• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Perspective on the cuts, and a theory...

Zcustom

It's getting a little ridiculous around here with all the Chicken Littles running around, lets look at these cuts logically.

First, we all know age was a factor but it seems pretty obvious to me that there is a theme to our moves thus far.

IMPROVING SPECIAL TEAMS: We can all agree this has been our weakness for some time,

- Maake and Damion- Had we gone through the season with BOTH of these guys as starters, THEN cut them and subsequently traded for Leonard and Tyler our FO would be getting slurped right now. The fact that we had to trade in-season only meant we found their replacements sooner, contributing to the "we're not making any moves" whiners and appearance of sitting idle.

- Lloyd and Hoover- Keeping 2 FB's and 2 Kickers wasted 2 important roster spots that otherwise would have been occupied by special teams help.

- Diggs, Johnson, Brayton- These guys contributed nothing to special teams and can be replaced with younger rotational guys who can help ST while guys with a few years under their belt (Charles Johnson, Dan Connor) get a shot at the starting lineup.

- The rest of the guys we lost (through cuts or FA) needed to go anyways, so no use in crying over them. (*cough* coach fox *cough*)

So what's the theme here? We are allowing guys who deserve a shot their chance and adding depth that can contribute to arguably our weakest area as well.

I see this as nothing but a win win, so can we stop using phrases like "fire sale" and "throwing away the 2010 season", cuz all I see is a recommitment to ST and winning.

It's getting a little ridiculous around here with all the Chicken Littles running around, lets look at these cuts logically.

First, we all know age was a factor but it seems pretty obvious to me that there is a theme to our moves thus far.

IMPROVING SPECIAL TEAMS: We can all agree this has been our weakness for some time,

- Maake and Damion- Had we gone through the season with BOTH of these guys as starters, THEN cut them and subsequently traded for Leonard and Tyler our FO would be getting slurped right now. The fact that we had to trade in-season only meant we found their replacements sooner, contributing to the "we're not making any moves" whiners and appearance of sitting idle.

- Lloyd and Hoover- Keeping 2 FB's and 2 Kickers wasted 2 important roster spots that otherwise would have been occupied by special teams help.

- Diggs, Johnson, Brayton- These guys contributed nothing to special teams and can be replaced with younger rotational guys who can help ST while guys with a few years under their belt (Charles Johnson, Dan Connor) get a shot at the starting lineup.

- The rest of the guys we lost (through cuts or FA) needed to go anyways, so no use in crying over them. (*cough* coach fox *cough*)

So what's the theme here? We are allowing guys who deserve a shot their chance and adding depth that can contribute to arguably our weakest area as well.

I see this as nothing but a win win, so can we stop using phrases like "fire sale" and "throwing away the 2010 season", cuz all I see is a recommitment to ST and winning.

question? how did any of the back ups deserve a shot? if that was the case should that have started? how have we added depth by cutting vets?

question? how did any of the back ups deserve a shot? if that was the case should that have started? how have we added depth by cutting vets?

At some point you have to let the young guys play, something Fox has always been reluctant to do. Clearly Johnson and Connor (for example) are ready for their shot, what they do with it is the unknown, and what scares Foxy. You could make a strong argument those guys were ready last season.

We will add young depth behind our new starters and those guys will contribute on ST

Please stop.....by your logic, you should always start the vets because the younger guys would have already been playing if they were good.

You continue to post worse every time you type.

Exactly, you have to let the young step in and take a chance on them. This is not Fox football. It also isn't exactly what you do to make a blantant 'run at the super bowl', but at the same time it could very well happen because we still have stars to influence those guys to step it up. There are some very influential people still playing (Beason, Smith, RB core, Harris). 2010 is by no means a 'throw away year' its just not a predictable year, lots of things can and will happen. One things for sure, those playing for the panthers in 2010 are going to have drive to play, which I think is very refreshing.

Please stop.....by your logic, you should always start the vets because the younger guys would have already been playing if they were good.

You continue to post worse every time you type.

by your logic every one who is younger than the player ahead of them is better or deserves a shot. why is that the case? just cause i am not on the fo jock for making a whole bunch of cuts doesnt mean i dont have legimate questions about why you view things a certian way. and no i wont stop i have a right to be on this board same as you do. so there!:D:P

The coming season will be exciting

Fans and coaches have counted on the cut players to deliver the Panthers to the Super Bowl.

We know what those players can do , as history is a record .

Did not get done!

Time to step aside and let others carry the mail.

Without starting the young ones and staying Status Quo with the Vets

You cheat a young player out of his chance to show his stuff

{But if they were Better they would have started}

Steelers cut a QB named UNITAS was not as good as starters

Falcons traded a young Favre was not as good as starter

Saint's traded Delhomme not as good as starter

The way one becomes a VET is by getting a chance

It's that time in Carolina!

This is officially a "youth movement" which is sometimes a dirty word for a "fire sale" but in this case, we're not getting rid of core players, we're getting rid of fringe veterans based on role or simply age to make way for promising younger players.

The coming season will be exciting

Fans and coaches have counted on the cut players to deliver the Panthers to the Super Bowl.

We know what those players can do , as history is a record .

Did not get done!

Time to step aside and let others carry the mail.

Without starting the young ones and staying Status Quo with the Vets

You cheat a young player out of his chance to show his stuff

{But if they were Better they would have started}

Steelers cut a QB named UNITAS was not as good as starters

Falcons traded a young Favre was not as good as starter

Saint's traded Delhomme not as good as starter

The way one becomes a VET is by getting a chance

It's that time in Carolina!

504x_21-gun-salute.jpg

Archived