• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fighting food insecurity in our backyard: The David and Nicole Tepper Foundation makes major gift to support Charlotte Nonprofit 'Nourish Up' 

3 hours ago, BrisbanePanther said:

Not sure what to think of the responses to this. It should be a subject that 100% agree is a good thing. Ironically (and maybe sadly), that would likely be the case if we had a winning team.

Everyone on the internet is dumb, including me.

• Pie 1

It's a huge problem but this isn't the way to do more than pat a billionaire on the back. Would they be doing this if there wasn't a tax break from it? I know my guess.

So 3 million to a great cause while getting a tax break with a photo op and they get 650 million from the city so their pockets can grow? How about they keep the 3 million and the area spends that 650 to raise people out of poverty? The uber rich only like giving when they get more than they give, the exceptions would be people like Bezos' and Gates' exes. Also the rules on non-profits are strick but about how much actually ends up in the hands that the organizations were set up for is not. March of dimes was $.10 for every dollar donated last time I looked. Please look up charities before giving. They are not all the same, no idea about this one.

• Pie 1

I’m a capitalist at heart, but I have a conscience. It’s not my place to tell people how to spend their money, but being disingenuous, especially when it comes to saying that you’re helping the poor,  really pisses me off. Virtue signaling at its lowest point. 

Build a community center that offers an escape from gangs and drugs, offers after hours counseling and school tutoring. They could even name it after themselves for the recognition they seem to crave. Pay teachers $100 an hour as a side hustle. Make it safe and secure. Have behavioral health services. Hell, have a culinary program to teach people how to actually cook a meal, and not let diabetes inevitably happen. Drug abuse, alcoholism, smoking cessation and gambling addiction treatment. Give people who have given up on life a reason to have pride in something. 

True philanthropy doesn’t need a photo op. 

Edited by Gapanthersfan
  • Pie 4

Best thing Tepper could do would be build a huge mental health facility that would treat the crazy people in this country.

That are not being served. Which impacts the rest of us. The homeless stuff has a base of those types.  I’ll stop there.

Edited by strato
  • Beer 1

8 hours ago, strato said:

Best thing Tepper could do would be build a huge mental health facility that would treat the crazy people in this country.

That are not being served. Which impacts the rest of us. The homeless stuff has a base of those types.  I’ll stop there.

i know you mean well, and i'm sure this will come across as a bleeding heart liberal whatever and I'm not trying to target you, but don't use the word crazy. words in mental health mean a lot, not just for patient interactions but how we frame conversations. you wouldn't say "Lunger" for someone with tuberculosis.

Same with "drug addict." an addict is someone we don't have to care about, or who did it to themselves, or has fuged up over and over again.

small pet peeve of mine that i lecture students about and i always try to implement in the way I practice medicine.

• Flames 1