• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Should the Carolina Panthers extend Diontae Johnson?

There are a bunch of solid FA options next year. I wonder if that will cause the market price to drop a bit. Right now it’s at a high and we aren’t 100% sure how good he will be in a different system plus how XL and Mingo develop. I’d wait until the offseason personally…

• Pie 4
  • Beer 1

3 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

Extending a player that hasn't played for us yet would be a very Panthers move.

Not quite. doing it again when it hasn't worked before, now THAT would be a panthers move. 

Not like it hasn't worked before. Who have we last signed or attached a year extra onto his contract before... oh... checks Sam Darnold Notes... oh dear god 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 2

Depends on his behavior, but Id for sure do it if Bryce was truly clicking with him.

It's just the WR market is insane and this guy had some huge baggage. 

But so does Carolina.........

Morgan should have seen enough for there to be talks. Soon or later the Panthers MUST stop having 50 million in dead cap and be able to sign a couple difference makers. I think its either 3 or 4 years in a row with 50 million in dead cap, just piss poor GMing. 

This is those radio talk guys that are the sports equivalent of shock jocks. Just engineering an argument to get eyes and ears. 

I’m not even listening to that. I know the answer and it is no. If he has a great year he will probably want to stick. If he leaves his great year attracts another guy that wants one. 

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

1 minute ago, pantherclaw said:

No reason to extend him before the end of next season. 

1, he's looking to get paid, therefore he wants to perform well to maximize his pay day. 

2, is a waste of time to even think about at this time. 

So in other words don't extend him now wait until he balls out. Then pay him too dollar in the off-season after his big season.

Thank goodness some people aren't GM's in real life.

Extend him now we get him for fair value. This guy is clearly talented. He's going to ball out and we will have to overpay if we wait. When you bring in a talented WR you sign him right away.

It is fine to pay him a good contract but he needs to earn it. They have to pay somebody in ’25. He needs to fit and show he is that guy, in this offense. 

If he doesn’t, stick.. I know he is talented, but that would shift the perception of players, in regards to coming to Carolina. A great year for this guy probably means a great year for the team. A reversal of trajectory. Maybe another guy who is blocked but really good, gets another prove it deal. 

What do we know about him as far as holding up mentally physically over 17 games? Let’s find out. 

Edited by strato

39 minutes ago, SaltAndPepper said:

Not quite. doing it again when it hasn't worked before, now THAT would be a panthers move. 

Not like it hasn't worked before. Who have we last signed or attached a year extra onto his contract before... oh... checks Sam Darnold Notes... oh dear god 

season 20 20x1 GIF by South Park

• Pie 1