• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Deangelo Williams... next......

invisible38833

Selfless, would do anything to help the team, etc.

Getting paid double of what your worth isn't selflessness. I'm sure anyone would do a job they get paid double it's worth for (besides peppers).

Dwill is going to have to take a cut and/or Stewy is going to not mind taking most of the reps, and a new coach who takes over the team will have to be 80% run based like Fox for him not to be traded soon.

If all of those don't happen happen, a trade will; which I think is very likely.

With all the $$$ the Panthers have cleared for the 2011 season, and the fact that many consider this year as a throw away, why would they throw Williams away (in a contract year[think of the production capabilities]) just for a #1 pick when they APPEAR to be making sure not TO SPEND BIG this season???

It just doesnt make sense for what is going on this offseason. (Jerry isnt going to pay some kid 45 million dollars for because he is a 1st rounder- this makes giving up this years 1st round pick make more sense[maybe jerry had this planned all along?)

I think that Jerry wants to keep double trouble together for as long as possible and to make sure they can keep them both they are saving the $$$ they need.

DeAngelo Williams is the best thing to happen to this team since Steve Smith.

If you had 2 Steve Smiths you wouldnt trade one of them.

There is no need to get rid of either one, I think they both will have long careers as Panthers.

Also-

I think Jerry Knew there would be no new deal (remember he was one of the owners who pushed for the early opt out of the CBA) last offseason.

With him knowing that I think he told hurney to get rid of this years #1 so he wouldnt have to over pay some rook because next season there will be a rookie cap.

Now he is cutting cost, getting rid of bad contracts, and doesnt have to worry about overpaying a rookie contract when next season (possibly) there will be a cap.

I think Jerry has had this plan in place for a while.

And that why the "trading DWill for a #1 make NO SENSE.

Also-

I think Jerry Knew there would be no new deal (remember he was one of the owners who pushed for the early opt out of the CBA) last offseason.

With him knowing that I think he told hurney to get rid of this years #1 so he wouldnt have to over pay some rook because next season there will be a rookie cap.

Now he is cutting cost, getting rid of bad contracts, and doesnt have to worry about overpaying a rookie contract when next season (possibly) there will be a cap.

If you had the 28th pick you wouldn't be paying a rookie 45 million, They'd get a deal similar to Beason's and Dwill's.

Not a whole lot of money and you can front load the small contract for this season with a bonus and guaranteed money.

Dwill makes 750k this season and his contract was 5 years for 14.5 million.

If you had the 28th pick you wouldn't be paying a rookie 45 million, They'd get a deal similar to Beason's and Dwill's.

Not a whole lot of money and you can front load the small contract for this season with a bonus and guaranteed money.

Dwill makes 750k this season and his contract was 5 years for 14.5 million.

We just cut a staple Vet from our team over 1 million dollars......

:thumbsup:

and with that said-- THATS makes ONE HELL OF A GREAT POINT.

Dwill is making Marbles compared to his production...

And you dont hear him pulling a Josh Cribbs demanding a new contract.

I think that speaks to his commentment to the team and the relationship he has with the FO.

IMO

With all the $$$ the Panthers have cleared for the 2011 season, and the fact that many consider this year as a throw away, why would they throw Williams away (in a contract year[think of the production capabilities]) just for a #1 pick when they APPEAR to be making sure not TO SPEND BIG this season???

It just doesnt make sense for what is going on this offseason. (Jerry isnt going to pay some kid 45 million dollars for because he is a 1st rounder- this makes giving up this years 1st round pick make more sense[maybe jerry had this planned all along?)

I think that Jerry wants to keep double trouble together for as long as possible and to make sure they can keep them both they are saving the $$$ they need.

DeAngelo Williams is the best thing to happen to this team since Steve Smith.

If you had 2 Steve Smiths you wouldnt trade one of them.

There is no need to get rid of either one, I think they both will have long careers as Panthers.

Also-

Great posts AKPantherFan, I totally agree! The Williams/Stewart combo should most definitely remain intact (at least until we can muster another Superbowl run in a couple years). I know the Panthers organization has done some questionable things in the past, but overall I trust them. Afterall they were the one's with the forsight to draft guy's like DWill & JStew, not to mention others such as Smitty, Peppers, Beason, Gamble, Marshall, etc, etc... Say what you want about Fox and Hurney, but the guy's know how to build a team.

As we all know the Panthers employ a run first type offense. We have the best tandem RB combo in the league, period. Two 1100 yard rushers sharing the load, are you f**kin kidding me??? That my newly found friends is a special blessing that most other NFL teams no nothing about, and right now I don't think the Panther brass is ready to screw up something that valuable, for anything. :) 2 cents

Great posts AKPantherFan, I totally agree! The Williams/Stewart combo should most definitely remain intact (at least until we can muster another Superbowl run in a couple years). I know the Panthers organization has done some questionable things in the past, but overall I trust them. Afterall they were the one's with the forsight to draft guy's like DWill & JStew, not to mention others such as Smitty, Peppers, Beason, Gamble, Marshall, etc, etc... Say what you want about Fox and Hurney, but the guy's know how to build a team.

As we all know the Panthers employ a run first type offense. We have the best tandem RB combo in the league, period. Two 1100 yard rushers sharing the load, are you f**kin kidding me??? That my newly found friends is a special blessing that most other NFL teams no nothing about, and right now I don't think the Panther brass is ready to screw up something that valuable, for anything. :) 2 cents

Thanks- welcome to the Huddle!~

Dwill for Calvin Johnson .... :)

j/k... as long as fox is coach there won't be a "willing" trade of Dwill. If both he and stewart had comparable styles of running I could see it. But they are basically 2 different backs that allow flexibility in the running game for a team that is built to run.

DeAngelo's value is too high right now. The team wants 2nd and 3rd round picks this year, not 1st rounders. I'm not going to say the team got better this offseason by releasing the players they cut BUT what the team did do was put into place the future starters at every position except possibily WR. The Panthers are just looking for backups at this point unless a great deal / draft pick falls into their lap.

There is no way we trade a proven top tier performer just coming into the prime of his career for an unknown draft prospect. There's just no way.

Goodson or Jarrett or Anderson or someone like that, sure, but not DWill or JStew. Ain't going to happen.

I agree, Gixxor, and feel the two of them together can be a focus of the offense. They can even become and known for putting up #'s that no other tandem has, and better yet = lead and carry this team to a Superbowl :thumbsup:

Archived