• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: RB Jonathon Brooks (knee) may not be ready for the start of training camp.

1 hour ago, KillerKat said:

So 2 of our top draft picks already have injury issues. Great.

Are they really issues though? I mean one’s recovering according to normal schedule maybe he’s no Adrian Peterson lol and the other is taking it easy because of a tweaking a minor hamstring it seems we’re stressing the concepts and teaching more then anything. Let the young guns watch how things are done in the league work them in slowly ensuring good mental understandings of what we’re doing because we know the athleticism and talents are there.

• Pie 2

3 hours ago, Waldo said:

The fact is they should never have drafted Brooks. It was a luxury pick and deserves every bit of the crap fans are giving it. Not a surprise and not a good pick for the team. Injured project RB is still injured so big shock about a guy who wasn't ready to play much if healthy anyways, he needs work at this level. Just wait until the OG at center goes down again. Then we can talk about all the centers or OGs (since apparently that's an easy switch to make) we could have had playing at that point. 'But a rookie is too risky at center for Bryce but an injured project RB in the 2nd makes so much sense for the future.' An investment in the future? How about an investment in this season between the millions they spent on OGs with the current hole in between them.  

I mean, it's easy to discount the prevailing thought that if healthy Brooks was probably going to go in the first round. We took a chance, only inasmuch as he had an Injury, but with his prognosis judged to be pretty positive, we may have acquired a first round talent---thay is, a game-changing three-down back in the second round. As questionable as our talent is at the position, I have no issue with it. We aren't developing into a powerhouse in one season, so we can afford to take a chance.

• Pie 2

4 hours ago, Dingo_ate_Babies said:

We drafted him knowing he's not going to play right away. This was a pick for the future. We still have Chuba  and Sanders for this year anyway, so him playing isn't critical. I suspect we won't see him play till mid-season.

Matthew Bingo GIF

• Pie 1

I mean it's not like he was a knockout 1st round prospect before the injury, it's just an undervalued position and a week class on top of that. Texas O-line makes it easy for RB's and I concur with these negatives from the Bleacher Report draft profile

On the flip side, Brooks is not a strong runner. He is on the lighter side at 207 pounds, and it shows. Brooks struggles to run through contact at the line of scrimmage, and he regularly goes down on first contact at the second level. He rarely pushes piles or finds extra yards.

Brooks isn't a decisive or commanding runner, either. He often gets himself in trouble at the line of scrimmage. Brooks is not the type of runner who is okay with plunging ahead into a car wreck for three yards, even when that's the only option available. He leaves yards on the field as a result.

Brooks can be a useful committee back in the NFL with a chance to develop into something more. He has enough quickness and speed to be a weapon. Brooks isn't built like a true lead back, though, and he does not yet have the strength or decisiveness as a runner for that role.

GRADE: 7.0 (High-Level Backup/Potential Starter — 3rd Round)

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, t96 said:

uhh our roster and team expectations are exactly at a point where we can afford to sit/develop players. We need to build out a core and add talented players for the future period, nobody is expecting us to compete/contend this year. Teams solidly in their window (like the Chiefs, Bills, etc.) are ones who can't afford to use high picks or cap space on players who won't contribute immediately. 

I'd argue the main reason the Chiefs went back to back was their ability to draft immediate impact players the last 2 years. As a team squarely in the beginning of a rebuild we don't care about immediate impact, just starting to get some damn impact players at all. If they take a few years to develop so be it, we're not losing anything right now.

Sorry, but i completely disagree. We do care about immediate impact. Not for winning since we’ve sucked for 6 years, but because we don’t have a talented team. If a rookie can’t make an immediate impact, he’s not going to be some solid starter in year 2 or 3. Terrace Marshall has taken a few years but I’d argue that his inability to beat Robbie and Shi Smith for a starting spot in camp(s) showed us everything we now know.

Our rookies better be showing us a lot of flashes. If Brooks doesn’t start this season, that’s not a good thing and he won’t be better for it. Same with Wallace and Sanders. We don’t want a DJ Johnson barely playing when we’ve got mediocre starters all over the place.

• Pie 1

26 minutes ago, lightsout said:

D-Will did basically nothing his entire rookie season.

He'll be fine folks.

800 total yards (4th on team) as a backup RB isn’t nothing. Williams was like CMC his rookie year except CMC had way more targets so 200 more yards.

I’m less worried about Brooks total contributions this year. I’m more worried about the fact that we, yet again, are incorrect in our assessments. We’ve had a lot of injury issues under the prior two GMs in FAs and draftees.

As long as Brooks flashes and takes over the starting spot, we’ll be OK. It would suck if he gets shelved after we fall out of contention and he can’t beat Hubbard/Sanders.

3 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

800 total yards (4th on team) as a backup RB isn’t nothing. Williams was like CMC his rookie year except CMC had way more targets so 200 more yards.

I’m less worried about Brooks total contributions this year. I’m more worried about the fact that we, yet again, are incorrect in our assessments. We’ve had a lot of injury issues under the prior two GMs in FAs and draftees.

As long as Brooks flashes and takes over the starting spot, we’ll be OK. It would suck if he gets shelved after we fall out of contention and he can’t beat Hubbard/Sanders.

I think despite the “I’ll be ready by camp” narrative, the team doctors looked under the hood and it was known what to anticipate from a recovery standpoint.  Can’t argue with the folks that are down on this pick though. Shouldn’t be looking to plug a hole with a sieve. 

I do wish the young man a speedy recovery and that he performs well when he is back healthy. 

• Pie 1

I am ok with the pick.

If all of you are correct about how bad we will be, then if it takes him a full year to get fully healthy it won't matter.  If Bryce is as bad this upcoming year as he was last year, then we draft a qb and the new guy has a fully healthy Brooks in the backfield, and we can spend our draft picks on other positions.  

• Pie 2