• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Falcons disciplined for tampering

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Ya gotta think about it, I mean going into FA if there's a player you really want at a premium position just start doing the math. Okay, what are the odds we actually get caught? Okay, the precedent is it'll cost us a 5th IF we get caught and we WANT this guy. Yeah, hit that motherfuger up, let's GO!

I'd pull that trigger in a heartbeat.  

• Pie 1

7 minutes ago, Gapanthersfan said:

Atlanta has a ton of talent and potential to be an up and coming team in a flashy stadium. Good for business. the NFL doesn’t hate ATL. Now if it were us?

we're not old enough to get that call

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 3

What a joke. Just opens up the floodgates for tampering as a cost of doing business. Call me practical but it seems like the contract should be voided and the player signs elsewhere is the only way to actually enforce tampering. 

Edited by RJK
  • Pie 3

On 6/13/2024 at 2:30 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Ya gotta think about it, I mean going into FA if there's a player you really want at a premium position just start doing the math. Okay, what are the odds we actually get caught? Okay, the precedent is it'll cost us a 5th IF we get caught and we WANT this guy. Yeah, hit that motherfuger up, let's GO!

Even if the 5th being lost is guaranteed, that’s better value than we’ve gotten from a 5th round pick since 2012 with Josh Norman.

22 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

Even if the 5th being lost is guaranteed, that’s better value than we’ve gotten from a 5th round pick since 2012 with Josh Norman.

You have to think about it in terms of trade value. What can you reasonably expect to get on the trade market for a 5th round pick? Certainly not a guy who is going to be a highly sought after free agent.

• Pie 1

If we had wanted to trade Norman we could have done pretty well better than a 5th in return. You know, the analytical path that just churns value upwards.

Which, I’d like to see happen with QBs being taken late. 

(Long, drawn out, grammatically incorrect) Question.

Would it be cool, with the intention that "To Hell with it, it's just a fifth" and then said player that we talk to signs with another team, and the NFL finds out we came calling too, and we lose that fifth for nothing? Still worth it?

I think they should've dropped the hammer to enforce the rules in place personally.

• Beer 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:30 PM, LinvilleGorge said:

Except we’re the Panthers. Suddenly the new punishment is all your day 1 and 2 picks for 3 years

10 hours ago, lumbeecheraw75 said:

(Long, drawn out, grammatically incorrect) Question.

Would it be cool, with the intention that "To Hell with it, it's just a fifth" and then said player that we talk to signs with another team, and the NFL finds out we came calling too, and we lose that fifth for nothing? Still worth it?

I think they should've dropped the hammer to enforce the rules in place personally.

I'd argue yes if you think it was giving you a better shot to realistically land a highly sought after free agent that you really want.

In the grand scheme of things, a 5th rounder is basically nothing. Mathematically speaking, you have about a 7% chance of landing a starter in the 5th round. 

• Beer 1

On 6/13/2024 at 1:11 PM, Tr3ach said:

Dolphins lost a 1st and a 3rd for talking to Brady and didn't even sign him.

Without looking it up because I'm lazy, so maybe I'm wrong... if I remember it was talking to both Brady and Sean Payton who were under contracts at the time, multiple times and possibly in multiple off-seasons (less certain on that last part if I'm being honest).

Huge difference between that and improper communication during an active free agent time period and with a free agent.  

Again, not looking it up, but think all this was, was the Falcons doctors (and others) talking to Kirk during that 2 day period, which isn't allowed.

I hate the Falcons as much as the next guy, but let's also still look at things objectively and know that those two things are far from equal.

Edited by tukafan21