• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

So who actually remembers the Miracle on Ice?

pstall

Hard to believe it was 30 yrs ago. I was just a kid but can vividly remember it.

It was a storybook with the back drop of the Cold War and the entire country mired in a malaise that was hard to shake. Who knew that a bunch of rag tag hockey kids would give the country a nice shot in the arm of inspiration.

I know the self loathers hate stuff like this but it was amazing to see it then and to here those magical words.."do you believe in miracles?"

I do. What most people don't realize is it wasn't shown live on TV. They kept showing score updates under the skiing or whatever else was going on. It was hugely uplifting at the time. The country was just coming off 4 yrs of Carter, iran hostage crisis, hard economic times and a very real feeling that America had slipped in the world. It was all anyone talked about for weeks afterward. Especially the medal ceremony where Eruzione called all his teammates up on to the stand and goalie Jim Craig looking for his recently widowed father in the stands while he skated around with the flag draped over his shoulders.

other part was that wasn't the gold medal game. USA had to beat Finland for the gold. That game was shown live and was a great hockey game on its own

A trick Trivial Pursuit question :cool:

I do and I kind of miss the days when it was college athletes instead of pros competing in the Olympics (goes for more than just hockey).

our college kids were playing against pros....it was truly a Miracle. Other than that fluke year, Olympic hockey was a joke with most of the best players in the NHL and the Soviets winning every year. Literally. So, i dont htink it was a good idea to have it that way. But, you might get your wish, i heard them talking today on ESPN that Bettman may eventually end the NHL shutdown for the olympics..

btw, here is the Soviet Olympic record

Gold 1956

Bronze 1960

Gold 1964

Gold 1968

Gold 1972

Gold 1976

Silver 1980

Gold 1984

Gold 1988

Yes, I remember that other countries didn't play with amateurs - that's what made the win so great. I still don't like seeing NHL and NBA athletes in the Olympics. I also don't like seeing the top tennis players in the world there either. That's not the spirit of the Olympics.

Yes, I remember that other countries didn't play with amateurs - that's what made the win so great. I still don't like seeing NHL and NBA athletes in the Olympics. I also don't like seeing the top tennis players in the world there either. That's not the spirit of the Olympics.

Hmmm...okay, I have to wonder about this. Because the spirit of the Olympics, in part, is to showcase the nonpareil of athleticism from each country, right? So don't Lebron James and Roger Federer fit that description?

Archived