• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for a PC

DirtyMagic97

Until you try to upgrade one or don't mind paying for their advertising. :)

For run of the mill computer stuff, Compaq has to be the worst. Dell and HP just aren't for people looking to the future, 3-4 years down the road. If I had to get someone a pc for general use, the manufacturer really wouldn't be an issue at all. Except Compaq. The other two are ehhhhhhhh but whatever, you're just gonna be shopping on amazon or running microsoft office then who cares.

I'm all about finding the pragmatic solution for the problem, and not overkilling anything unless I just got money to blow on overkill.

We need to list some more advantages than price because there are more benefits than price.

Learning a new skill is always valuable, you'll be able to fix things that may arise without having to pay for repairs yourself.

You can upgrade and expand your PC much better than a pre-built.

All the parts of the computer will be better quality and you will know exactly what you have in it. A pre-built is made profitable by cutting corners on the PSU, Mobo, and Case.

The Warranties on your parts are much better than the warranty you will get from Pre-built. I've had parts with double lifetime warranties before. Try getting that with a pre-built. The most I've ever seen for free on a pre-built was a year.

The online community is excellent for computer geeks. The fact that you've gotten so many responses on Carolina Panthers forum proves it.

You can customize the computer exactly how you want it.

It's cheaper, unless you buy a refurb like PSC which is a bad idea. Refurbed electionics are a huge gamble.

You can canibilize other PC's you find and set up your house with a bunch of comps for different things like movie/music servers.

My pc isn't refurb.

Someone else said they buy refurb. I said I'd buy one if I found a steal.

The only thing I'm debating is price. I'm tired of the myth that you save money, and I really don't want to see someone get in over their head.

Its not as simple as some of you would like to make it out, and I wouldn't let any of you within 10 feet of my pc.

Do it if you are a super nerd and enjoy putting poo together. Or you want to create this beastly thing where you are particular about every part. Those are reasons to build your own computer.

I wouldn't build a PC unless I wanted to make a war machine that could run Crysis 2 at 120 FPS. For most gaming needs, a prebuilt is completely fine and going to be the same price.

And like I mentioned before, the OS comes installed and it's a legit copy. Which, for some reason I care about now.

Archived