• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

REPORT: ESPN's FPI gives Panthers a 0-percent chance to win Super Bowl LIX

9 hours ago, kungfoodude said:

Yes but this was in the face of a supposed rejuvenation of Denver under Payton. That has not been the case at all. If anything, they are a marginally better shitshow than they were under the previous guy. I wouldn't put a lot into their improvement simply because the best part of that franchise came to us.

New England will almost certainly be terrible. That franchise isn't more more talent stocked(or rather bereft) than ours. It's been mismanaged for about as many years. If they have a good rookie QB, that COULD turn fortunes quickly but it could just as easilu torpedo his career as he is put in a bad scenario and doesn't develop at all.

I am not saying we will or won't be "better" but I don't think the amount of "better" that any of these teams are going to be is anything other than the difference between sinking and floating turds.

Denver improved by three or four wins year over year did they not? In the NFL, a four win improvement is quite large from year to year. Now you have Payton with a QB he picked that is, to me, very much like Drew Brees. 

New Englands offense has almost always been mismanaged. But between Brady, Gronk, a few good to great offensive linemen, a Hall of Fame coach and great defense, they made it work. 

That is likely to be the same formula they use now. Again, I’m not going to discount either and considering the odds, I’d be far more likely to put money on them than on us. We have an easier road in our division, but I doubt that matters much. 

17 minutes ago, CPcavedweller said:

Denver improved by three or four wins year over year did they not? In the NFL, a four win improvement is quite large from year to year. Now you have Payton with a QB he picked that is, to me, very much like Drew Brees. 

New Englands offense has almost always been mismanaged. But between Brady, Gronk, a few good to great offensive linemen, a Hall of Fame coach and great defense, they made it work. 

That is likely to be the same formula they use now. Again, I’m not going to discount either and considering the odds, I’d be far more likely to put money on them than on us. We have an easier road in our division, but I doubt that matters much. 

More money on what?? 

11 hours ago, ForJimmy said:

Bo Nix isn’t Drew Brees. Go watch his Auburn seasons against better defenses. He got benched for TJ Finley at one point. 

No one should be comparing any rookie QB that has yet to take a snap to hall of famers. Sound familiar? Though I must admit if it was okay to do so for BY to draw a line in the sand against Nix seems hypocritical. I have no idea how good Bo will be in the NFL but in fairness to him he didn’t get to launch his college career at Alabama and play for the modern GOAT. He had to take his lumps to get where he is. One could argue that path better serves him in adjusting to the NFL rather than having been given everything right away.

• Pie 2
  • Flames 1

37 minutes ago, frankw said:

No one should be comparing any rookie QB that has yet to take a snap to hall of famers. Sound familiar? Though I must admit if it was okay to do so for BY to draw a line in the sand against Nix seems hypocritical. I have no idea how good Bo will be in the NFL but in fairness to him he didn’t get to launch his college career at Alabama and play for the modern GOAT. He had to take his lumps to get where he is. One could argue that path better serves him in adjusting to the NFL rather than having been given everything right away.

Nix was a legacy at Auburn that got to start as a freshman. He played for 3 years and was benched his 3rd. He transferred out west where there is no defense and looked great his 5th year when he was older than most (reminds me of Pickett).

Sean Payton is trying to spin it like he tricked teams into passing on him when in reality he was QB6 in this class. I just don’t see him being great at this level, but I’m wrong a lot about QBs. He needed that high powered Oregon offense against PAC 12 defenses to really shine plus his age. He played at Auburn with Derrick Brown. 

The Brees comp is only there because Sean Payton drafted him. People thought he would make Russ look great too. The truth is Brees made Payton look great and without him he was just an average coach. I’d be lying if I didn’t say my hate for Sean Payton is probably skewing my judgement as well. 

56 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

Nix was a legacy at Auburn that got to start as a freshman. He played for 3 years and was benched his 3rd. He transferred out west where there is no defense and looked great his 5th year when he was older than most (reminds me of Pickett).

Sean Payton is trying to spin it like he tricked teams into passing on him when in reality he was QB6 in this class. I just don’t see him being great at this level, but I’m wrong a lot about QBs. He needed that high powered Oregon offense against PAC 12 defenses to really shine plus his age. He played at Auburn with Derrick Brown. 

The Brees comp is only there because Sean Payton drafted him. People thought he would make Russ look great too. The truth is Brees made Payton look great and without him he was just an average coach. I’d be lying if I didn’t say my hate for Sean Payton is probably skewing my judgement as well. 

I can agree. Though where he is in regards to the pecking order of the draft class is mostly irrelevant. Look no further than the rhetoric around last years QB class.

As far as Payton. I'm with you I can't stand the guy. And I do think the dynamic between he and Brees is similar to that of Brady and Belichick. But I'm not going to hold the failure of Russell Wilson against him. Look I have to be honest I think Wilson was really overrated even in his best years. He had good physical ability despite his size but he threw up a lot of prayer balls that receivers plucked out of the air for him. He also had a really great defense and overall coaching staff in the upper echelon of the league consistently. And don't even get me started on the Super Bowl he won. I still contend that Broncos team was probably the worst team in a Super Bowl in the last 50 years minimum. That final play against the Patriots in his next and final Super Bowl is the real Russell Wilson.

Personally I hope Sean Payton continues to fall flat on his face because fug the Denver Broncos and him 6 days a week and twice on Sunday. But I wouldn't be surprised if he has them contending again.

• Pie 1

1 hour ago, ForJimmy said:

The truth is Brees made Payton look great and without him he was just an average coach. I’d be lying if I didn’t say my hate for Sean Payton is probably skewing my judgement as well. 

I think average is underselling him by a significant amount.  He’s a good coach who was elevated to great coach with a great QB.  No coach can win without a good QB.

The Saints post Brees were a lot better with Payton than they are now.  Russell Wilson looked better with Payton than he did the season before.  He’s just washed.

Bo Nix definitely has an edge because he will have a good coach.  It’s hard to say if he just lit up the PAC 12 but people said similar things about Burrow leaving Ohio state and having a one year wonder season.  I will say that even though his stats were spectacular last year.  They were also good the year prior.  Oregon threw the ball a ton last year.  He had more completions than he had attempts in most other seasons.

• Pie 1

12 minutes ago, PNW_PantherMan said:

I think average is underselling him by a significant amount.  He’s a good coach who was elevated to great coach with a great QB.  No coach can win without a good QB.

The Saints post Brees were a lot better with Payton than they are now.  Russell Wilson looked better with Payton than he did the season before.  He’s just washed.

Bo Nix definitely has an edge because he will have a good coach.  It’s hard to say if he just lit up the PAC 12 but people said similar things about Burrow leaving Ohio state and having a one year wonder season.  I will say that even though his stats were spectacular last year.  They were also good the year prior.  Oregon threw the ball a ton last year.  He had more completions than he had attempts in most other seasons.

He didn’t want to rebuild without Brees. It looks like he is 25-21 without Brees under center. So maybe above average, but not as good as he thinks he is. I’m sure he is better than I’m giving him credit for, but he needs to prove it. He needs to preferable prove it without trying to hurt players on the other team too. I’m just not a fan at all. 
Nix vs Burrow in college is good. Nix had 4 years of starting experience before his 5th year where he really put up great numbers against bad defenses. Burrow only played one year before his last season where he went undefeated, won the championship, and possibly put up the best college season for a QB and did it against tougher defenses. Burrow’s team definitely had more talent but SEC defenses should edge out PAC 12 by a solid margin.