• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Copper theives in need of further training... (graphic)

Darth Biscuit

A friend of mine in the power industry sent me these... apparently happened sometime in January near Dallas, TX.

This is what 13,200 volts will do to you...

Pretty graphic images... and these weren't the worst ones...

In related news...

Washington man electrocuted by urinating on power line

Grays Harbor County sheriff's Deputy Dave Pimentel (PIM'-en-tel) said Monday 50-year-old Roy Messenger was not seriously hurt after he collided with a power pole Friday and called a relative to pull his car from a ditch.

However, family members found Messenger electrocuted when they arrived.

Pimentel says Messenger apparently urinated into a roadside ditch but didn't see the live wire. The urine stream likely served as a conductor, allowing the electricity to reach his body.

Moral of that story... be careful where you piss... :(

As a former electrician, I can say that it is rare to put over 12Kv through copper. Copper weighs a bunch. Normally the overheads are made up of aluminum cabling that has a steel conductor for strength.

I have seen those photos and much worse in my training over the years.

When I took Anatomy and Physiology for pre-med students (before I flunked out of pre-med), we got a visit from a lady in the burn ward. It was then that I was first exposed to the "fourth degree burn," or basically a burn down to the bone. The photos showed healthy skin, and then abruptly, what looked like a burnt chicken leg with black flakey tissue chipping off of bare bone. She told us it was rarely associated with fires, but rather electricity. She said these types of burns are usually seen after floods when people were standing in water and a powerline comes down. Zap.

It was on that day that I resolved never to participate in any activity that has anything to do with electricity. And I have stuck to it. The only time I have deviated from that resolution since college was last week when I helped install an Alpine system in my buddy's car and unplugged the car battery. Electricity is some scary shiz.

Archived