• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Looking for a PC

DirtyMagic97

Alienware sucks.

Get an ASUS. Great gaming computers much more reasonably priced. Mine was about $1100 and it can handle anything out there.

The Aurora that Dell carries is 200 dollars more and it comes with a 2 year warranty I believe it was. Not to mention an ATi Crossfire setup. But thats neither here nor there, if your using it for gaming you're stupid to buy a prebuilt machine, unless of course you have disposable income.

I said that without even opening neweggs website and haven't built a machine in awhile my apologies. Ok 97 1500 would get you a bitchin machine then' date=' also do you need a monitor or do you have one?[/quote']

Well that's pretty awesome. I have a 23 inch HP LCD. I don't know if that's what I want to use though.

The Aurora that Dell carries is 200 dollars more and it comes with a 2 year warranty I believe it was. Not to mention an ATi Crossfire setup. But thats neither here nor there' date=' if your using it for gaming you're stupid to buy a prebuilt machine, unless of course you have disposable income.[/quote']

And don't want to go through the trouble of having your own built... And wanted a laptop.

Alienware is overpriced, it would never be worth it.

And don't want to go through the trouble of having your own built... And wanted a laptop.

Alienware is overpriced, it would never be worth it.

For laptops sure but like I said the Aurora that Dell has is a pretty good deal. 1300 for everything it has isn't bad at all. Like I have said many times though, build it yourself or get out of PC gaming.

Hey, it's still a good case with plenty of room. I put a 120 fan upfront and the airflow is great.

We should have a thread sticky for computer parts that people have for free or for cheap.

LOL dude I'm only joking around wasn't trying to be an asshole or anything so hopefully you didn't take it that way. As for the thread for parts I think that would be a good idea.

I'm thinking of getting a PC almost exclusively for gaming purposes. I have a Macbook for every day use, a Macbook pro for audio recording, and I don't want to use either for gaming. Does anyone have any suggestions on what I should get? I am don't really know much about them.

Just give me a budget and I can have a build for yah in a few hours once I get offa school.

lol 1500? I built the rig I'm on now for under a grand 2 years ago and it runs crysis on max everything.

Started with this barebones from Tiger Direct:

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5713908&CatId=2405

(Personally I don't think going Core i is worth it because of the expense right now)

add:

WD Caviar Black 640 GB Hard Drive

BFG GeForce 9800 GT 1GB 256-bit GDDR3 * 2 if you want to SLI

Another 4 GB OCZ RAM

Arctic Cooling Fan

And an operating system and you're sitting at just around $900.

Do you have a microcenter near you? You can get an i7 920 for $170.

9800GT? um that is fine if you were in 2008, but it is now 2010, get an ati 5xxx series, especially if you have an HDTV.

When I upgrade my prebuilt, I'm definitely going with the iX line. Single core and dual core just don't cut it anymore, and I'm tired of AMDs and their heat issues. Which is why I'm in favor of upgrading on regular intervals as opposed to buying entirely new systems or building a new one myself.

The barebones idea isn't horrid though, and building a PC isn't as hard as some people would lead you to believe. There's pretty much only one way to hook everything up, with a few options for the drive orders.

I'd personally rather find a solid prebuilt on sale from a manufacturer that isn't concerned with promoting an image, and have it right now, as opposed to waiting for newegg or tigerdirect to ship. The downside to this is cleaning off all the useless software that ships with it.

Though newegg will usually get it to you in a week. But you could have it up and gaming today if you really wanted to.

I started buying made machines a few years ago, I loved making the custom boxes but it takes a long time, there are always one or two things that dont quite work together, and these days the cost differential is not that great unless you are doing a very high end system.

I like HP machines, and will never buy another Dell. I did get my own graphics card for my HP desktop as I run a MMORPG on a nice monitor...

Dell's garbage, Compaq is garbage, and HP is suspect imo, but the lesser of the 3 evils by far.

Everyone talks poo about them, but I like eMachines and Acers. Easy to upgrade, affordable and cheaper than Gateway. Besides, Acers are really Gateways anyway. Same mobos, same procs, same everything for a lower price.

But once you figure out the cost in man hours, you're usually in the hole when you build your own. You gotta think of how much you would pay a professional to do it, then tack that cost on there, which is usually an extra 150-200$.

I wouldn't build anyone a PC for less than 100$ going in my pocket and I'm not a pro.

Archived