• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From the ground up: How the Panthers are retooling Bryce Young's footwork to slow down time

Posted (edited)

I hope not. It likely happens if Young is banged up. There isn’t a real incentive to dump Bryce if he is stinking it up... best be not trying to win if that’s what is going on.

I still think Dalton would give you the best chance.

Edited by strato

6 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

So we don't like fluff pieces and we don't like transparent pieces?  What is the answer?  Just no news or updates because people don't like that either...

Complain no matter what for max pie.  

• Pie 3

15 hours ago, Tbe said:

Sounds like they haven’t made the playbook yet. 

Waiting to see what everyone does best.

Interesting.

And as the coaching staff gets to know Young better, that rhythm will adjust how they build a playbook and eventually, call games.

"We're going to fit this offense to Bryce," Carroll promised. "Right now we're in the process of teaching all of our concepts still. As we get closer through training camp and then finally in the season, we'll finally get to our real offense and what we're going to be with Bryce, and he'll have input at times on certain things that he likes. And we'll try to make the best out of what we have here and try to be as hard to stop on offense as possible."

the way it should be. the way it has to be. 

when you get a rookie (no matter where he is drafted), you don't expect him to play like a vet or even get a grasp on NFL offenses like a vet. if you intend to have him running the offense, you build the offense around what they do and what clicks. 

not Young's fault, but he was sold as someone who would be a rookie but has the mind of a seasoned vet.

guess what...he wasn't.

reich and "his" crew had no idea how to work with a rookie QB or groom one. they thought they knew, but they didn't and it was obvious in the lack of plan they had for him. their plan was to treat him like he was a seasoned vet. even with that, i don't think they had any clear vision not just with Bryce, but with the offense. There was no cohesion between all the various coaches. nothing fit together and reich wasn't a strong enough leader to pull it all together. 

i like the approach of starting over with the fundamentals and i think it's good for any new coaching staff or new QB to a system. you don't know what to expect so you start from the beginning to make sure you're on the same page from the beginning.

and as you get more used to each other, you learn what works, what could really work well, and what won't work and you form the playbook around that.

contrast that with chud who had been working on a playbook for years and just wanted to use it regardless of whether the situation called for it or the personnel he had (on the team or even on the field) fit what he wanted to call.  

or last year when we had coaches from completely different backgrounds trying to put something together that was supposed to be a blend of what each brought to the table, but just ended up being a sloppy predictable mess that didn't fit anyone on the team, QB, WRs, and OL.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

29 minutes ago, rayzor said:

contrast that with chud who had been working on a playbook for years and just wanted to use it regardless of whether the situation called for it or the personnel he had (on the team or even on the field) fit what he wanted to call.  

Yeah, Chud. Agreed. I really liked his first year and hated him in the 2nd because of what you are saying there.. 

17 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It has to happen. 

Imagine trading up to #1 overall to draft a physically limited QB who has to have his mechanics rebuilt from the ground up.

Oh wee mayne.

well mechanics overhaul worked for Josh Allen

• Beer 2

4 minutes ago, strato said:

Yeah, Chud. Agreed. I really liked his first year and hated him in the 2nd because of what you are saying there.. 

he was a new shiny toy. one of these offensive wunderkinds we drool over. he was smart, maybe even brilliant...it just wasn't until the 2nd year that we saw he wasn't interested in making Cam or the offense better. he was interested in building some awesome playbook and landing a HC job. i remember comments made after one game that he called a play that didn't fit the personnel he had on the field, like the ones who had practiced it all week were on the sidelines and he hadn't even thought to look who was was on the field at the time. in fact he didn't even care who was on the field or the situation...he just called plays on a whim. 

32 minutes ago, DeSim said:

Well, he either plays well or we suck again and get the #1 pick and get our new QB for next year. 

Im not stressing. 

Its about at the point where we could have had an entirely different offense with the number of picks we’ve spent on QBs.

These wasted picks are more devastating than anything else.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 3

6 minutes ago, RumHam said:

well mechanics overhaul worked for Josh Allen

The raw physical talent was already there in spades. He still has accuracy issues. He's very similar to Cam in a lot of ways. They both have mechanical flaws that leads to inconsistencies but they both also have the ability to make plays that virtually no one else can with their arm strength and power RB running style.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

regardless of what happened up until now, Canales is playing the cards he was dealt/inherited. He and Morgan are doing exactly what the must do to maximize success.  I hope Bryce shows out this season. 

• Pie 7
  • Beer 2

2 minutes ago, MHS831 said:

regardless of what happened up until now, Canales is playing the cards he was dealt/inherited. He and Morgan are doing exactly what the must do to maximize success.  I hope Bryce shows out this season. 

I have a feeling that he's not the only player who has to prove something this season. There will be more purging after the season. 

• Pie 4