• Welcome!

Register and log in easily with Twitter or Google accounts!

Or simply create a new Huddle account. 

Members receive fewer ads , access our dark theme, and the ability to join the discussion!

Relocation question....

Jmac

6 minutes ago, jayboogieman said:

That's not an if. He'll want the tax payers to pay for his shiny new toy.

Right. Most of them do. Corporate welfare. And when the city council gets mad about it he will just move the team. It’s a method that’s worked several times before. Team relocated to a new market and gets a brand new state of the art stadium for the league to show off in a Super Bowl a few years later. 

• Beer 1

3 minutes ago, Tbe said:

That’s the only possible way I could see other owners backing a relocation.

They don’t want any city (especially one like Charlotte) to get away with not paying big for a stadium.

I don’t believe owners have ever stopped a relocation in any American sport. It’s basically a rubber stamp if they want to move. 

some of yall, and I’m not accusing you of this, think the center of the universe is Charlotte. 

16 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

It’s comical to think you or anyone else knows what a butthurt billionaire is going to do with his NFL team

If the NFL loves Charlotte so much how come we haven’t hosted a draft or hosted a Super Bowl? 

21 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I 100% believe Tepper to the be that type of owner to completely wear out his welcome here, piss off everyone in the city and alienate the fans with a below average product on and off the field and then “take his ball and go home” and move the team as one final F-U to everyone. George Shinn style.

You're the person speculating what Tepper will do.  I only stated that Charlotte is a large market and already has a team.

Otherwise, plenty of cities don't host drafts or Super Bowls.  I'd suspect the NFL never involves emotion in such decisions.  Instead mild weather, destination attractions, visitor capacity and maximizing revenue are more important.  There's a reason Miami and New Orleans have hosted 21 Super Bowls.

Just because Charlotte isn't a tourist city that tops the list for hosting major events doesn't mean it isn't a great market for a NFL team, so not sure what argument you're even trying to make.

1 minute ago, Newtcase said:

You're the person speculating what Tepper will do.  I only stated that Charlotte is a large market and already has a team.

Otherwise, plenty of cities don't host drafts or Super Bowls.  I'd suspect the NFL never involves emotion in such decisions.  Instead mild weather, destination attractions, visitor capacity and maximizing revenue are more important.  There's a reason Miami and New Orleans have hosted 21 Super Bowls.

Just because Charlotte isn't a tourist city that tops the list for hosting major events doesn't mean it isn't a great market for a NFL team, so not sure what argument you're even trying to make.

Charlotte is a large growing city and can sustain an NfL team. I agree that I am also speculating what Tepper would do but I do not agree with the notion that the NFL would block him from moving the team anywhere he wants. 

2 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I do not agree with the notion that the NFL would block him from moving the team anywhere he wants. 

If that were true the Raiders would be in LA.

But the real truth is none of us know what would happen if he wanted to move.  We do know Charlotte is a good market that the NFL has already invested in.

Edited by Newtcase

Just now, Newtcase said:

If that were true the Raiders would be in LA.

I don’t get what point u trying to make 

LA now has two teams and the raiders are in a market that 20 years ago people said would never ever have a professional sports team there because of gambling 

7 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I don’t believe owners have ever stopped a relocation in any American sport. It’s basically a rubber stamp if they want to move. 

some of yall, and I’m not accusing you of this, think the center of the universe is Charlotte. 

Didn’t the Seahawks try to move to Anaheim in the 90s but was blocked?

1 minute ago, Tbe said:

Didn’t the Seahawks try to move to Anaheim in the 90s but was blocked?

I do remember that Shinn was such a horrible  businessman and NBA owner he basically bankrupt the NO Hornets and the team was absorbed by the NBA 

12 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

And when the city council gets mad about it he will just move the team.

Which city council are you talking about?  Because, when it comes to footing the bill for arenas and stadium renovations, the Charlotte City Council has never been afraid to bend over for billionaires.

1 hour ago, Jmac said:

Let's say baldy gets a wild hair and does try and move. Would we ever get another team?

Would the NFL approve of the move? 

How many years before we actually got another team here realistically?

Would MLB jump the shark and put a team here first?

Opinions please...

I think it's far more likely that the NFL would oust  Tepper before they would allow him to move out of a top 10 market in one of the hottest growing cities in the US

15 minutes ago, 4Corners said:

I don’t get what point u trying to make

You are arguing that you think the NFL would rubber stamp any move Tepper wanted to make unless I'm understanding you wrong.  I brought up the Raiders because they tried to move to LA at the same time the Rams and Chargers did.  Rams were told yes, Chargers were given a year, Raiders were told NO unless the Chargers didn't complete their move. 

The point I'm making is the NFL doesn't just rubber stamp what owners want to do.  If they did, Raiders would be in LA instead of Vegas.