• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

How the Carolina Panthers found themselves in the worst situation

10 minutes ago, Waldo said:

There were 2 real options that wanted to buy and neither were great options. They went with Haslam 2.0 vs the local scum bag. Hell the Diddlier tried to put a group together to buy it and that would have been fun considering his issues. 

The Panthers fans were always doomed. The best hope now is that Nicole sales when David kicks it. 

"Local scum bag" Assume you're referring to Navarro? Not sure how he's a scumbag (other than existing as a billionaire)... I won't claim to know how he would be as an owner but he was a wayyyy better option at the time than Tepper. Actually committed to the Carolinas (just tried and unfortunately failed to get a huge tennis tournament moved to Charlotte from Cincinnati), a legit sports guy whose dad was a longtime cfb coach, and his kids are all athletes. No brainer over Tepper for the success of the team, but the NFL obviously was going to pick the dude with insane amount of $ who sucks and will give all the other owner's teams automatic wins every year. And JR was letting the NFL run the sale for the league to save face -- he was always shield>panthers guy

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

10 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We got fuged because the NFL forced JR out before they forced Snyder out. Not to defend JR but Snyder absolutely deserved to be the first to go. Tepper had already been hand picked by the good old boys club to be the next admitted so as soon as the Panthers were the first franchise on the block we were doomed. We were jumping on that grenade like it or not.

IDK about that mattering at all in the Panthers sale. This team and it's location affected the interested buying parties. Maybe Tepper would have bought DC but then they could have had another Tepper ready to buy us for 3.85 billion less than the DC sale, whoever took his place in Pitt like he did for Haslam. Neither the Denver (2 billion more) or DC group moved on the Panther's sale. Plus JR was ready to sale before he was pushed out, that was his plan with the NFL which is mandatory to have a clear ownership plan in place, so it wasn't a shock that he was selling. 

There is only 1 team that can escape the good old boys club unfortunately. Maybe everyone knew it was gifted to Tepper from the get go or maybe the bigger groups just saw it as not nearly as desirable as Denver or DC. Maybe it's a bit of both.

16 minutes ago, t96 said:

"Local scum bag" Assume you're referring to Navarro? Not sure how he's a scumbag (other than existing as a billionaire)... I won't claim to know how he would be as an owner but he was a wayyyy better option at the time than Tepper. Actually committed to the Carolinas (just tried and unfortunately failed to get a huge tennis tournament moved to Charlotte from Cincinnati), a legit sports guy whose dad was a longtime cfb coach, and his kids are all athletes. No brainer over Tepper for the success of the team, but the NFL obviously was going to pick the dude with insane amount of $ who sucks and will give all the other owner's teams automatic wins every year. And JR was letting the NFL run the sale for the league to save face -- he was always shield>panthers guy

Dude is a debt collector. Fug them both. I asked why anyone cared about this guy at that time and all I got back was he was a local to some people so rah rah. Ok cool. 

I agree about the JR part but I have zero reasons to care about Nevaro anymore than Tepper. His kid plays tennis and dad was an old coach. Cool. It's the NFL, they don't sell to great people and there is only 1 team run in the way I would be happy to see which the NFL will never allow again. IMO there was never a good option in that sale. 

Edited by Waldo
  • Pie 2

51 minutes ago, Waldo said:

The biggest difference is they spent so much on Bryce that they have to roll with him 1 more year, it's non-optional from every angle. Tell me that if he was a 2nd or 3rd round pick they wouldn't have used this years 1st on a QB? 

Almost assuredly.

• Beer 1

54 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

We got fuged because the NFL forced JR out before they forced Snyder out. Not to defend JR but Snyder absolutely deserved to be the first to go. Tepper had already been hand picked by the good old boys club to be the next admitted so as soon as the Panthers were the first franchise on the block we were doomed. We were jumping on that grenade like it or not.

the NFL didn't even have to "force JR out." JR was probably the one who suggested the idea of him selling quickly and quietly to the league. dude only gave a poo about the league and not the team. don't get me wrong I'd gladly take him back over Tepper, but JR was pretty damn bad too. if JR had any interest in remaining owner he easily could've done so. But he knew it wouldn't be good for the league so he sold. Snyder had been fighting the rest of the owners for like a decade plus. JR would never put up any fight with the league even though he did significantly less bad things than Snyder.

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, travisura said:

Bryce was bad. Darnold is also bad. Neither have shown so far that they are franchise QB material. The difference is, Bryce only has one year under his belt, whereas Darnold has well proven what he is, and what he isn't. I don't think you should let Bryce's poor play make you pine for Darnold. 

They are different Bad.

As bad as Bryce was, he didn't have a ton of boneheaded "What the fug were you thinking?" throws last year. He was limited physically, but generally didn't throw a ton of abysmally dumb balls.

Darnold would throw multiple turnover worthy plays every single game, like he had no idea what he was doing out there.

Neither were great, but the former gives me SOME hope that he can get better with a better supporting cast.

• Pie 2

I don't know why there are people still talking about keeping Sam Darnold when all the Panthers had to do is not cut Baker Mayfield...just saying 

Edited by bandu
  • Pie 3

3 hours ago, philw5289 said:

Not sure if posted yet but this is a great offseason video detailing the fall, rise, and fall again of our team. Ahh the memories 

https://youtu.be/PNolq-QqYmI?si=ycsW6lFNytopea1p

Going back to when Rhule was hired every major decision that this franchise has made has been the absolute wrong choice.  I cant think of one where I was like "poo yeah, that makes sense".  Maybe drafting Brown but even then we should have been focusing on building up our oline instead.  I mean signing teddy, cutting cam, cutting teddy, darnold etc, the list is long and full of bone headed uber costly mistakes.  For like the 1000 time not trading burns has to be an all time moronic nfl decision.  I mean that was colossally stupid.   And of course Bryce/Stroud

• Pie 1

2 hours ago, t96 said:

Navarro made his money doing some wild and dirty poo

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, bandu said:

I don't know why there are people still talking about keeping Sam Darnold when all the Panthers had to do is not cut Baker Mayfield...just saying 

I still would like to see a world where we kept teddy, drafted Fields and sat him his entire rookie year to learn.

8 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Navarro made his money doing some wild and dirty poo

All billonaires do.

7 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I still would like to see a world where we kept teddy, drafted Fields and sat him his entire rookie year to learn.

Fields would still suck.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

1 minute ago, Ricky Spanish said:

Fields would still suck.

maybe, but he went to a bad situation and the constant rotation of OC's didnt help matters.  Going to be interesting watching him in pitt.  But if I recall most people thought coming into that draft that fields needed to sit and learn the nfl game.  Who knows how that would have affected him instead of being thrust into a poo offense week 6 or whenever it was they made him the starter.  His skill set is off the charts

2 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

maybe, but he went to a bad situation and the constant rotation of OC's didnt help matters.  Going to be interesting watching him in pitt.  But if I recall most people thought coming into that draft that fields needed to sit and learn the nfl game.  Who knows how that would have affected him instead of being thrust into a poo offense week 6 or whenever it was they made him the starter.  His skill set is off the charts

Look at stories from his rookie year. You are giving him too much credit and yes that situation stunk. He would have been fine for a swing at that time but in hindsight if he ever gets decent it will be more like Baker's situation at best then 'he could have shined here vs there'. I'm also not sure the Panther's situation is any better than the Bears, big picture, for him in those scenarios. 

He is like a less talented Murray IMO. Physically talented but not mentally what you hope for with all of that talent. It's just not a hill to die on IMO and if the Panthers drafted him I have a hard time not seeing it to leading the same general outcome. 

4 minutes ago, mrcompletely11 said:

He would have been in the exact same situation with us, with even worse coaching.

His Athleticism is off the charts, his QB skillset is not great. Dude can't read a field for crap.

As bad as Bryce was last year, he still threw for more yards than Fields ever has in a season, and has thrown for as many 300 yard games (1) in one year as fields has in 3... which took until year 3 to do btw.

As bad as you think Bryce is as a QB, Fields is even worse.

• Pie 6