• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Term life ins - No medical exam

Happy Panther

How is that not fair? People would just carry tons of debt until they die and then it would just get written off. That would not be fair.

Creditors have claims on your estate, but it's not like your kid is going to be paying off your ass for the rest of his life. It doesn't work like that.

But yeah, everything, the house, cars, etc would all go

Oh and I've heard that the magic number is half a million of LI for each you and your wife, for 1m total. That's what all the knowitall professors say around school anyways.

You will be paying out of the wazoo with term, so I'd try to avoid it if you can.

For a single person, term and that may be to settle debts.

The estate happens when you do NOT have either a will or a Trust of some sorts. You have those to AVOID the Estate process and then probate. That is what ties up time and can incur debt onto anyone that inherits something.

My advice to anyone with kids, get term, invest the difference and make sure you have a living will AND a Trust.

I have all my bene's split in half. One half to immediate family, the other to the Trust. This cuts down tax implications and puts some proceeds into a controllable scenario by the person named in the living will to "manage" those funds. This also keeps probate out.

There are alot of rule of thumb's on how much coverage to get. If you own a home, have enough to pay it off. If you are single that might be all you need plus any outstanding debts.

Have two copies of the will if not more. One in a safe dep box, one with your attny and one on a hard drive. Maybe even one to a trusted friend/relative.

Archived