• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

From the ground up: How the Panthers are retooling Bryce Young's footwork to slow down time

This is exactly what they should be doing. I really think the best shot Young has to not revert to that bad stuff is have him more under center because it requires a different process altogether.

Which can maybe be developed easier because you are not having to erase a bunch of instinctive ingrained counter productive habits, or have them fight against the new way. Wild idea probably. I have always been a skeptic on whether he could be torn down and rebuilt because it is really hard to do for most.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

7 minutes ago, Tbe said:

Sounds like they haven’t made the playbook yet. 

Waiting to see what everyone does best.

Interesting.

And as the coaching staff gets to know Young better, that rhythm will adjust how they build a playbook and eventually, call games.

"We're going to fit this offense to Bryce," Carroll promised. "Right now we're in the process of teaching all of our concepts still. As we get closer through training camp and then finally in the season, we'll finally get to our real offense and what we're going to be with Bryce, and he'll have input at times on certain things that he likes. And we'll try to make the best out of what we have here and try to be as hard to stop on offense as possible."

This will surely be telling. Can't say this reads as them being particularly confident at QB. Their positives were "accuracy" which wasn't really all that accurate past 10 yards, and throwing on the run which I feel like he threw the ball out of bounds on the run more often than not

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

24 minutes ago, Mage said:

There is no reason to think the team would stick with Bryce if he continues to look terrible this year.  I'm not sure why so many people are concerned about that.  Not necessarily saying you are, it is just a sentiment I see a lot around here.  

The fact of the matter is the leash for QBs has NEVER been shorter in league history.  Trey Lance didn't even get a 3rd season with the 49ers.  Zach Wilson only got 2 seasons (they didn't plan for him to start his 3rd year) and he's on a new team.  And the Panthers have been cycling through QBs like hot cakes under Tepper.  There just isn't any reason to think the Panthers won't be willing to move onto Bryce.

IMO the only way Bryce looks bad and is still on the starter next year is if the Panthers aren't picking top 3 and can't get a first round QB that they like.  And even then, I would expect the team to make a play in free agency.  So I don't think they are backing themselves in a corner.  

I agree with you. I’ve seen people laugh at the thought the Panthers would move on from Bryce after year 2. Whereas unless this greatly improves I don’t see how they don’t.

Like you said, if they’re picking top 3 again they won’t even have a choice but to move on from Bryce 

• Pie 3

59 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

It has to happen. 

Imagine trading up to #1 overall to draft a physically limited QB who has to have his mechanics rebuilt from the ground up.

Oh wee mayne.

If we did this with Cam, he'd still be playing for us 🤷🏾

3 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Cleaning up his footwork wouldn't have prevented his shoulder injuries.

He really would have killed it with the proper mechanics. Another level. 

Posted (edited)

Bryce footwork is replicate of Drew Brees footwork out of shotgun.  Three little steps and throw.  Drew Brees was master of 5-15 yard passes.  Ball gone under 3 seconds most times.

Last year Bryce stayed like a statue after snapping the ball with both feet flat on turf while taking slow steps back.  This year he’s nimble on tippy toes until he throws.  He takes three steps back super quick, like Brees.

Edited by Lame Duck
  • Pie 2
  • Poo 1

1 minute ago, ForJimmy said:

So we don't like fluff pieces and we don't like transparent pieces?  What is the answer?  Just no news or updates because people don't like that either...

There have been fluff pieces every year the last 5 years and we've only gotten increasingly worse.

Folks who enjoy this stuff should be and are welcome to consume it and have the right to voice their approval. Others that have begun to tire of the same song and dance and want to see the results in games also have the right to express that.

Until we see any meaningful and impactful quantifiable results in  actual games this is how it is going to go for the next few months. We are at this point due to ownership. People are just going to have to grit their teeth and wade through it for the time being.

• Pie 1

3 minutes ago, frankw said:

There have been fluff pieces every year the last 5 years and we've only gotten increasingly worse.

Folks who enjoy this stuff should be and are welcome to consume it and have the right to voice their approval. Others that have begun to tire of the same song and dance and want to see the results in games also have the right to express that.

Until we see any meaningful and impactful quantifiable results in  actual games this is how it is going to go for the next few months. We are at this point due to ownership. People are just going to have to grit their teeth and wade through it for the time being.

Yeah and my point is there is an article talking about what they are doing to correct Young's footwork and people are wanting to know "why it was posted?" This one isn't as much of a fluff piece, looks like its more transparent and people still don't like it.

Also fluff pieces will always exist because its a bustiness.  There is a whole PR group dedicated to it.  Like you said, if you aren't a fan of them (which is understandable) then just ignore them.  

• Pie 4

5 hours ago, *FreeFua* said:

They’re backing themselves into a corner if this goes south 

They’re talking about getting his feet right and the ball coming out quick. Well if that doesn’t work there’s nothing left to do. Given the fact Young was drafted 1st due to his ability to process on paper this sounds like the perfect combination

There will be no excuses left after this year for Bryce. 

I think they back themselves in a corner if they don’t say and do this.  
Spend a gazillion dollars to protect your QB, get him weapons and do everything you can to help him. I’m pulling for my QB but if the staff and org does everything they can to help and your franchise QB can’t improve, the answer probably isn’t on the roster.  At least you know for sure and you have pieces around the next guy.  

• Pie 5
  • Beer 1