• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Fried Pumpkin

ThPantherFan

The last pumpkin of the season made its way into the kitchen today. I sliced and diced it, put some flour, salt, and pepper on the slices (about 1/4 inch thick) and put them in a pan of hot grease and fried them bad boys. Fried pumpkin is good. I took some and made the wife a treat by putting some confectioner sugar and cinnamon on some of them. That will make your tongue slap the back of your neck. Ummmmmm, I can't wait till this years crop is ready. I also made some pumpkin chips. I thinly slice the pumpkin and bake the slices at 425 degrees till they curl up on the end and turn just slightly golden. I like mine still moist, but you can continue to cook them till they are dry. I like to put taco seasoning on them. Pumpkin is not just for pies. Try it, you'll like it. Maybe this year I can get Andy to fry some up at a tailgate. Hm, not a bad idea.

I have tried to grow pumpkins the last 2 years for Halloween. 2 years ago I harvested 2 and last year I couldn't get any females to grow (determined the seeds were gay).

I didn't realize you could harvest them this late in the year.

You winter them over to have to eat. Once you harvest your winter squashes in the fall, you put them in a dry cool place and they will last through the winter and beyond.

People don't use winter squash as they should. Soups, casseroles, and other dishes made from any winter squash is delish this time of year.

Archived