• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From the ground up: How the Panthers are retooling Bryce Young's footwork to slow down time

1 minute ago, MHS831 said:

regardless of what happened up until now, Canales is playing the cards he was dealt/inherited. He and Morgan are doing exactly what the must do to maximize success.  I hope Bryce shows out this season. 

agreed. if things don't turn around on offense especially with Bryce, it won't be anyone else's fault but Bryce. 

He's got a good receiving corps, now (including Sanders in that). He's got a good OL. He'll have a good RB crew when we get Brooks rolling. We'll have all the parts necessary for a simple clock control efficient ball protecting offense. if that ball isn't getting moved, we won't be able to blame it on anything except the one getting the ball in his hands every play. 

i feel that he should be better, but there's always that chance that he's just a nice kid who wasn't cut out for the big time. 

• Pie 2

If Bryce could throw 20-22 TDs this season, keep the INTs around 10-11, and exceed the 3,000 yard mark  I'd consider that a massive improvement. If BY could have achieved that in 2023, Carolina probably would have won 6-7 games. With the new additions on the roster and coaching staff I'd be surprised if we don't triple our win total in 2024. 

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

22 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I have a feeling that he's not the only player who has to prove something this season. There will be more purging after the season. 

I just hope Morgan and Canales are the answers and that Tepper has some patience because even if they are the answers this season is likely to be ugly no matter what. Don't knee-jerk fire more people on the meantime. Just let this poo show play out.

• Pie 1

4 minutes ago, SCO96 said:

If Bryce could throw 20-22 TDs this season, keep the INTs around 10-11, and exceed the 3,000 yard mark  I'd consider that a massive improvement. If BY could have achieved that in 2023, Carolina probably would have won 6-7 games. With the new additions on the roster and coaching staff I'd be surprised if we don't triple our win total in 2024. 

I’d love 6 wins. Especially if our offense is looking better. 

32 minutes ago, Jon Snow said:

I have a feeling that he's not the only player who has to prove something this season. There will be more purging after the season. 

We might see some purging at the end of training camp. 

32 minutes ago, rayzor said:

agreed. if things don't turn around on offense especially with Bryce, it won't be anyone else's fault but Bryce. 

He's got a good receiving corps, now (including Sanders in that). He's got a good OL. He'll have a good RB crew when we get Brooks rolling. We'll have all the parts necessary for a simple clock control efficient ball protecting offense. if that ball isn't getting moved, we won't be able to blame it on anything except the one getting the ball in his hands every play. 

i feel that he should be better, but there's always that chance that he's just a nice kid who wasn't cut out for the big time. 

the flaws people point out here are good points that can be minimized or overcome, but to your point, last season was so bad it is really not fair to pretend to know whether he is a bust or not.  The system, coaches, OL, WRs, TEs, and RBs were below average--and so was the QB play--as it had to be.  People who think the QB makes the pieces better are getting it backwards--the proper pieces make the QB better. 

• Pie 1

6 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

We might see some purging at the end of training camp. 

You definitely will after training camp. I'm just hoping some of the regular hangers on get replaced.  Looking at you Ian.

• Pie 2

1 hour ago, Tbe said:

Its about at the point where we could have had an entirely different offense with the number of picks we’ve spent on QBs.

These wasted picks are more devastating than anything else.

That known quantity quality WR under a bargain multi year contract is a large part of the price too. That’s what really got me about it. Spend all that for an outlier QB and take away the best WR on the team. And they spent the next two years chasing WRs. That makes sense right?

• Beer 2

24 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

the flaws people point out here are good points that can be minimized or overcome, but to your point, last season was so bad it is really not fair to pretend to know whether he is a bust or not.  The system, coaches, OL, WRs, TEs, and RBs were below average--and so was the QB play--as it had to be.  People who think the QB makes the pieces better are getting it backwards--the proper pieces make the QB better. 

we got spoiled having superman and even then...he wasn't enough. superman was a fluke. there are incredibly unrealistic expectations for a first round QB, especially a first overall pick. people look at the short term, first year, rather than what you might get the next 10 and they also think that what you see the first year or two is what you get the rest of the time. 

it just doesn't work like that. these guys are all young and a work in progress. you draft on potential. what it takes to reach that potential is different for everyone and it all depends on the situation they fall into, the player pieces around them, the scheme they either put him in or develop around him (the latter is better), and the coaching they give him. then there's also the work the player has to put into it. the work they put into is is the only thing they can control. the rest is just luck. 

58 minutes ago, strato said:

That known quantity quality WR under a bargain multi year contract is a large part of the price too. That’s what really got me about it. Spend all that for an outlier QB and take away the best WR on the team. And they spent the next two years chasing WRs. That makes sense right?

#1 thing you need for any rookie QB (as far as personnel goes) is the OL. Second thing you need is a run game that takes the pressure off the rookie and allows him a chance to grow. run games are just easier to manage for someone still learning the ropes. third thing you need is reliable bail out option receivers who can 1) get open and/or 2) just catch the ball.

last year we had none of that in place. this year i think we've gotten together everything that he should have had last year. 

1 hour ago, rayzor said:

#1 thing you need for any rookie QB (as far as personnel goes) is the OL. Second thing you need is a run game that takes the pressure off the rookie and allows him a chance to grow. run games are just easier to manage for someone still learning the ropes. third thing you need is reliable bail out option receivers who can 1) get open and/or 2) just catch the ball.

last year we had none of that in place. this year i think we've gotten together everything that he should have had last year. 

I get the rookie QB formula and fully expected to see it implemented. Oh well. For the run game there was no or very little under center stuff until a good ways into the year. At least that is how I am remembering it. And no deep throwing - so stacked boxes which you can say chicken or egg on why.  Hard to run like that. 

The QB that people said was so great was pulled for a designated Hail Mary thrower. That’s pretty unusual. And may speak to why we saw few deep balls in some part, along with the OL. To ignore that stuff means you aren’t working with all of the information when you try to mentally model or project what it might be like on the field. 

Me, I have a slice of hope that he could maybe be NFL average but getting him to be a plus type of QB is a huge job. It depends on designing the playbook with certain values at the foundation that have to be adhered to first . You have to integrate the other pieces around this one guy’s skill set because he is a real outlier. And he has to learn the under center skill set.

Maybe put that Only Positive thread back up people can go there if they don’t want to deal with rightly frustrated fans. 

• Pie 1

Spend the whole off season working on his footwork just for him to start backpedaling like a DB soon as the game starts. Change isnt gonna happen overnight, he has been playing a certain way his whole career.