• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

The Pacific.

Kurb

I thought it was very good. Not great, but it was the first episode, and it will have to be compared to Band of Brothers which was GOAT, so it has a lot to live up to.

They really didn't develop the characters like they did in BoB which I imagine they will have to at some point in order to prevent it from becoming a documentary.

All in all it was a solid B for the first show.

For some reason the European theater of operations has always captured the American psyche.

The Pacific theater has always been second fiddle.

I think, and this may seem esoteric and weird, but to me it has an element of racism of the time involved.

The hatred on both sides and the overt race war that was a part of it makes that conflict a bit less palatable for some people.

Add the whole nuke thing and you get a "less popular war".

That stuff doesn't mean beans to me, since that was where my grandfathers were and the heroism and sacrifice was just as worthy as in Europe.

Dunno.

Just my random thoughts.

Don't have HBO, so I'll be buying it on DVD. Looking forward to it.

For some reason the European theater of operations has always captured the American psyche.

The Pacific theater has always been second fiddle.

I think, and this may seem esoteric and weird, but to me it has an element of racism of the time involved.

The hatred on both sides and the overt race war that was a part of it makes that conflict a bit less palatable for some people.

Add the whole nuke thing and you get a "less popular war".

That stuff doesn't mean beans to me, since that was where my grandfathers were and the heroism and sacrifice was just as worthy as in Europe.

Dunno.

Just my random thoughts.

Don't have HBO, so I'll be buying it on DVD. Looking forward to it.

Totally see that and from what my grandfather said, really spot on. I forgot it was on last night cuz we were too busy getting a property ready to sell, but I'll have to check it out on On Demand ASAP....I hate that I didn't get to see it yesterday. Not enough hours in da day...

Totally see that and from what my grandfather said, really spot on. I forgot it was on last night cuz we were too busy getting a property ready to sell, but I'll have to check it out on On Demand ASAP....I hate that I didn't get to see it yesterday. Not enough hours in da day...

Yep.

I'm not basing my weird thoughts on just my ridiculously lengthy study of WWII, but what my grandpas said. I should say, what little they said about the war in the Pacific.

Both of them pretty much said they hated the Japanese, and didn't really get over it. Some guys did, others carried that feeling to the grave.

June 6 1944 was sorta Western Whites coming to the rescue of other Western Whites. Heck, even the long, slow, miserable slog up Italy didn't get much respect.

All those "holding down a bulk of Axis forces" type stuff never got any pub.

One of my Grandpas was in the CBI, the ultimate stepchild along those lines.

I think most folks don't even remember we were there.

Anyhow, I figure this series will be fantastic, since the people doing it seem to know what they are doing.

I'm just guessing it won't become quite the phenomenon that BoB did because of the "ugliness" that really can't be missed if one actually pays attention.

Again, doesn't matter to me, but my guess is it won't have the appeal of BoB to the general population. And it might even get torn down by stupid critics on BOTH sides of the political spectrum, as it will likely depict acts of "barbarism" from both sides, which will be interpreted by flag wavers as Anti-Amercian anti-hero Hollywood weirdoism, and those on the other side will see American acts of humanity as jingoism.....or whatever, however it is depicted. That paragraph doesn't make sense, but I think yoou get my point.

Which is all crap, since the bottom line is, it is all true, and as you guys are fond of.....it is what it is (Foxism).

And the sacrifice is worthy of a damn fine miniseries.

I watched it over my lunch break and thought it was pretty good. I was expecting a little more, but BoB didn't get real interesting until the 2nd episode. Watching all the preview stuff('making of' and such) it seems they want to make it as accurate as possible, so I wouldn't be surprised if a good hunk of racism is included. It was somewhat of a recurring theme in BoB that they were fighting an enemy very similar to themselves.

I thought it was very good. Not great, but it was the first episode, and it will have to be compared to Band of Brothers which was GOAT, so it has a lot to live up to.

They really didn't develop the characters like they did in BoB which I imagine they will have to at some point in order to prevent it from becoming a documentary.

All in all it was a solid B for the first show.

Character developement is going to be more difficult in this series. Band of Brothers followed a single company from boot camp to the end, therefore character development was not that difficult. From what I understand, The Pacific does not follow a single company, but is based on the exploits from books about different individuals.

I would like to see them do a miniseries on the exploits of the USS Enterprise. She participated in nearly every major engagement in the Pacific, and would make a very interesting subject, from Pearl Harbor to Okinawa.

Character developement is going to be more difficult in this series. Band of Brothers followed a single company from boot camp to the end, therefore character development was not that difficult. From what I understand, The Pacific does not follow a single company, but is based on the exploits from books about different individuals.

I would like to see them do a miniseries on the exploits of the USS Enterprise. She participated in nearly every major engagement in the Pacific, and would make a very interesting subject, from Pearl Harbor to Okinawa.

A good idea.

I'd settle for a movie based on this

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Stand-Tin-Sailors-Extraordinary/dp/0553802577

• 3 weeks later...

so um...what the hell was Episode 3 all about? I am all for some boobs and fun and all, but I didn't watch this show for that! Week 4 had better come back strong!!!

Haven't watched it yet (waiting for the DVD) but from what I have read, one of the men portrayed (Leckie I think) wrote some stories about his time in Australia on RnR, and this episode was about that (albeit very loosely).

Archived