• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Stadium Renovation Talk

35 minutes ago, Tbe said:

No, but new practice facility, HQ, hotel, and significant stadium renovations would cost 1.2B.

I don’t think they could do all that and a dome for 1.2B

It better be 40 stories hotel with insane amenities 

Much conversation has been made recently of 650 million dollar Charlotte public money needed to refurbish the privately owned Carolina Panther Football Stadium.  Cities and their citizen money funding  is responsible for government offices, police, fire, parks, recreation and civic needs only.  Taxpayers should never have to fund private enterprises such as Professional Football, Baseball, Soccer, Racing and Basketball.   Any owner who  threatens to leave the area if his refurbishing  needs are not met with public dollars should be given a one way bus ticket from the city to leave the area.  The owners enterprise will gladly be sold for his profit and another owner will gladly purchase the enterprise for their profit.                                         In this specific case of the Carolina Panthers, no Charlotte resident tax money should be entertained to fund the 650 million dollar project.  The multi-billionaire owner of the Panthers can well afford to fund this project by himself.  Otherwise Charlotte can provide him with a bus ticket. 

On 5/19/2024 at 8:27 PM, Khyber53 said:

I think, in the future, that if municipalities are pretty much required to levy a tax to support these kinds of renovations, or rebuilds, then the amount of money should be weighed against purchasing that percentage of ownership of the team.

Imagine having 1 million Charlotteans as 30% stakeholders in the Panthers. 

Yeah, that would scare team owners into financing their own massively profitable ventures.

While I like the idea of that, would never happen.  

The reality is the stadium is 30 years old.  It does need the renovation work done. I understand that the design doesn't appeal us old school folks,  although there is no denying the stadium needs to be modernized. 

21 hours ago, JT Cowboy said:

Much conversation has been made recently of 650 million dollar Charlotte public money needed to refurbish the privately owned Carolina Panther Football Stadium.  Cities and their citizen money funding  is responsible for government offices, police, fire, parks, recreation and civic needs only.  Taxpayers should never have to fund private enterprises such as Professional Football, Baseball, Soccer, Racing and Basketball.   Any owner who  threatens to leave the area if his refurbishing  needs are not met with public dollars should be given a one way bus ticket from the city to leave the area.  The owners enterprise will gladly be sold for his profit and another owner will gladly purchase the enterprise for their profit.                                         In this specific case of the Carolina Panthers, no Charlotte resident tax money should be entertained to fund the 650 million dollar project.  The multi-billionaire owner of the Panthers can well afford to fund this project by himself.  Otherwise Charlotte can provide him with a bus ticket. 

Stadium improvements always drive up membership here on the forum. 

Welcome. 

• Pie 1

So what are "the people" paying for when they give money to a rich dude for a sports ball situation?  The brand and prestige of a sports ball team.  It's the hallmark of a big city to be able to do that.  There is a pretty terrible ROI on public dollars into private enterprise, period.  But governments continue to do it for the image associated with it.

Since I live outside of CharMeck, it doesn't affect me much.  I love my Panthers.  They have been part of my life since they announced the team in the early 90s.  My parent's names are on one of those Panther statues.  Some of my best memories with my family and friends come from that stadium.  But on the flip side, could CMS use the $650 million?  What about public housing?  Streets?  Parks & Rec?  There are a lot of other places that $650 million could go.

But in our modern society, I bet that after much hemming and hawing, the money will come.  Areas of the budget will suffer.  Some taxes will increase, but that's how things work in our society.  Charlotte is not willing to lose the Panthers.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, pantherclaw said:

While I like the idea of that, would never happen.  

The reality is the stadium is 30 years old.  It does need the renovation work done. I understand that the design doesn't appeal us old school folks,  although there is no denying the stadium needs to be modernized. 

Oh sure, it does. But I don't think the city and state(s) should be brought in as partners on such a massive project without being given a bit of a permanent stake.

It would also anchor the team to the city, something I really want to see happen before Tepper the Tempestuous has another tantrum and decides to shake our dust off of his jacket and head for the next Las Vegas.

• Beer 1

16 minutes ago, Khyber53 said:

It would also anchor the team to the city

That was supposed to had been done when Richardson got the money for his improvements a few years ago. But maybe Tepper doesn't think he has to honor the deal Richardson made.

• Pie 1

5 hours ago, d-dave said:

So what are "the people" paying for when they give money to a rich dude for a sports ball situation?  The brand and prestige of a sports ball team.  It's the hallmark of a big city to be able to do that.  There is a pretty terrible ROI on public dollars into private enterprise, period.  But governments continue to do it for the image associated with it.

Since I live outside of CharMeck, it doesn't affect me much.  I love my Panthers.  They have been part of my life since they announced the team in the early 90s.  My parent's names are on one of those Panther statues.  Some of my best memories with my family and friends come from that stadium.  But on the flip side, could CMS use the $650 million?  What about public housing?  Streets?  Parks & Rec?  There are a lot of other places that $650 million could go.

But in our modern society, I bet that after much hemming and hawing, the money will come.  Areas of the budget will suffer.  Some taxes will increase, but that's how things work in our society.  Charlotte is not willing to lose the Panthers.

Trickle down economics is a sham. It was always about capturing as much wealth as possible while fooling those giving it to you. 

There is infrastructure that could benefit the city in these kinds of deals IMO but it's not what he is looking for. 

• Pie 2

7 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

That was supposed to had been done when Richardson got the money for his improvements a few years ago. But maybe Tepper doesn't think he has to honor the deal Richardson made.

It was a six year hard tether and it was for $87.5 million....I think. Link

• Pie 1