• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Least excitment before any season?

Posted (edited)

I think this has to be #1.

I kinda get why some are saying 2010, but I disagree.  A lot of people were optimistic about Matt Moore.  And while yes, we didn't do anything to get better that offseason due to the lockout looming, it wasn't a bad team.  Or so we thought anyway.  We had one of the best defenses in 2009 and were returning all of our best players (both on offense and defense) outside of Peppers.  

And if you combined both rosters, which player from the 2024 team would make the top 10?  Derrick Brown but that is probably it.  

I'd say 2024 and 2022 have been the 2 worst.  A new coaching staff is the only reason to be excited about this upcoming season.

Edited by Mage
  • Beer 1

Last year. I was real disappointed in just about everything from the coaching hire and real down on the draft, then we saw preseason. So, not excited is a nice way to say it.

More excited this year, or probably a little more long term hopeful than last year because so far I like the Morgan and Canales team. That’s real easy to do now, before we know how these draft picks and the team in general look. 

1 hour ago, Cullenator said:

This is nothing like going into 2010 when everyone knew John was a dead man walking.

Im actually cautiously optimistic

Yeah fix knew it too. He knew it all of 2009 and he coached like it. The last couple years he was here he just flat gave up. I remember wanting him gone in '07. We got lucky in '08 but the writing was on the wall in '07. We weren't getting better. Hell, just hiring Jeff Davidson was him saying "fug it who needs an offense?"

And heading into abd during Rivera's 2nd year a lot of us were wanting him gone as well. We saw a HC who was timid offensively and just wasn't ready for a HC gig. Poor game and clock management. I can't remember if we actually hired someone with some experience to come in and help with clock management or if we just talked about it, but there just wasn't a lot of confidence in him leading the team. Most felt he was holding it, especially Cam, back.

• Beer 2

I have never thought the Panthers were a 2 win team before seasons start.

during the fox years 7 wins was the worst until the last lame duck year. 

I always told myself "well they can ride _____(most times it was defense)" for a few wins. I see nothing to hang hopes on this team. 

They were what last in sacks and lost burns, just going to be a long season. 

11 minutes ago, Mage said:

I kinda get why some are saying 2010, but I disagree.  A lot of people were optimistic about Matt Moore. 

yeah, it's like the PJ Walker thing the last couple years BUT actually being largely serious.  There was some legit belief Matt Moore might be Jake Vol 2.   

7 minutes ago, rayzor said:

Yeah fix knew it too. He knew it all of 2009 and he coached like it. The last couple years he was here he just flat gave up. I remember wanting him gone in '07. We got lucky in '08 but the writing was on the wall in '07. We weren't getting better. Hell, just hiring Jeff Davidson was him saying "fug it who needs an offense?"

And heading into abd during Rivera's 2nd year a lot of us were wanting him gone as well. We saw a HC who was timid offensively and just wasn't ready for a HC gig. Poor game and clock management. I can't remember if we actually hired someone with some experience to come in and help with clock management or if we just talked about it, but there just wasn't a lot of confidence in him leading the team. Most felt he was holding it, especially Cam, back.

Fox lost  a lot of my respect in 2010 for not taking the high road and coaching hard. He just stuck it to JR any way he could. 

2 minutes ago, CRA said:

yeah, it's like the PJ Walker thing the last couple years BUT actually being largely serious.  There was some legit belief Matt Moore might be Jake Vol 2.   

If I'm being honest,  he had me fooled big time.  I thought he was going to be the one and didn't understand why we drafted Clausen (which was still a bad move, but only because he sucked).

With that said, the coaching staff and front office/owner failed that team big time.  It makes no sense that a team with the talent that we had finished 2-14.  Matt Moore might not have been a franchise QB but he was a lot better than he showed in 2010.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, Mage said:

If I'm being honest,  he had me fooled big time.  I thought he was going to be the one and didn't understand why we drafted Clausen (which was still a bad move, but only because he sucked).

With that said, the coaching staff and front office/owner failed that team big time.  It makes no sense that a team with the talent that we had finished 2-14.  Matt Moore might not have been a franchise QB but he was a lot better than he showed in 2010.

Matt moore had a great career, especially for a UDFA. I think they even claimed him off the blowboys and he won a SB as a backup for KC.

I thought Clausen was the steal of the draft where the Panthers got him. 

Edited by Basbear
  • Pie 1

I mean when Rhule was on the hot seat and finally got fired, we got pumped and Wilks truly brought some culture back to the team for a brief window. Reich came in and when he got canned there was no hope or excitement, we actually got worse and we are still kinda there until proven otherwise. Some are basically trying to sell this as BY's actual rookie year as well which doesn't exactly draw up much enthusiasm and tempers expectations whether that was their intention or not.