• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Albert Breer talks about Dave Canales

1 hour ago, Basbear said:

The best I member was he did interview for the OC job, again why since he's been there 17=/- years?? Rams had already been picked over for years as well. 

It reminded me of one of my old friends that worked for IBM. Hed been there for 7 years and the perfect employee during. Then comes a big promotion available and all signs point to him. NOPE, it goes to some new guy that's was only there for 18 months and he was below my friend. I never thought of it, but we meet at a bar and he's like " Time for me to leave". Within the week he got some job offer in Atlanta @ 30% more than current pay and he took it. I finally understood " know your worth with this ".  Just you never know what a company thruthfully thinks. He thinks they view him as a "lifer" and "Loyal" no matter, so it didn't matter......but it DID. Miss that dude and house sitting in one of those elite areas. 

It's like with Friterer was the same as Canales. 'He's a great guy' and everyone loves him but Seattle had a HC opening with ties and no interview, even with a playoff appearance in a weak NFCS to boost his name. The NFL is all about ties and connections. It's so much more a small pond than most sectors could be so the corporate NFL bs is sooooo much thicker. All of those openings and no HC interviews? B Johnson is an anomaly, like a Kiffin, where usually you have guys that will go whereever to take a promotion even if it looks terrible for a distance, Wilks to Arizona comes to mind. It's weird and interesting how the NFL mirrors and then deviates from the rest of corporate America in their MOs. 

• Beer 1

I go back to the hole the Panthers put themselves in and his positive track record with getting production from ‘problem’ QBs. Which, we have one. 

I go to the idea people were putting forth on these younger HC prospects - that maybe you take a guy early and let him grow and give him all the help you can. Like a QB go figure. I think that is pretty much where it is right now.

I think Canales could be good. 

18 minutes ago, Waldo said:

It's like with Friterer was the same as Canales. 'He's a great guy' and everyone loves him but Seattle had a HC opening with ties and no interview, even with a playoff appearance in a weak NFCS to boost his name. The NFL is all about ties and connections. It's so much more a small pond than most sectors could be so the corporate NFL bs is sooooo much thicker. All of those openings and no HC interviews? B Johnson is an anomaly, like a Kiffin, where usually you have guys that will go whereever to take a promotion even if it looks terrible for a distance, Wilks to Arizona comes to mind. It's weird and interesting how the NFL mirrors and then deviates from the rest of corporate America in their MOs. 

Very Odd, seems someone is lying about the "love" between Seattle and canales. 

I did read some about B.johnson and he said he wanted a stable good job and that 5 out 8 teams that filled this past season, will be open again in three years. I somewhat get his point, but he's lost millions the past two years waiting. Plus great job are never open cause great team don't fire their HCs. He put lots of time and sweat into the lions and wanted to enjoy the good times longer. 

I do think tepper made other coaches not want to be here. That all-star staff had as you stated had connections around the league and coaches are no different when someone contracts them and goes " How was it Carolina ??'.... " Love the area, hated the work environment/owner".

They did get Brian Callahan to interview and had a 2nd one lined up, but in just one interview titans hired him. I'd much rather had him or just name evero HC instead. 

Nobody wanted Ron Rivera either and he interviewed everywhere. No one wants this job..... even the jags got recent SB winning Doug Peterson....

I truly think Carolina coaching rep is in the dump and they fuged up waiting for Callahan. Panic move. This is my pure guess too, Jim Caldwell is the acting/real HC and canales is the OC.

• Pie 2

16 minutes ago, Basbear said:

Very Odd, seems someone is lying about the "love" between Seattle and canales. 

I did read some about B.johnson and he said he wanted a stable good job and that 5 out 8 teams that filled this past season, will be open again in three years. I somewhat get his point, but he's lost millions the past two years waiting. Plus great job are never open cause great team don't fire their HCs. He put lots of time and sweat into the lions and wanted to enjoy the good times longer. 

I do think tepper made other coaches not want to be here. That all-star staff had as you stated had connections around the league and coaches are no different when someone contracts them and goes " How was it Carolina ??'.... " Love the area, hated the work environment/owner".

They did get Brian Callahan to interview and had a 2nd one lined up, but in just one interview titans hired him. I'd much rather had him or just name evero HC instead. 

Nobody wanted Ron Rivera either and he interviewed everywhere. No one wants this job..... even the jags got recent SB winning Doug Peterson....

I truly think Carolina coaching rep is in the dump and they fuged up waiting for Callahan. Panic move. This is my pure guess too, Jim Caldwell is the acting/real HC and canales is the OC.

Johnson is very smart IMO. He will get paid either way but avoiding a terrible spot can save your career too. He looks to be working the system and good for him. I always thought hiring interviews go both ways and have been disappointed watching people not realize this. He handled DC roughly but it was also funny because he did see them as what they are which is a new ownership group, even with Petters, he would be likely be destined for failure there while they figure out the normal learning curve of the NFL. 

It's not lying it's just 'your great but I can't say what your not because that is taboo'. Sometimes lies are expected if the truth isn't what they want. 

I agree generally. Ron was doing great work as a DC where he put in 6 years as DC at 2 teams vs Canales 1 year as OC before becoming a HC. Ron is such a known quantity by now, he earned his 2nd shot as a HC and it went as expected given his proclivities. Offense is just safer in this NFL vs Defense so any one that can score will get a look. Ryans is a beast but how do you think he fairs without Slowick? Which HCs were in the SB? Offensive guys. It's a thing and makes laughing about TB, Atlanta and NO all having beatable defensive coaches the Panthers still can't beat LOL.

It's a dump. If your building a career the Panthers are a long shot. If you are taking a shot, getting paid and/or ready to grow from this failure then this is a great option.

I think the jobs are extremely valuable on many levels but there is always a turd in the punchbowl with Tepper. Hurney, Rhule, Friterer, now Caldwell and maybe Morgan. Tepper always leaves some dookie around to contaminate the next batch...they literally help him fug up the next time. It's Tepper's MO, spend lots of money and lean on past failures into new failures. There has not been a truly fresh start under Tepper yet which explains why he keeps failing. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

10 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I hope he works out. But I'm just so jaded by shitty Tepper hires at this point that I'm not going down the road of trying to convince myself it's going to work. I'm just gonna wait and see what takes the field and how his staff makes adjustments. We'll see.

I mean, if Canales is decent he’ll have basically matched Richardson’s pace for first decent coach. And then it was quickly downhill from there. Hiring a good coach is hard. In Richardson’s 20something years he hired one decent coach and the rest were trash. Won’t even begin on GMs and somehow hiring the same mistake twice…

My point is, if you could have patience with Richardson it shouldn’t be too tough with Tepper. At least he’s willing to admit his mistakes and move on. 

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1

On 6/3/2024 at 2:51 PM, raleigh-panther said:

Welcome back

Wouldn't say I'm back. Honestly, the board is kind of difficult to read right now. 

Cataracts have gotten pretty bad but they can't do surgery on them until they get some swelling down in my eyes. Hoping to have it in the next few months sometime. 

In the meantime, just attribute any errors I make to my voice to text 😄

• Pie 1
  • Beer 2

On 6/3/2024 at 10:53 PM, JawnyBlaze said:

I mean, if Canales is decent he’ll have basically matched Richardson’s pace for first decent coach. And then it was quickly downhill from there. Hiring a good coach is hard. In Richardson’s 20something years he hired one decent coach and the rest were trash. Won’t even begin on GMs and somehow hiring the same mistake twice…

My point is, if you could have patience with Richardson it shouldn’t be too tough with Tepper. At least he’s willing to admit his mistakes and move on. 

I mean, Richardson's first HC was decent.  

Ron and Fox were basically the same thing.  Not sure how 1 can be good and one trash. 

Ron Rivera: 76-63-1 (3-4 Playoffs)

John Fox: 73-71 (5-3 Playoffs)

Dom Capers: 30-34 (1-1 Playoffs)

George Seifert: 16-32

Matt Rhule: 11-27

Steve Wilks: 6-6

Chris Tabor: 1-5

Frank Reich: 1-10

Perry Fewell: 0-4

Dave Canales: ?

We will see in a few years where Canales lands on this list. Facts are he could be a horrible coach and still manage into our Top 5.

3 minutes ago, ProcessBlue2 said:

Ron Rivera: 76-63-1 (3-4 Playoffs)

John Fox: 73-71 (5-3 Playoffs)

Dom Capers: 30-34 (1-1 Playoffs)

George Seifert: 16-32

Matt Rhule: 11-27

Steve Wilks: 6-6

Chris Tabor: 1-5

Frank Reich: 1-10

Perry Fewell: 0-4

Dave Canales: ?

We will see in a few years where Canales lands on this list. Facts are he could be a horrible coach and still manage into our Top 5.

I wonder why its so hard hiring a competent nfl coach?  Thats a lot of ugly on that list.   poo I was totally against it at the time and I have no problem admitting I was wrong, but damn should have just kept wilks and see what that looked like

1 hour ago, mrcompletely11 said:

I wonder why its so hard hiring a competent nfl coach?  Thats a lot of ugly on that list.   poo I was totally against it at the time and I have no problem admitting I was wrong, but damn should have just kept wilks and see what that looked like

I don't think competent coaches are THAT hard to find.  I think if your team is really bad, it's primarily a roster talent issue.   And in the NFL, you can't scheme and coach yourself out of the fact you don't have the talent.   Lot of "failed" HC would have been successful with great rosters.  

On 6/5/2024 at 9:49 AM, CRA said:

I mean, Richardson's first HC was decent.  

Ron and Fox were basically the same thing.  Not sure how 1 can be good and one trash. 

If Fox had Cam we’d have won multiple Super Bowls. Not only was Fox more suited for his time, but he was also simply better than Ron. They weren’t the same thing. By the end of his tenure he was similarly outdated as Ron, but still better.

And Richardson’s first HC was ok. Better than Rhule, sure. 

Hiring competent HCs might not be that hard but finding good ones is. How many Super Bowls in the past 30 years have been won by merely competent coaches?  Billick, the guy in Denver that beat us, that’s all I can think of. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, JawnyBlaze said:

If Fox had Cam we’d have won multiple Super Bowls. Not only was Fox more suited for his time, but he was also simply better than Ron. They weren’t the same thing. By the end of his tenure he was similarly outdated as Ron, but still better.

And Richardson’s first HC was ok. Better than Rhule, sure. 

Hiring competent HCs might not be that hard but finding good ones is. How many Super Bowls in the past 30 years have been won by merely competent coaches?  Billick, the guy in Denver that beat us, that’s all I can think of. 

Would Fox have been as flexible with the offense though? Would he have been rigid and insistent on Cam running say, Dan Hennings’ scheme? 

Ron did allow alternative football to be played. 

Not arguing or correcting just asking.

Edited by strato

On 6/3/2024 at 11:54 AM, Tbe said:

This team is mostly made up of other team’s rejects.

Derek Brown is our only blue chip player.

You can’t win with a roster like that.

Years of bad drafting and bad trades have caught up.

We are probably at least 6-8 years away from being able to have a solid core again, probably more. It's going to take 5-6 better than average drafts and more good offseasons than not.

Right now our core is almost non-existent. It's basically Derrick Brown and Moton. The latter of which will likely never see the new core unless he opts to play into his late 30's.

I don't think our fans realize how long it is likely to be before we are able to rebuild a quality roster and do it for long term success. 

• Beer 1

7 hours ago, strato said:

Would Fox have been as flexible with the offense though? Would he have been rigid and insistent on Cam running say, Dan Hennings’ scheme? 

Ron did allow alternative football to be played. 

Not arguing or correcting just asking.

Fox most likely would have been more stubborn about that issue, but Fox also wouldn’t have benched Cam over not wearing a tie, wouldn’t have stubbornly insisted on playing older guys over better guys, wouldn’t have stubbornly kept Mike f’ing Shula, wouldn’t have neglected to give Cam more protection and weapons. And Cam still would have been great in a different system. All in my opinion of course. Before Rhule came and blew him out of water for the position, Rivera was paradoxically our worst coach by a large margin. He just happened to be able to ride Cam’s coattails to accolades and a better winning record. I’m 100% convinced that Fox, Capers, Seifert or even Reich would have had significantly more success with Cam.