• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Brenson Buckner predicts....

invisible38833

That JR is setting this team up for sale. I listend to this and wondered... he has a logical thought process. All the big contracts and older players getting kicked to the curb, the team will be about $40MM under last year's salary cap and they will be very young with a lame duck coach and GM. How easy is that for a new owner to come along and mold his own squad. I don't know if want to believe it 100%, but I do think it warrants discussion. JR did fire his sons, he is up there in age and he might want to cash things in once the labor agreement is finalized (or maybe before). The NFL is still a strong league and I have to think a lot of folks would love to buy the team, especially in the current state it is in. So lets began the conversation shall we?

It appears Buckner has been reading posts from my friend Bob Johnson on "another" Panthers board. Dated 2/23/10

Ugh! The stupid gets stupider. Let a 30 year old all pro/all decade franchise player walk and get nothing for him, sounds way too fishy to me. If the Panther's aren't for sale yet, they will be soon. Clearing contracts and making way for an easy sell. Good bye Richardsons. Thanks for bringing the NFL to CLT. Hope the new owners care as much as the Richardsons did. Great owners and a great franchise.[/HTML]

[HTML]The four players with double digit sacks were over 30. That was the point ESPN was making; 30 yearolds don't get double digit sacks unless they're hall of fame players, which Peppers is.

20 million in an uncapped year is the price of doing business and the rewards FAR outweigh the 20 million price tag.

1) Possible trade for draft pick or players.
2) No trade means Peppers has to play hard and make the probowl again in order to get a nice contract in 2011.

Letting him walk gets us nothing and makes us look foolish, unless Richardson is getting ready to sell the team. Why do I think he's looking to sell?

1) Health problems.
2) His sons are no longer with the team.
3) He didn't extend Foxes contract and is letting him coach out his final year.
4) He is not signing free agents and has decided to addressing needs via the draft.
5) He elected to let Peppers walk rather than play hard ball and lock him up for another season, which gives the Panthers the option to trade or play Peppers.
6) No Panther free agents have been signed yet during the uncapped year.

Lowering overhead and letting contracts expire make the team look very appealing to a potential buyer. Richardson is not in good health and he already removed his sons from the front office, that alone makes it look like the team is going to be sold.[/HTML]

Then again, many of the recent actions would be made by an owner expecting a lockout next year. Lose the terrible contracts, get rid of players too old to sit out a year.

I agree with this. A man who is coming to terms with his mortality would want to set up his franchise in the best possible position. With no cap you can dump some of these bad contracts, field a much younger team this year, and possibly set your team up as contenders again if not in `11 then `12 when the league issues are settled.

Archived