• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Best genre for sequels?

Mr. Scot

Comedy sequels usually don't work. All too often the premise is played out.

Horror sequels tend to fail because the shock of the initial is gone.

Romance sequels fall flat because they have to "unresolve" what's already resolved. Ditto for dramas.

In my opinion, action and sci-fi movies are the ones that do the best with sequels.

As a subset, comic book movies are especially well-suited because their fans generally want to see new villains and such.

Am I missing anything here?

(besides sleep)

I thought Lake Ho'z was pretty good. You know, the sequel to Lake House.

In all seriousness, I thought it would be a cool concept to involve a small cast of characters, kinda like the TV show 'Friends' but in more of a movie "Crash' kinda way. Have several movies that span throughout their entire lives and involve all the genres.

3 little words. "Bond, James Bond!"

007 has endured how many sequels, and how many Bonds, 6? Yes, some have been better than others, ("Goldfinger" still rates as my all time favorite, and "In her Majesties Secret Service" as it's worst.)

Action-Adventure followed closely by Sci-Fi will always win in any remake. (Though Jaws 2-? could have stood not to be made and Jurasic Park 2 they could have left out.)

The first 3 Star Wars, and the Star Trek movies, while not all great when campared to each other, are still worth a watch.

I think a comedy sequel can work. I still watch the Austin Powers, Naked Gun, and Pink Panther sequels.

Maybe it's just wishful thinking because I want Hangover 2 to be really good. They were smart to leave a few plotlines to pursue in the sequel, like Heather Graham's enormous jugs...er, relationship with Ed Helms.

I am also very hopeful for Zombieland 2, but this has a higher pSuck (probablility of suck), because it was wrapped up at the end. Problems with comedy sequels are when the movie was resolved at the end of the first and the sequel is just to squeeze some extra bucks out of the franchise.

Does a longer wait time mean a better movie? Phantasm had 10 years between episodes and that was a worthy sequel, but I havent seen the 3rd or 4th. I thought that Stallone's revamping of Rambo was decent and Rocky Balboa was very good.

The Die Hard series didnt need the last installment, neither did Indiana Jones. I am very apprehensive about Boondock Saints 2, I dont want it to knock down the pedestall that the 1st sitting on.

I am also very hopeful for Zombieland 2, but this has a higher pSuck (probablility of suck), because it was wrapped up at the end. Problems with comedy sequels are when the movie was resolved at the end of the first and the sequel is just to squeeze some extra bucks out of the franchise.

How is it wrapped up? There is still a world full of zombies...

How is it wrapped up? There is still a world full of zombies...

Most Zombie movies end with a world full of zombies. What loose ends were there to explore in a sequel. If the only common tie between one movie and the other is a world full of zombies, and the same cast, it will suck.

Most Zombie movies end with a world full of zombies. What loose ends were there to explore in a sequel. If the only common tie between one movie and the other is a world full of zombies, and the same cast, it will suck.

There's a lot they could do with Columbus or Tallahassee since the story of the first was just focused on Little Rock and Wichita.

Archived