• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Underdog 2nd year QB preview

30 is way too high.

He will improve some but still not be a better option than drafting a QB in the top 5 again without wasting additional picks. Then he can be a backup or ask for a trade, win-win.

9 hours ago, LinvilleGorge said:

If you're not playing you can't be considered bad. Aaron Rodgers didn't play either.

I'm just saying I watch a LOT of NFL football and I can't recall anyone not named Jimmy Clausen who looked worse and I'm not just talking stats. I'm talking about judging talent. A guy can put up ugly stats and still show flashes of the prerequisite talent. That's what was disturbing about Clausen and Bryce. They just flat out didn't look like they had NFL QB talent.

Aaron Rodgers was sitting behind Brett Favre. He also wasn't on my list. 

JaMarcus Russell not being able to beat out Josh McCown and Jake Locker not being able to beat out 36 year old Matt Hasselbeck are apples to oranges man. 

Clausen was atrocious. Up there with Tony Pike, Brian St Pierre and Will Grier where you just knew we had zero chance every single week. 

I dont feel that way about BY just yet. Like I said originally, dude was bad last year and if he doesn't get substantially better won't be starting this time next year, he at least flashed though. 

The GB game, the drive in the rain against the Falcons, the drive to ice the Texans. I never saw anything close to that with Clausen. 

Anyway, we may just agree to disagree man. Have a great day.

• Pie 2
  • Beer 1

4 hours ago, bandu said:

you get so caught up in identifying the problems with everyone else what about an undersized Qb who almost led the league in bad throws last season & couldn't run the offense from under center which made it more difficult for the oL to sell the run on passing plays from the shotgun

I dare say right lol & can almost assure you that Bryce Young played a bigger role in the  problems we seen along the oL & with our WR corps than most people realize 

I seriously need to tag my posts for sarcasm 

• Beer 1

I expect Bryce to be much improved with better coaching around him and hopefully a better O-Line. I EXPECT it but that doesnt mean I think that will necessarily happen. I just expect that it should be the case and if it is not still then we must find a replacement who can play NFL QB successfully. Bryce seems like a great dude and I truly hope its turn around time and he is the one but I am cautiously optimistic from all the bad I saw from everyone last season. Some was on coaching and some on so many players just looking like they didnt give a fug and also some was on Bryce looking like he played scared and afraid the entire year. Bryce has some physical limitations but work in certain areas could make those not a huge deal. Its all mental at the QB position and if he is a great processor who believes he can make all the throws as well as plays unafraid and ready to push the ball downfield then he could be successful with the right coaching. He had no issues throwing bombs and throwing with distance in college so I expect him to do it for us now and cant make any excuses if he cannot now. 

10 hours ago, Day1PanthersFan said:

None of that matters when your QB can't throw it more than 5 yards down the field

What excuses will you use this season ?

So the completions to Jameson Williams at Alabama just didn't happen....

Bryce can throw downfield...but Mingo a 4.49 guy, and Chark who couldn't get off the LOS were our best outside options...with a 33 year old never been fast Thielen.

Let that sink in...THEN consider guys like Throckmorton, Zavala, and Bozeman getting destroyed each and every game. 

Bryce has his struggles, but let's not act like we had real vertical weapons, or even a potent offensive scheme. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, mrcompletely11 said:

you serious clark?

Yeah, I'm serious. You take all of the first year jitters any rookie QB starting will face. Then you put him behind an inept line, give him a group of WRs that features a 32-33 year old slot receiver as their only reliable guy and use him as WR1, no TEs to speak of, pay big bucks for an undersized and over-touted RB that isn't out competing practice squad players AND THEN pair it up with a dysfunctional owner/HC/OC combo that keeps running the same play concept again and again and again. (And coaches that were already at each other's backs with daggers don't develop young QBs... heck it's the hardest skill ever for any HC.. Jon Gruden never could do it and there's a case to be made that Belichick never did it (the QB developing the coach possibly there)).

Yeah, he was bad, legendarily bad, but he was in possibly the worst environment imaginable for a rookie QB. You can take away some mechanics issues that should have been worked on and still need to be worked on, but everything else was tainted by that environment. 

I wasn't impressed by him in the least for anything except for his character and willingness to go back out there and just get killed again and again. At least he wasn't running away on every play, little girly screams lifting to the cheap seats, like Pickles was. 

Will he be good this year? Honestly, the odds are stacked against him. They are on every young QB in the league, and he had more piled against him. Maybe Canales can fix him and the team. I sure hope so. If not, it's back to the drawing board and we'll have wasted two seasons.

I really don't want that to happen.

3 hours ago, Khyber53 said:

Right now, no one can know how Bryce will perform this year. There's nothing we can take from last year's work that wasn't tainted by bad coaching and bad players all around him. 

disagree.  

going into last year....some said Frank's O and the talented we added around Bryce didn't fit very well.  And that he would likely struggle as teams sat on our pass game with Bryce.   And that was basically how the entire season unfolded.   They didn't have the talent or scheme for Bryce to get the ball out quick....and the results were going to be bad for him without it. 

It's not his fault given we drafted him...but Bryce not fitting what we wanted to do offensively, killed the O. 

Mentioning that got you destroyed on the board last year.  That's still the case IMO.  Bryce Young is not the QB that you want running a Canales O.  But again, that won't be Bryce's fault.  This is all Tepper's creation and pairing of things. 

• Pie 2

38 minutes ago, frankw said:

Yea people that whine about the talent around him conveniently either never saw (because they didn’t watch the games) or forgot the multitude of times receivers were running open and he had plenty of time but just threw a stinker of a pass. Occasionally a receiver would make a miraculous adjustment and catch, but not often. 

• Beer 1
  • Flames 1

10 hours ago, Jackie Lee said:

His size is affecting his footwork, which is affecting his throwing velocity and accuracy. It's really not that hard to tie together. It's not all about his size, it's the trickle down effect of it and if they can find a work around without him resorting to these bad habits. Unless he's an absolute brainiac of a football mind it's a lot of effort spent on an uphill battle for the coaches and other offensive players

His accuracy is better than most. 

Try again. 

• Poo 1

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, pantherclaw said:

His accuracy is better than most. 

Try again. 

Laughable. Last year he was Teddy Bridgewater if Teddy Bridgewater couldn’t hit the broad side of a barn on 75% of his passes

Edited by JawnyBlaze
  • The D 1
  • Flames 1

There is such a wide disconnect in these discussions on Young because some fans cannot differentiate what ultimately amounts to blind faith based solely on fandom loyalty from real world data and results which say Young finished with one of the worst rookie QB seasons since the Carolina Panthers were introduced to the league.

In this era and generation of the sport your arm talent either stands out or it doesn't. That's what we need to see. None of the other moving parts matter without that.

• Pie 1
  • Beer 1