONE had him as one of the first two QBs picked.

Not everyone. Some people, like the Tuna, could never see Bryce excelling in the NFL due to his size. 

As fans, we can only evaluate talent from afar, so we can't see everything and don't know everything. Pertaining to fans, if what you say is true, it's only because it was media-driven. But, if any fan is being honest (especially Panthers fans as of late), drafting is a highly imperfect exercise. A certain amount of misses are built-in. A long history of stats don't lie. We all knew that just as much as Bryce could be a hit, there was a higher likelihood of him not working out.

I mean, we're giving him a fair shot, but this is the time that he must sink or swim. This is the time for critical evaluation based upon his real professional play, not pre-draft evaluation based upon projection---in other words, "imagination." I don't think that anyone should apologize for that. The time is now. We have seen what we have seen, and we will see what we will see. Bryce must lead, or be replaced.

• Pie 1

41 minutes ago, bigjohn said:

Everyone talking talent evaluation on Bryce and I get that, but EVERYONE had him as one of the first two QBs picked.

I bet anything there were people who would not have hIm in the first round. They couldn’t come out and say it. Some have physical standards. If I were running a team we would miss on some people because of it but we would have established and quantified physical characteristics that need to be met. 

All wow he so smart and cute ...with zero 'hey this is the NFL we are talking about'. Political analogies are abundant but I am not allowed to articulate that on this ---- --- forum.