• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the Carolina Panthers found themselves in the worst situation

13 minutes ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

I know a lot of people who don't think Cam is the QB god he's made out to be. They don't hate him, but they also don't think he's a HoF qb. They were more tired of the fans falling all over him and ignoring some of his weaknesses because he could truck a LB without slowing down. 

Same people like Darnold because He's a likable enough guy and easy to root for.  They also realize he has talent, but is scatterbrained and gonna make a lot of money as a career backup. 

Cam has a very different personality and I think you either relate to it or you don't. The whole outfit thing caused a disconnect for a lot of people, coupled with a lack of winning, changed people's perspective about him. Doesn't mean they were right, I think it just caused a disconnect. 

No, it's a very simple logic test for a Panthers fan.

One is one of the best players in franchise history and our only NFL MVP. The other is a typical first round complete bust.

If you really have to get in the minutiae of their personalities or what they are wearing, once again, football is just not really for you. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2
  • Flames 2

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

One is one of the best players in franchise history and our only NFL MVP. The other is a typical first round complete bust.

If you really have to get in the minutiae of their personalities or what they are wearing, once again, football is just not really for you. 

Who is saying they wanted Darnold over Cam? I didn’t realize Cam was still starting. Heck, there was never even a Cam vs Darnold choice. I’ve only seen Darnold mentioned likely because he’s now the starter in Minnesota and we have Young. Reminiscent of watching Mayfield look decent while our super processor had problems. Is Young so good that it’s racist to not want him over Darnold and 4 more quality starters?

24 minutes ago, WhoKnows said:

Who is saying they wanted Darnold over Cam? I didn’t realize Cam was still starting. Heck, there was never even a Cam vs Darnold choice. I’ve only seen Darnold mentioned likely because he’s now the starter in Minnesota and we have Young. Reminiscent of watching Mayfield look decent while our super processor had problems. Is Young so good that it’s racist to not want him over Darnold and 4 more quality starters?

Unfortunately for some people, that is how they think. It’s just football for most.

Edited by strato
  • Pie 1

On 6/13/2024 at 12:29 PM, strato said:

Are you guys trying to say that the Cam ‘haters’  exactly mirror the Darnold ‘lovers”? Same people? 

I don’t think that is it at all. I think it is more likely to be different people, probably with some overlap.

This racism thing, when most of the team and league is Black and people are big fans of plenty of Black players, but have football issues with one or two and that makes them a racist? I don’t understand that at all.

I will tell you also, Sam Darnold at the price he would have cost, and all that cost invested in other areas plus we’d have DJ Moore, was a far better option than what they did. 

When you look at the talent levels, game day experience, and teammate support/recognition, what is left? It doesn't matter how many AA players are in the league, fans still want their players to behave and look a certain way. Cam is no more flashier than say Joe Burrow and to date there have been no concerns about Burrow's character, wardrobe, or leadership skills. It's the Richard Sherman debacle after the play against Crabtree to go to the championship. It's the fact that CMC basically sat and collected a check for the last two years here, but people act like he was a franchise cornerstone. It's how Cam was the MVP leading the number one scoring offense, but people say Luke and the defense were the only reason we were good that year. Sam Darnold shouldn't be talked about in the same stratosphere as Cam for any reason ever, but here we are doing it. Why do you think that is? 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

57 minutes ago, NorthTryon said:

When you look at the talent levels, game day experience, and teammate support/recognition, what is left? It doesn't matter how many AA players are in the league, fans still want their players to behave and look a certain way. Cam is no more flashier than say Joe Burrow and to date there have been no concerns about Burrow's character, wardrobe, or leadership skills. It's the Richard Sherman debacle after the play against Crabtree to go to the championship. It's the fact that CMC basically sat and collected a check for the last two years here, but people act like he was a franchise cornerstone. It's how Cam was the MVP leading the number one scoring offense, but people say Luke and the defense were the only reason we were good that year. Sam Darnold shouldn't be talked about in the same stratosphere as Cam for any reason ever, but here we are doing it. Why do you think that is? 

Honestly I think you are more sensitive to other people’s opinions a little more than I am in the sense that the lack of a tie and the disciplining that resulted didn’t make me think much besides someone was being an asshole. And I don’t care if other people don’t think that; it won’t really change how I view it. They are free to think it.

WTF does CMC have to do with it? I am sorry I don’t get it. 

And I don’t see people talking about Darnold vs Cam the way you say. I really just think you might be looking and waiting for a chance to be taking some umbrage with stuff that seems to me is really fairly isolated and not reflective of how most of us think.

Maybe you think we think that way? No offense really, I am just not seeing what you are seeing. If I say a criticism of a player I promise it is not motivated by some agenda other than football ands winning. Or losing wtf it is the Panthers. If that changes I will for sure preface what I say with my reasons for saying it. 

And I know what saying this stuff may lead to in terms of characterization language but I hope it doesn’t.

Edited by strato

3 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

The men aren't just guys on a football field anymore. They're constantly part of an interaction with the fan base through press conferences and actions and events outside of the football field. John Madden was one of the best commentators of all time because of how well he could relate to the audience. There's been a laundry list of terrible ones. You don't know Cam or Sam any more than I do. So for to pass judgement that I somehow can't be a football fan because I relate to one player more than I do another is stupid. 

Cam is one of the best players to lace up for Carolina and that is truly sad. Not because of anything Cam did, but because this team has been historically so bad. I like Cam the player and loved how he played so passionately. I also don't think he's a HoF QB or even gets onto the ballot once. I don't think his game rose to that level except one magical season. You can disagree and that's fine. But just because we don't agree doesn't qualify my opinion as hateful or uneducated. It's just different than yours. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

That's how guys like him keep getting opportunities. They have all the talent. They make some plays that leave you clinging to hope that it'll eventually click. They're good guys and great in the locker room. At the end of the day he's never going to be a quality starting NFL QB but he's gonna put a LOT of money in the bank so good for him.

And that is why Darnold is exactly what you want in a backup. Enough talent to step in and win a few games in a pinch and not too cocky to implode a locker room. He will probably be a backup as long as he's physically able to play in the NFL. 

5 hours ago, SmokinwithWilly said:

The men aren't just guys on a football field anymore. They're constantly part of an interaction with the fan base through press conferences and actions and events outside of the football field. John Madden was one of the best commentators of all time because of how well he could relate to the audience. There's been a laundry list of terrible ones. You don't know Cam or Sam any more than I do. So for to pass judgement that I somehow can't be a football fan because I relate to one player more than I do another is stupid. 

Cam is one of the best players to lace up for Carolina and that is truly sad. Not because of anything Cam did, but because this team has been historically so bad. I like Cam the player and loved how he played so passionately. I also don't think he's a HoF QB or even gets onto the ballot once. I don't think his game rose to that level except one magical season. You can disagree and that's fine. But just because we don't agree doesn't qualify my opinion as hateful or uneducated. It's just different than yours. 

Yeah, I don't give two flying fugs about Cam dressing like a Harry Potter character or Sam Darnold supposedly being nice.

One of these players is the best QB in franchise history and the other was arguably the worst.

Hence why I say the logic test and the football statement. 

If people want to root for the guy with the better social media or the one that gives the best interviews on some dumb show on ESPN, that's cool. Just understand that you aren't actually a football fan.

Football fans care about football above almost everything else. The stuff that happens outside the lines, I couldn't really care less about.

This is essentially just the Taylor Swift fans watching KC. Zero of them cared about football. Same with anyone who got all butthurt about Cam's goofy dressing or his goofy celebrations. 

• Flames 2

On 6/12/2024 at 10:55 AM, Waldo said:

Dude is a debt collector. Fug them both. I asked why anyone cared about this guy at that time and all I got back was he was a local to some people so rah rah. Ok cool. 

I agree about the JR part but I have zero reasons to care about Nevaro anymore than Tepper. His kid plays tennis and dad was an old coach. Cool. It's the NFL, they don't sell to great people and there is only 1 team run in the way I would be happy to see which the NFL will never allow again. IMO there was never a good option in that sale. 

He's a debt collector? Yeah those people can get aggravating over the phone when they called me in the past when I was dumb and DIDN'T PAY MY BILLS but does that make him a scum bag? Here's free advice....If someone is getting calls from debt collectors I would have to say stop buying stupid poo they cant afford. There are tough times that are had by some at times and I feel for those but overall if you look at who debt collectors are calling, they are life morons who waste money, have crap work ethics yet will go buy expensive shoes rather than pay their damn light bill. Stupid will stupid no matter what but I still don't see how it makes him a scum bag? Could be a douche nozzle for all I know but a scum bag because he is a billionaire?

47 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

He's a debt collector? Yeah those people can get aggravating over the phone when they called me in the past when I was dumb and DIDN'T PAY MY BILLS but does that make him a scum bag? Here's free advice....If someone is getting calls from debt collectors I would have to say stop buying stupid poo they cant afford. There are tough times that are had by some at times and I feel for those but overall if you look at who debt collectors are calling, they are life morons who waste money, have crap work ethics yet will go buy expensive shoes rather than pay their damn light bill. Stupid will stupid no matter what but I still don't see how it makes him a scum bag? Could be a douche nozzle for all I know but a scum bag because he is a billionaire?

It just sounds like you understand how that industry works on the surface and very little else. To become a billionaire in that field absolutley makes him a scumbag. It's why the NFL didn't like him. The litigious nature of their industry from their common practices is know if you care to learn about it. The NFL new and it was enough for them to force it to Tepper even though he had a higher bid I believe. 

• Beer 1

5 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It just sounds like you understand how that industry works on the surface and very little else. To become a billionaire in that field absolutley makes him a scumbag. It's why the NFL didn't like him. The litigious nature of their industry from their common practices is know if you care to learn about it. The NFL new and it was enough for them to force it to Tepper even though he had a higher bid I believe. 

I dont know much about it, I only know my situation and bill collectors stopped hounding me when I started paying my bills that I owed on. I only know billionaires get a rough time from everyone no matter what. I have never heard anyone say that a billionaire was a nice guy but I know there must exist one billionaire who is not a scum bag at heart or at least I would like to think there is one out there in this entire world besides the made up character Bruce Wayne. Tepper I wouldn't even consider a scum bag but I would be the first to say he sure has at times sounded like a douche bag or a real prick. Now crap owner goes without saying but he is a smart dude so I hope he is learning something and will meddle less thus keeping himself out of football decisions that should really be made by a qualified professional.

29 minutes ago, Ricky Prickles said:

I dont know much about it, I only know my situation and bill collectors stopped hounding me when I started paying my bills that I owed on. I only know billionaires get a rough time from everyone no matter what. I have never heard anyone say that a billionaire was a nice guy but I know there must exist one billionaire who is not a scum bag at heart or at least I would like to think there is one out there in this entire world besides the made up character Bruce Wayne. Tepper I wouldn't even consider a scum bag but I would be the first to say he sure has at times sounded like a douche bag or a real prick. Now crap owner goes without saying but he is a smart dude so I hope he is learning something and will meddle less thus keeping himself out of football decisions that should really be made by a qualified professional.

Look into that industry. And you also don't have to pick up the phone. 7 years and most debt is uncolectable as long as you never talk to the collectors. The collectors have so many illegal practices that an entire sub category of lawyers specialize is sueing debt collectors. It's a lot.

To make billions in that industry makes it a lock. It's not an emotional statement. In the end the money doesn't care and neither does he. There are people that make a lot, millions upon millions, and then there are billionaires. If they didn't win the big loto chances are to make it to that level takes a certain kind of personality. The what they did to get there does matter. All of this is also documented if you want to take thr time to Google it. The credit industry is interesting and is very predatory.

On 6/12/2024 at 9:57 AM, ForJimmy said:

I wonder if these Darnold people want us to give Bryce the 6-7 years the league has for Sam? I mean the team that signed Darnold this offseason immediately traded up to trade a QB because they know he isn’t the answer. You have to keep swinging for a QB until you land one. 

Darnold had arguably the worst coaches in the NFL over the last 25 years. Bryce had two or three of the most renowned QB people in the league on his side last year. 

maybe he figures it out, but the physical tools are not there. In order to succeed we will need a roster like the Dolphins and that doesn’t leave much room for defense, and defense still wins Super Bowls.