• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

What Carolina Panthers can learn from Justin Jefferson contract

On 6/3/2024 at 8:28 PM, jayboogieman said:

140 million with over 36 million in signing bonus for 4 years. 110 million guaranteed.

Resets the WR market.

States the Panthers whole WR core costs less than 25 million a year while Jefferson will be getting 35 million a year.

Wonders where teams will start looking to go cheap with having to pay QBs and WRs so much now. They didn't mention how much edge rushers are getting and how that adds to the trouble of building a roster.

The Panthers going cheap at WR and fielding one of the most anemic offenses in NFL history isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the concept.

• Flames 1

23 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

The Panthers going cheap at WR and fielding one of the most anemic offenses in NFL history isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for the concept.

I don't think he was endorsing the idea of going cheap at WR so much as he was pointing out how Jefferson is making so much more than every WR on the Panthers' roster combined.

As for what the Panthers currently have, I'm not expecting much except for the guy they traded for to show out or at least attempt to. He's in a contract year and wants to get paid after all.

2 hours ago, Waldo said:

Kupp didn't win them a SB, the Stafford trade did. No WR is carring a SB. Kupp just showd his QB wasn't it so they went and got it. Hill is proving Tua ain't it either but it looks like Miami will pay him anyways. I said it's all about the QB and then the rest. The WRs just help those QBs and should help the team evaluate their QBs. Purdy just failed big time and that is a stacked roster. If the Viks new QB can't be it with Jefferson then he doesn't stand a chance without him. It's not about the WR carrying the team to a SB but the WR setting the young QB up for success and making it easy to eevaluateif they are it because that is the most important part of building a modern SB champ.

They overspent but it was a luxury they could afford. If you think bringing in a rookie QB and letting your best WR go in the process then you didn't learn anything from the Moore debacle. If Young had a legit WR last year then half the BS about not knowing would be gone this year. I would rather pay to know then just hope. In a perfect world the organization could draft well enough to set up a Cheifs Mahhomes rookie cast or the 49ers but those are really the exceptions and not the rule, the dream I guess.

I don't disagree with any of that.  I just don't think the Super Bowl teams are going to be changing their strategy to spending the big bucks on the WR position.  They will continue to draft guys and fill with mid level free agent talent.

I don't really have any issue with the Vikings paying Jefferson that much.  Its not a bad formula for a rookie QB.  It's just not a proven formula for winning a championship.  DJ Moore isn't in the same category.  I'm talking about handing out record breaking deals.

• Beer 1

37 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

I don't think he was endorsing the idea of going cheap at WR so much as he was pointing out how Jefferson is making so much more than every WR on the Panthers' roster combined.

As for what the Panthers currently have, I'm not expecting much except for the guy they traded for to show out or at least attempt to. He's in a contract year and wants to get paid after all.

I mean, it's not surprising. We basically have two mid-level FA vets and then a bunch of scraps or guys on rookie contracts vs. arguably the best WR in the league. Our entire QB room makes substantially less than the elite QBs too.

Unfortunately, sometimes you get what you paid for and so far that's holding true for the Panthers' offense.

• Pie 2

6 hours ago, Jaxel said:

bascially draft a WR every year.

Along with OL and especially DL. 

Steelers have the WR draft figured out the best, I bet if you look at there history every year they toss a draft chip on WR. 

WR is one of the only spots that you can play 5 at a time.