• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

NBA Draft

32 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

I don't follow the NBA at all and pretty much only watch if I happen to be in a bar with a game on or something like that, but he just doesn't seem to fit the modern NBA game at all. He's probably the #1 overall pick in an '80s or '90s draft, but I thought he'd probably be a late 1st flyer type of pick in today's game.

I honestly thought he was a mid-2nd round guy, TBH. I agree and had said similar about him being a top 5 pick in the 80's and 90's. But he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO unathletic. I just don't know how he has much impact other than a role player in very specific systems. I get that this is a bad draft but I am not sure I see him fitting in the NBA. I mean what is the comp? Probably someone like Marjanovic who is a journeyman bit player at under 10 mpg career. 

That's a top 10 pick????

4 minutes ago, kungfoodude said:

I honestly thought he was a mid-2nd round guy, TBH. I agree and had said similar about him being a top 5 pick in the 80's and 90's. But he is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO unathletic. I just don't know how he has much impact other than a role player in very specific systems. I get that this is a bad draft but I am not sure I see him fitting in the NBA. I mean what is the comp? Probably someone like Marjanovic who is a journeyman bit player at under 10 mpg career. 

That's a top 10 pick????

Don't follow the NBA near enough to come up with a modern comparison but he's basically Rik Smits IMO.

That's no insult. Smits was a solid if unspectacular '90s center on some very good Pacers teams and was a #2 overall draft pick. But where does he fit in the modern game?

2 hours ago, pantherdad said:

I hope he balls out like B. Miller, so half of y’all can shut the fug up. Said the same thing about him this time last year….Jesus, let the kid play and let’s see what he’s got first. Miserable fugs

There is literally no comparison between Miller and this dude. At all. Miller was a top 20 HS recruit and an SEC Player of the Year. I can understand skepticism about where he was picked and maybe some fit but the talent was obvious and he is was far more developed. 

This French dude is certainly a physical talent but he hasn't exactly been crushing it in Europe as a professional. EXTREMELY raw. TBH, we would be fools to even bring him over for the next couple of seasons. Stash him in Europe and let him develop there.

• Pie 1

5 minutes ago, LinvilleGorge said:

Don't follow the NBA near enough to come up with a modern comparison but he's basically Rik Smits IMO.

That's no insult. Smits was a solid if unspectacular '90s center on some very good Pacers teams and was a #2 overall draft pick. But where does he fit in the modern game?

I mean, he's basically going to be a screener for Ja Morant, most likely. That's literally his biggest benefit to Memphis. He might be an occasional rim protector but this won't be like college. He's gonna be facing a lot of dudes that can pull him out to deep water and drown him.

19 minutes ago, Shocker said:

Apparently the Spurs at 8 targeted Salaun and promptly traded that pick when we took him.  I mean they have drafted well in the past so they obviously saw something too.  That’s what I have for positive spins.  Hope he works out.

The Spurs have a history of developing overseas talent though. Our franchise hasn't developed anyone. 

• Beer 1

1 hour ago, kungfoodude said:

There is literally no comparison between Miller and this dude. At all. Miller was a top 20 HS recruit and an SEC Player of the Year. I can understand skepticism about where he was picked and maybe some fit but the talent was obvious and he is was far more developed. 

This French dude is certainly a physical talent but he hasn't exactly been crushing it in Europe as a professional. EXTREMELY raw. TBH, we would be fools to even bring him over for the next couple of seasons. Stash him in Europe and let him develop there.

They are bringing him over for sure. He averaged over 13 last part of the season and playoffs in a professional league. His defense will stick immediately and they have an open spot for him on the roster. 

5 minutes ago, carpanfan96 said:

They are bringing him over for sure. He averaged over 13 last part of the season and playoffs in a professional league. His defense will stick immediately and they have an open spot for him on the roster. 

Yeah, plus it sounds like maybe we are shooting for tanking, so it would make sense for him to just develop in the NBA. Doesn't matter if he is lost initially, as long as he gets reps. 

Oh well. I guess we will get another long term CLT dumpster fire.

I did some more research and watched a couple games of Salaun. I like him more than I did yesterday but still don't see star power. I think his ceiling is a solid starter who contributes in several areas, all-around good player, and definitely a stretch 4. All in all, I'm fine with the player but wish we could have gotten more out of a 6th pick. I don't want him to spend too much time in Charlotte this year, I think he needs playing time because you can tell defensively that he is very very toolsy with a high motor but raw. Some of his mistakes on that side of the ball are likely due to being young and somewhat inexperienced. 

• Pie 2

2 hours ago, Shocker said:

Apparently the Spurs at 8 targeted Salaun and promptly traded that pick when we took him.  I mean they have drafted well in the past so they obviously saw something too.  That’s what I have for positive spins.  Hope he works out.

Thank you. I'm holding judgement on this pick despite my first response which was "who"  All the talk of the organization not being able to develop players and also giving up too early on projects(Monk) is erroneous cause it's a new coach and leadership. 

• Pie 3

Yeah, plus it sounds like maybe we are shooting for tanking, so it would make sense for him to just develop in the NBA. Doesn't matter if he is lost initially, as long as he gets reps. 

Why do you think we are trying to tank?  If and yeah it's a big IF we can actually keep out core healthy we should be a playoff team with solid coaching and Lee certainly has the pedigree to be a good HC.  Melo and Miller playing front court and Williams (Mark and Grant) down low with possibly Bridges who we are trying to resign is a decent starting 5.  

2nd round guys I hope we draft. 

Ingram - UNC Homer here. 

Jamal Shead - smaller guy but has a big dog mentality. Tenacious on the court and in the classroom. Senior too so battle tested despite playing in weak conference. 

Tyler Kolek - playmaker and spark plug scorer that could lead the 2nd unit. 

But I'ts almost guaranteed the hornets will draft someone else. My first round guys were Rob Dillingham, Knecht and McCain so.... Viva la France I guess. 

A top 3-4 pick next draft will probably get the team a superstar. Top of that draft is currently loaded.