• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Internet Sweepstakes

Darth Biscuit

What's with these little internet cafe's popping up all around NC with this "Pot O Gold" sweepstakes, and the little sweepstakes video machines in convenience stores? My wife and I saw one of the internet cafe's yesterday out walking... I haven't been in one, so I was just curious.

As I understand it they are psudo legal gambling establishments.

I dont know exactly how they work but it has something to do with buying lottery tickets that allow you to play games. If you win then they manipulate the lottery in such a way that they can pay out.

Some weird sidestepping of the video poker ban.

This is what I figured... some loophole in the gambling laws being exploited.

It's video poker. For each dollar you play, you get a minute of phone time on a printout but some places don't give that to you. You give the money to someone who works there then they use a little remote thing to put your money in the machine.

The pot o gold is the bonus if you hit a certain combination and it sends you to a screen where you select a pot of gold which multiplies your winnings by the amount uncovered in the pot.

It's video poker. For each dollar you play, you get a minute of phone time on a printout but some places don't give that to you. You give the money to someone who works there then they use a little remote thing to put your money in the machine.

The pot o gold is the bonus if you hit a certain combination and it sends you to a screen where you select a pot of gold which multiplies your winnings by the amount uncovered in the pot.

Sounds hokey to me...

Archived