• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Finding a first job after college

RedMage138

I'm not in the IT business and I'm no longer in NC, but in my opinion, indeed.com and simplyhired.com are hands down the best job search websites. Make sure you're using those if you aren't already. They aggregate postings from lots of job sites (like Monster, etc) and thousands of corporate sites.

Did you know that Gmail is picked up by most corporate e-mail spam-blockers? You probably know that, being in IT and all. But no one told me! Found out 3 months and 120 resumes later and when I emailed someone something at their job and it turned up in the junk mail folder.

And I'm sure I sound like a broken record, because I say this in every thread about finding a job; The most qualified person for a job probably won't be the one who gets it. And it sure as hell won't be the guy buried down in some HR lady's inbox. It's the guy who knows somebody in the company who got him an interview.

Develop some professional connections if you haven't already, even at the personal level. I got my job because I happened to work at a golf course with the Director of a Fortune 500 company. And I got offered a job at the DEA two weeks ago after shooting the shiz with an agent in a bar. Having an in goes a looooooooong way. Find out where people in your field hang out and hang out there. Try to pick their brains, find out about their line of work, you never know, they might have something for you.

This is a big reason why I'm thinking that I'm just going to go to graduate school. Job market is terrible.

To get a job you either need to be lucky, or really have a ton of initiative, keep your options open, and really get on it. Be persistent.

looking in the health care field right now, Help Desk, Tech Support, Software Implementation that sort of thing. And yeah I know about the connections and all that to get my foot in the door, that's why I'm asking here.

When I needed a job, I found a company that I wanted to work for, found out which temp agency they used, and applied there. Waited until a contract position with that company came up, and took it. Took several months, but it turned into a permanent position.

Archived