• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Will the Panthers be better than most are expecting?

1 minute ago, mrcompletely11 said:

Like I said.   A couple of injuries and this is a really bad defense 

you are almost guaranteed some injuries on both sides.  It's just the lotto of which ones go down and how bad. 

The only realistic hope for this season is for them to be the best of the bad teams and win the war of attrition. They do not have enough talent to compete with the top 15 teams. Finishing somewhere in the low 20's in rankings would take a miracle. It's going to take another offseason to build a more complete team.  And that's if the qb and coaches work out. Expecting a Huston type turned around is a waste of time.

• Pie 1

49 minutes ago, CRA said:

I think the D could be worse.  Not drastically.  But takes a step back. 

I also could Bryce turning the ball over more in Canales scheme/O.  Given the asks under what we assume will be Canales offense will look like......don't play to what Bryce naturally does well.  The counter to that, is maybe Canales goes heavy Wilks approach and we play 1970s football and beat some weak teams and surprise folks on the actual record. 

I’m good with more turnovers if it comes with more TDs and pushing the ball downfield. All part of the learning process. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, CRA said:

I think the D could be worse.  Not drastically.  But takes a step back. 

I also could Bryce turning the ball over more in Canales scheme/O.  Given the asks under what we assume will be Canales offense will look like......don't play to what Bryce naturally does well.  The counter to that, is maybe Canales goes heavy Wilks approach and we play 1970s football and beat some weak teams and surprise folks on the actual record. 

I agree with this, except possibly the scheme/approach will be a fusion of Canales’ principles merged with Young’s abilities... and hopefully never asking him to be an actual NFL QB dog just play within his abilities. 

If he is able to play to a higher standard, all power to him. 

27 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

I’m good with more turnovers if it comes with more TDs and pushing the ball downfield. All part of the learning process. 

which I can handle.  I can handle more picks and even more sack/fumbles in year 2.....pending Bryce makes a big step in making big plays downfield.   Still feels square peg/round hole-ish though.  

• Pie 2

3 minutes ago, strato said:

I agree with this, except possibly the scheme/approach will be a fusion of Canales’ principles merged with Young’s abilities... and hopefully never asking him to be an actual NFL QB dog just play within his abilities. 

If he is able to play to a higher standard, all power to him. 

Canales has always been around vertical and chunk plays downfield.... paired with a stubborn run.  

I just don't see how Young pairs up.  I won't until it actually happens.   

• Beer 2

55 minutes ago, ForJimmy said:

the peyton manning learning experience.  I think we all would have been fine watching him throw it down the field trying for something.  The fact that we really didnt see that at all from about week 10 or so forward is telling.  We had literally nothing to lose.

• Pie 3
  • Beer 1

5-6 wins wouldn’t tell us much. Bryce would still be in question and at that point we aren’t in position to get a top QB. That’s pretty much worse case scenario. 

Compete for the division or just suck again. Obviously I’d rather compete and have Bryce and the new coach show out. 

21 hours ago, Jon Snow said:

Ask me after preseason. 

Somehow with this team, how they show up in the preseason is a huge indicator of how they’ll perform during the regular season. 

• Beer 1

5-6 wins is near total suck. It’s actually really hard to lose like, 15 or 16. Really hard. Losing 12 gets you to 5 wins absent a tie.

5-12 being seen as good? Not acceptable. 5-12 to me is time to upgrade the weak links. Whoever they turn out to be. That is about as fair as it gets. Regarding Young, if it doesn’t turn around... hello pine rider/clipboard holder for the duration of his contract. 

• Pie 2

21 minutes ago, Kentucky Panther said:

5-6 wins wouldn’t tell us much. Bryce would still be in question and at that point we aren’t in position to get a top QB. That’s pretty much worse case scenario. 

Compete for the division or just suck again. Obviously I’d rather compete and have Bryce and the new coach show out. 

wins and losses mean nothing IMO in terms of Bryce this year.  What matters is how he specifically plays.  He can make big strides and we lose.  He can play bad and we win. 

• Beer 1

The division will suck. Falcons are overrated and Kirk will not play well this year. The other two are badly coached and one will completely crumble this year. I know people distaste Bryce but the Panthers are just as likely to win 9 games than to win 2 in my opinion because of the schedule. 

Respectfully, if they win 9 it will not be the schedule. They will actually have become a somewhat competitive team. If they win two, same in the other direction. They remain an owner approved train wreck. 

21 minutes ago, amcoolio said:

The division will suck. Falcons are overrated and Kirk will not play well this year. The other two are badly coached and one will completely crumble this year. I know people distaste Bryce but the Panthers are just as likely to win 9 games than to win 2 in my opinion because of the schedule. 

I mean, the huddle keeps beating this division will suck mantra....but we happen to be the clear cut worst team in the division.   

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1
  • Flames 1