• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From the ground up: How the Panthers are retooling Bryce Young's footwork to slow down time

57 minutes ago, strato said:

I get the rookie QB formula and fully expected to see it implemented. Oh well. For the run game there was no or very little under center stuff until a good ways into the year. At least that is how I am remembering it. And no deep throwing - so stacked boxes which you can say chicken or egg on why.  Hard to run like that. 

The QB that people said was so great was pulled for a designated Hail Mary thrower. That’s pretty unusual. And may speak to why we saw few deep balls in some part, along with the OL. To ignore that stuff means you aren’t working with all of the information when you try to mentally model or project what it might be like on the field. 

Me, I have a slice of hope that he could maybe be NFL average but getting him to be a plus type of QB is a huge job. It depends on designing the playbook with certain values at the foundation that have to be adhered to first . You have to integrate the other pieces around this one guy’s skill set because he is a real outlier. And he has to learn the under center skill set.

Maybe put that Only Positive thread back up people can go there if they don’t want to deal with rightly frustrated fans. 

i don't blame anyone for being frustrated. plenty of reason to. i think that's the easiest path, tbh. what is tough is trying to look for reasons this could work and choosing to feel that maybe this could work out. that mindset definitely doesn't come naturally. 

anyone can pick out solid and legit reasons why this won't or probably won't work with bryce and the panthers as a whole. it takes some creativity to see it working. we shouldn't have to be creative trying to see it working out, but that's where we're at. it's kind of like bryce trying to see his receivers....you have to find holes to peep through.

• Beer 1

5 hours ago, rayzor said:

last year we had none of that in place. this year i think we've gotten together everything that he should have had last year. 

That OL has no depth and a huge question mark at LT.

If Ickey stays the same and one of those new guards goes down, it’s last year all over again.

We also have one proven WR. That guy is going to get doubled.

We need one more WR that can get open in time. Who is that?

I hope Brooks comes on strong. We need a better runner.

• Beer 1

On 6/5/2024 at 4:15 PM, *FreeFua* said:

They’re backing themselves into a corner if this goes south 

They’re talking about getting his feet right and the ball coming out quick. Well if that doesn’t work there’s nothing left to do. Given the fact Young was drafted 1st due to his ability to process on paper this sounds like the perfect combination

There will be no excuses left after this year for Bryce. 

Well if it doesn’t work, they tried to fix Bryce and have a good draft pick. After the mistake of taking him which came after the mistake of trading up to 1, it’s the only option they have left. They can’t trade him, he’s got no value. It’s be fixed or be cut basically at this point 

24 minutes ago, Tbe said:

If Ickey stays the same and one of those new guards goes down, it’s last year all over again.

Icky has Yosh behind him who has 22 starts under his belt and looked decent at LT and RT for GB.  There is also BC who can play LT if needed.  BC is also depth for the interior OL.  My biggest concern on the OL is C because we will have Corbett trying to play that position for the first time in his career.  

DJ is proven and AT will no longer be WR1 so life should be easier for him without constantly being force fed the ball.  So your starting 3 early on are probably DJ (proven), AT (proven), and Mingo on his 2nd year with XL getting worked into the offense. 

Brooks should be our future at RB whenever he is ready to go plus he and JT Sanders have decent hands.  That puts more receiving options on the field.

We need Mingo to take a step forward in his development OR XL to contribute sooner vs later (preferably both but that's wishful thinking) for our offense to look decent IMO.  

• Pie 1

32 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Some of those issues are going to be fixed at least slightly by the scheme. Run first, run a lot and have Bryce operating off quick read progressions and off play action passing. 

1 minute ago, carpanfan96 said:

Well if it doesn’t work, they tried to fix Bryce and have a good draft pick. After the mistake of taking him which came after the mistake of trading up to 1, it’s the only option they have left. They can’t trade him, he’s got no value. It’s be fixed or be cut basically at this point 

I think someone will offer a trade for him since he was viewed as a high draft pick.  I'm not sure it would be anything to get excited about.  Probably a later round pick with a possibly contingency on it. Some team will think they can use him "correctly" or develop him at a low cost.  I could see him in SF even as a backup at worst.  He is from Cali and that offense is kind of made for him.  

• Beer 1

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

Some of those issues are going to be fixed at least slightly by the scheme. Run first, run a lot and have Bryce operating off quick read progressions and off play action passing. 

And none of those things are bryces style...he has never played football that way because everything was adjusted to accommodate to his traits, i just see a big learning curve coming that we are gonna have to endure or just bite bullet and give up on in the future.

Edited by CPF4LIFE
  • Pie 1

15 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Icky has Yosh behind him who has 22 starts under his belt and looked decent at LT and RT for GB.  There is also BC who can play LT if needed.  BC is also depth for the interior OL.  My biggest concern on the OL is C because we will have Corbett trying to play that position for the first time in his career.  

DJ is proven and AT will no longer be WR1 so life should be easier for him without constantly being force fed the ball.  So your starting 3 early on are probably DJ (proven), AT (proven), and Mingo on his 2nd year with XL getting worked into the offense. 

Brooks should be our future at RB whenever he is ready to go plus he and JT Sanders have decent hands.  That puts more receiving options on the field.

We need Mingo to take a step forward in his development OR XL to contribute sooner vs later (preferably both but that's wishful thinking) for our offense to look decent IMO.  

I forgot Center was a question mark too.

We need a lot of key positions to take a big step forward in their skill levels.

• Pie 1

3 hours ago, Tbe said:

Scheme fits the LT better than last year and he's coming in not as lazy/entitled as his year 2. Lack of depth on an OL that is still vastly improved. OL will be better, especially for the run game.

We have two proven WRs that are good route runners. Jackson and Theilen. As a #1, Theilen isnt who you want, but as a #2, he's what you could hope for.

I think we've also got two young receiving stars in the making with Leggette and Sanders.

And Brooks will be a ton of fun to watch, but I think we'll see good things from Chuba and Miles thanks to the OL and scheme.

We've got a lot to look forward to.

Go ahead and brace yourself for some pain if you want or protect yourself from being disappointed, but if you put some effort into it you could actually enjoy being a panther fan for a little while.

I just don't think life is very fun waiting for everything to fall apart. Find a way to enjoy what you can.

• Pie 1

8 hours ago, Tbe said:

As far as the WR needed goes, that will be XL. The other situations we will have to hope to stay healthy in areas and hope Ickey develops strong this season.

5 hours ago, Ricky Prickles said:

As far as the WR needed goes, that will be XL. The other situations we will have to hope to stay healthy in areas and hope Ickey develops strong this season.

XL isn’t much of a route runner at this point.

Canales has already said his role will be running posts and out of the backfield type stuff.