• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Magic Johnson vs Larry Bird

Zod

I was walking back to my Dorm room one Friday and ran into Tom (Crowder). (I was a TA for the School of Enginering.)

Tom said "Let's go eat".

I lived in the jock dorm and on Friday's. NCAA mandates that basketball atheletes during the season have to be guaranteed one healthy meal a week. The School would close off our cafeteria to feed the plyaers during the season.

I told Tom that I there was no way, anyone woudl believe I was part of the team. (6'-2", 300 lbs! football player not bball!)

He said, "What the worse that can happen. They tell you to get lost."

So we walked in and he gave the girl his ID and she said "OK" and I handed her mine. She looks at me and says, "You're not on the list."

Tom doesn't miss a beat and says, "He's out equipment manager. I told him he could eat with us."

She handed my ID back and said, "Whatever."

They gave me the biggest T-bone steak I have ever seen in my life! It had to be 22 oz! I spilled over the oval plate!

Then they handed me a bake potato the size of a junior football. I asked if I could get some margerine. The cook said that butter and sour cream are on the salad bar!

Then she gave me a bowl of corn, not that little bowl that student get, but a soup bowl size.

Finally they had real Banana Pudding! With pieces of real banana and "Nilla Wafers". Tom said 2 please and she handed him another one, and he said, he wants 2 as well. She handed me 2 also.

Not bad to be a basketball player! (Or even an equipment mgr!)

Anyway, I ended up eating with everyone but Larry (He was married and lived in Married Student Housing.) from that 1979 team!

Bob Heaton was this 7'-1" white boy! He was standing beside of me at the salad bar. That was one tall guy!

Oh by the way, BITE ME! Billy Packer!

Dr J was only in one clip I think when Bird went to choke him. lol

A lot of the documentary was about race and racism in boston and LA and such. Bird himself was the furthest thing from racist. Bird would go as a kid and find the courts with the black folks, because they were the best. His only impression as a kid of black people was they were nice enough to let him play and treated him good. He really sees no color at all.

zod that's how my bro and i grew up. 9 times out of 10 we were the only white kids on all the sports teams. our hood was very mixed so we would play other areas in sports and dominate. oh and we didnt sit on the bench either

those times paid off. of course when there are gangs and its time to pay back drug money or somethings going down it comes in handy when they know ya from back in the day and could play. that's why im able to type..ha ha

I have another Larry Bird Story, actually 2 more.

When we graduated in 1979, I was hired by IBM as an engineer. I was the highest paid grad of 1979. a distinction I held for about 2 weeks! The School of Technology asked me if they could publish that fact, I didn't care and said, sure, but you better hurry.

Sure enough, about 2-3 weeks later Larry signed with the Celtics for $600,000/yr and blew my salary of $20,000/year away! :(

Then in 1984 I was in Japan on business for 2 weeks. I was working with other IBM'ers from IBM Japan. One night we were at a bar and one of them asked me where I went to college. I told them Indiana State. I had another IBM'er from the states along with me and he said that a very famous person graduated from there, Larry Bird. Very famous baskeball player.

They were less than fascinated. Then I remember the other famous person I graduated with. A gymnist by the name of Kurt Thomas. I dropped his name and they couldn't believe that I went to school with the GREAT KURT THOMAS! Every gymnast in Japan studies tapes of the great Kurt Thomas!

It's the only time that Kurt ever passed Larry in being famous! :D

Archived