• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

SR-71 Flight Manual

theedaddy

Perfect, this gets declassified. Meanwhile, I have an A-10 Warthog in my driveway that I still don't know how to put in reverse without one of those damned AGM-114 Hellfire Missiles going off. Still waiting for that manual to be released.

Worst twenty grand I ever spent.

I don't think the SR-71 even runs on jet fuel. I think it runs on some wierd fuel that is only made specifically for it.

Think it does, Be pretty stupid to build a aircraft that requires a certain fuel type. They would only be able to get fuel at certain bases.

Think it does, Be pretty stupid to build a aircraft that requires a certain fuel type. They would only be able to get fuel at certain bases.

there are many, many things that are "pretty stupid" involving keeping the blackbird in the air. It had to be refueled midair 4-5 time each mission.That's why it was scraped. They're developing a new one though.

After researching it they did need to develop a new fuel for the blackbird. It's still based on jet fuel but they had to put a bunch of different additives in it for the blackbird.

Isn't this the bird that leaks like a sieve on the ground and then tightens up once it gets to altitude?

My cousin was a USAF KC-135 crew chief, I vaguely remember him talking about different planes but I was too young and distracted to remember much.

yes it is.

When the A-12/SR-71 was being developed, there were all kinds of wierd fuel research projects going on. The one with the most promise as called Boron ZIP fuel - it was incredibly dangerous and difficult to handle but did provide more energy than any of the standard jet fuels. It was cancelled when the B-70 project wound down; but at the time no one without the highest security classifications knew that the SR-71 project was well underway.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zip_fuel

Archived