• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

"A Nightmare on Elm Street" movie poster

Jangler

When will horror movies become original again??

In order for horror movies to be original again, moviemakers need to have incentive to innovate. Presently, they can turn a profit by churning out the same crap. They need a reason to come up with an original concept. In order for that to happen, three things must happen first.

1. Hollywood needs to move on. No more remakes, reboots, rehashes, sequels or prequels. But that won't happen until they stop being profitable. And considering how dirt cheap horror movies are to make, don't hold your breath. (Saw 16 should be coming out soon)

2. Horror movies need to stop being a parody of themselves. Sure I like Raimi's intentionally funny look at horror movies as much as the next guy, but it's cheapening the genre. It's like this rule my boss has; don't point out a flaw unless you have a suggestion to improve it. Poking fun at horror movies in a horror film is pointing out the flaws of the genre, but not proposing a solution. "Scream" pointed out the flaws and offered an original technique to improve upon them; people were aware of the unwritten rules of the horror film and adjusted their actions accordingly to stay alive instead of falling into the same predictable death traps. Very smart.

3. The horror genre can't continue to be hijacked by other film genres. I mean, think about current movies. The biggest vampire movie out recently? A sappy teen romance. The biggest zombie movie? A slapstick comedy. The biggest monster movies? Shot documentary style in POV on a hand-held camcorder.

And it's working for Hollywood. Why stop doing any of these things if it makes them money. You want original horror movies, stop watching the crap. You have that power as a consumer.

Archived