• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

And that is why you don't mess with 18 wheelers

Ja  Rhule

My dad's been driving a truck for years, and he could tell you some horror stories. It's ridiculous what people will do. They used to say truckers were the knights of the highway, they'd often stop to help people with car trouble, and most everyone respected them and gave them a lot of leeway. Now they're either tailgating, cutting them off, or refuse to give them space to merge and so on. Which in turn makes truckers less courteous as well.

I've never driven an 18 wheeler, but used to drive large box trucks for the rental company I worked for in college... people will cut you off in a heart beat and those things take a long way to stop, esp. when loaded.

18 wheelers stop quicker when loaded.

I have my CDL just to train new employees, I might be in a truck 20 hrs a year max. You would be shocked how many people cut off 18 wheelers in traffic.

Jbro, I am listening to White Zombie's, More human that human right now, and saw your sig for the first time...it was like it was choreographed!

Do you know how much it sucks to drive anything like that? Eveybody risks their lives just to ensure they aren't stuck behind the bus/dumptruck/tractor trailer/ect. While I was taking my CDL test someone in a Del Sol cut me off.

i don't know about trying to kill yourself to merge in front of a semi, but i do try to avoid getting stuck behind them due to reduced visibility and damage to your vehicle from the rocks and debris they can churn up into your windshield/front end.

Only time I recall coming close to cutting off an 18 wheeler was when I was driving down 77 south and passed my brother who I was suppose to follow at the time. I wind up in my own world at one point so I call my brother to make sure of the exit number, turns out right as he says 6A I am within 500 feet of the exit and two lanes over to the left. I check my blind spot, as I always have a paranoid sense to do, an 18 wheeler is right there ready to clip me if I decided to make the move. I came within split seconds of accelerating and turning into the lane but luckily cooler heads prevailed. Ended up missing the exit and found a quicker way to the location anyhow.

But you see the problem here with how things like this happen. Cell phones, unfamiliar with your surroundings, any distractions or discomfort and your done for.

Archived