• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Dragon Age Origins, or Oblivion...

Samuel L. Jackson

I'm looking at Oblivion because of the price, and the fact that I have heard it is basically Fallout 3, but within a different realm...

It's the other way around. Fallout 3 is Oblivion with guns.

As for your question, get Oblivion. It's the better game IMO.

I'm looking at Oblivion because of the price, and the fact that I have heard it is basically Fallout 3, but within a different realm...

It is basically nothing like Fallout 3...Oblivion bored me and the leveling was fuged up. I loved Elder Scrolls 3...Oblivion wasn't in the same class IMO...and Oblivion isn't in the same class as Fallout 3 either.

see, this is where my confusion comes in...

Some people compare Oblivion and Fallout 3 (like MMH), and some say Oblivion is nowhere near as fun (like sk)...

I've played elder scrolls 3, oblivion and Fallout 3. And I agree with MMH Fallout 3 plays like oblivion (oblivion came first) my favorite out of the bunch is Oblivion I've put 300+ hours into it (may be more but can't remember) fallout 3 took me about 80 hours.

You should play, in this order:

1) Mass Effect

2) Mass Effect 2

3) Dragon Age

4) Oblivion + expansion packs

5) Mass Effect 3 (it will be out by the time you're done with the above)

The Mass Effect story is literally the best storyline in gaming ever. It puts everything else to shame.

I've played elder scrolls 3, oblivion and Fallout 3. And I agree with MMH Fallout 3 plays like oblivion (oblivion came first) my favorite out of the bunch is Oblivion I've put 300+ hours into it (may be more but can't remember) fallout 3 took me about 80 hours.

How exactly does Fallout 3 and Oblivion compare? I honestly don't get that comparison at all. Oblivion and ES III would be a more accurate comparison and ES III was way more fun and the leveling wasn't fuged up in that game. The only thing Oblivion did better than ES III was the graphics. All I know is that I played both Fallout 3 and ES III, multiple times and couldn't be bothered with playing through Oblivion more than once. It does have a lot of depth but it just wasn't as fun to play for me.

Edit: It may be a different experience on the computer though...I played them all on the Xbox or the Xbox 360. I know the mod's for the computer version probably fixed all the poo I didn't like about it.

One of the reasons I love bioware so much is because they're one of the few companies that actually give a poo about storylines in games.

True.

They don't cater to the douche bags that want their games to be like Michael Bay movies. I can't wait for the next Bioware rpg series.

I'd have to go with Oblivion out of the two (and I own both).

Not only is Oblivion going to give you much more gameplay time (you can easily sink 200+ hours into one character), but there are literally thousands of user-created mods out there for it now. Some of which are amazingly good. http://www.tesnexus.com if you want a sampling of the mods out there.

RE: Fallout VS. Oblivion... yes, they share the same engine. So the "feel" of the two games can somewhat be similar (I can tell in the way the engine "moves"). But that's where it ends... without VATS, limited ranged weapons, and a completely different atmosphere (nuclear wasteland vs. fantasy woodland), Oblivion is a much different experience.

RE: Dragon Age VS. Oblivion... The best analogy I can think of, would like comparing Lord of the Rings (Dragon Age) with a series of "Choose your own Adventure" books involving the same character (your character that is). Oblivion has SO many side quests, you do not have to finish the main quest. You can actually simply avoid it and become a fighters guild master, a holy knight, an assassin lord, a master theif, an archmage, a vampire, or all of the above (well more or less).

Archived