• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Greetings from the Cardinals

Cardinal Nation

I really did not want to see the Cards again. The most suspect unit of our team is tasked with defending what makes their team work. Kurt drug us up and down the field last meeting and we had no answer. There is nothing really that says he cannot do it again but I for one feel that if they come in with the same game plan as then, they will walk out with another loss simply because I do not believe they can repeat that effort. In spite of the loss, they flat embarrassed us last time.

I feel confident in not only our ability to make a slight adjustment but in Kurt's inability to repeat such a fantastic showing.

We need our interior defense back on the field. We need some edge pressure maybe even a little from #66 if he is up to it. We need the DB's heads to be screwed on straight. We need continued effort from Double Trouble ( I am getting used to that name a little now). But most of all we need for Jake to make solid, playoff decisions with the football.

We get that, all due respect Cardinals, but it really matters not what you do.

I really did not want to see the Cards again. The most suspect unit of our team is tasked with defending what makes their team work. Kurt drug us up and down the field last meeting and we had no answer. There is nothing really that says he cannot do it again but I for one feel that if they come in with the same game plan as then, they will walk out with another loss simply because I do not believe they can repeat that effort. In spite of the loss, they flat embarrassed us last time.

I feel confident in not only our ability to make a slight adjustment but in Kurt's inability to repeat such a fantastic showing.

We need our interior defense back on the field. We need some edge pressure maybe even a little from #66 if he is up to it. We need the DB's heads to be screwed on straight. We need continued effort from Double Trouble ( I am getting used to that name a little now). But most of all we need for Jake to make solid, playoff decisions with the football.

We get that, all due respect Cardinals, but it really matters not what you do.

Good post...except I'm not as confident in Warner's ability to NOT repeat his performance.

IMO, we simply need Kemo and Lewis healthy, because it is going to be all about getting pressure on Warner.

I don't have a handle on what kind of game they are going to get out of their OL with Edge...but I know if Kemo is 100% it increases our chances of making sure it is not much. Without Kemo, things change.

Boldin's status is also critical. Remember he had a 70 ydr Saturday...so taking him out of the game limits their big play potential. A Warner with Fitz/Boldin scenerio is a lot different than a Warner with only Fitz. The less our secondary has to deal with the better.

Arizona will have to avoid an emotional letdown after playing so strong and getting a win against Atlanta. Sometimes teams can get emotionally spent from having to dig that deep in order to win. I think that is just as much of a concern as the physical aspect of playing in back to back weeks in the playoffs. Sometimes you watch teams and kind of say, "Man, that was probably their Super Bowl", after they win. With all due respect to the Cardinals, that is what that win looked like to me. With that team winning the most important game in modern franchise history last week, I think that feel good feeling may prevent them from being as focused. That job will fall on Whisenhunt this week to keep them on track and to make them realize the job isn't over.

In terms of the actual X's and O's of this game, Richard Marshall is going to be an important part of the gameplan this week. He's going to have to come up huge. With three WR's that are legit threats, our 3rd corner is going to have to play like an all-pro in order to minimize them. I'm not buying that Boldin is questionable. I expect to see him at close to full strength. I hope the Panthers do too.

Peppers vs. the offensive line is going to be a huge battle too. Everybody on the line is going to have to stop him because Carolina likes to move him around. He'll be on both ends of the line, he'll be attacking the guard/center combo on stunts, and he'll be dropping back into coverage in order to take away the underneath action that the Cardinals like to run.

Jon Beason is a GREAT run stopping middle, but we're going to need to see the less convincing pass coverage aspect of his game as well this week.

In terms of our offensive unit .... i'm not really all that concerned. I think we have a decided advantage on this side of the ball. Carolina offense vs. Arizona defense should favor us on paper. However, we all know the game isn't played on paper.

Arizona should get a steady diet of Williams/Stewart and, for emphasis, LOW RISK PASSING GAME.

I would be willing to bet that in the first 15 set plays we're going to run, there will be a Steve Smith reverse or a play where they get the ball in his hands behind the LOS. Watch for that. I am almost certain they'll test the Arizona defense with Smith in the first posession via his open field skills.

I also don't think we're going to see Carolina stretch the field in the first half either. The Arizona CB's are fast and can make plays back there by what they lack in straight up lock down ability.

Jake needs to make short and quick, accurate passes and let Smith do what he does. 3rd downs we need Jarrett and Moose to make clutch grabs on short routes.

I think with the way we run our offense we're going to see a lot of 3rd and short situations. These will be the key to the game. We're going to need an even mix of runs and passes in these situations to maintain balance.

Good post...except I'm not as confident in Warner's ability to NOT repeat his performance.

IMO, we simply need Kemo and Lewis healthy, because it is going to be all about getting pressure on Warner.

I don't have a handle on what kind of game they are going to get out of their OL with Edge...but I know if Kemo is 100% it increases our chances of making sure it is not much. Without Kemo, things change.

Boldin's status is also critical. Remember he had a 70 ydr Saturday...so taking him out of the game limits their big play potential. A Warner with Fitz/Boldin scenerio is a lot different than a Warner with only Fitz. The less our secondary has to deal with the better.

His numbers that day were almost perfect. If not for that INT off a tip they probably would have been perfect. They definitely would have won the game. Maybe it's wishful thinking just a tad but I have to believe that if they are counting on him to repeat that, they are already done. With that recent film plus what the fans are gonna bring (it's gonna get rowdy) I do not think he will be in the same zip code as those previous numbers. He is good but in the end it's not even up to him. If we get a few things to go our way health-wise, and get top effort from our D and our D coordinator, our O should handle business.

I just have a feeling we have suffered the very best of Kurt Warner for this season the last time he made the trip and lost. What's gonna change this time. BETTER numbers? Not likely. A run game? Less likely if we are healthy again.

He's got one of his aces running around on one leg when he can run. Even if he looks good all week and in warm-ups, a hamstring resurfaces whenever it wants to and there is no warning. In the back of Kurt's mind as Boldin shoots down the seam looking like he has a step on the coverage is..

"Is that thing gonna pop while this ball is in the air?"

I like our chances but I still wish Minny was coming to town instead.

You can't give a veteran like Warner time to throw. He will find an open man. Peppers better bring his A-game.

My father-in-law lives in Lake Havasu (not IN the lake, the town). I don't know what to bet him since I already have sex with his daughter.

What's gonna change this time. BETTER numbers? Not likely. A run game? Less likely if we are healthy again.

He's got one of his aces running around on one leg when he can run. Even if he looks good all week and in warm-ups, a hamstring resurfaces whenever it wants to and there is no warning. In the back of Kurt's mind as Boldin shoots down the seam looking like he has a step on the coverage is..

"Is that thing gonna pop while this ball is in the air?"

That's my mantra though. The dynamics of this game hinge on how healthy these key players are on both teams.

Us...with or without Kemo/Lewis...changes the dynamics of how we get pressure on Warner and affect their "new found" run game and whether we give Pep the freedom to pass rush or just go into Z dog play.

Them...with or without Boldin, affect how our secondary and LB's play and how much we play the attack game or the hold them game.

Hmmm. Realistically, whilst Kurt isn't obviously guaranteed to get gaudy numbers, he is really very consistent. Obviously, he has Fitz and Boldin to throw to, which can only help him. But the key is to get pressure early and often, which is, sadly, something you are good at.

As for Boldin, he is not here for his big play ability, he is here to crack some skulls. Realistically, we very, very rarely give Q a shot downfield because he doesn't have elite speed, he'll just run your *** over if you get in front of him. 3rd and short = Boldin downs, according to Steve Spagnolo, because he can catch it beyond the line, or short of the line and power over people for the 1st.

I think that Whis will try to run it early, to establish it, but I feel it will be nowhere near as successful as it was last week.

Welcome Cards fans. Sorry you had to go through the Atlanta experience.

I hope we can somewhat contain Warner or he could make it a very long day for us. Other than that, i think it will be a good game and hopefully no injuries on either side.

I know most Card fans are classy because when we went out there last year, we were greeted well and had a lot of fun....

Hmmm. Realistically, whilst Kurt isn't obviously guaranteed to get gaudy numbers, he is really very consistent. Obviously, he has Fitz and Boldin to throw to, which can only help him. But the key is to get pressure early and often, which is, sadly, something you are good at.

As for Boldin, he is not here for his big play ability, he is here to crack some skulls. Realistically, we very, very rarely give Q a shot downfield because he doesn't have elite speed, he'll just run your *** over if you get in front of him. 3rd and short = Boldin downs, according to Steve Spagnolo, because he can catch it beyond the line, or short of the line and power over people for the 1st.

I think that Whis will try to run it early, to establish it, but I feel it will be nowhere near as successful as it was last week.

But the big play threat is still there with Boldin. My point is that, if he is healthy he is playmaker "enough" that he will draw a lot of attention and slice/confuse assignments in the secondary.

outrageous pillocks

hahaha...you must be of British extraction...I love that insult (and yes they ARE).

I think Whiz is coach of the week for the way the Cards played Saturday. He had them ready and they were intense all game long (as was your crowd, kudos to them as well). That's probably the best I have seen them play all year and certainly it is the right time for them to be playing like that.

If I were the Cards, I would indeed test Carolina's run D because they have been suspect for quite a few weeks now, Kemo or no Kemo.

Welcome, Cards fans.

Archived