• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Any suggestions for lowering BP...

ThaJackal

Blood pressure is way too high and I am knocking back on sodium (food is terrible right now) and beer and doing a lot more cardio at the gym. I have lost 8 pnds and the BP is still too high (matter of fact, diastolic hasn't dropped at all, systolic has dropped a bit). Been working on it for 2 weeks now. Can't really eliminate stress from my job. Any suggestions?

BP medicine. I am on Diovan and seems to do a pretty good job on controlling my BP.

If you want something over the counter, look for a place that specializes in chinese medicines. Look for Health Concerns formulas.

Don't take them together. They will cause your BP to drop drasticly.

White Willow Bark (Asprin) will thin the blood and lower BP as well.

Less caffeine and fattening food. Stay away from salty foods! If you smoke, quit! Rest more. Spend more time out on fresh air. Get in touch with your doc asap. Ask your doctor for lisinopril 10mg Rx to start off. Its a well proven generic and way cheaper than diovan and will work just as well if not better.

diet and exercise. routinely. plenty of foods high in fiber and low in fat. you'll see and feel a dramatic change. If you are looking into a medication look into lisinopril/hctz. its a blood pressure medicine plus a diuretic. plus its on walmarts $4 list.

Eating a more balanced diet, exercise (need cardiovascular workout but also helps with stress-busting too), losing weight are more long term fixes. Controlling caffeine and salt intake now will help you more immediately. Also watch your cholesterol intake since this could be contributing to an elevated blood pressure too.

Possibly medication and see a doctor if your blood pressure is consistently higher >140/90 or >130/80 if you have diabetes or chronic kidney condition. If you are getting frequent headaches, getting dizzy or lightheaded, or feeling tired all the time...see a doctor. I purchased a blood pressure monitor and started monitoring my blood pressure in the morning and in the evenings to see if was consistently elevated. I am on meds now but most of my family have high blood pressure.

Good luck. I understand if you don't want to get on meds so control what you can first but see a doctor if it's consistently high.

Archived